PDA

View Full Version : Stihl Br 55o won't start

Dunn's
10-22-2009, 04:12 PM
Yesterday when using one of the 550's it was running fine but then ran out of gas after filling it would not restart.

So today I took the carb off and soaked it in carb cleaner then spray it down with carb cleaner and sprayed out every opening and jet.

Still won't start.

before it stopped yesterday when ever you pulled the starting handle you had to come out about 4-5 inches then it would kind of catch like it was locked. Then pull from that point and it started right up.

I am guessing the lock was compression, but now it pulls right from the fully wrapped position a little easier the normal. But know matter how many times you pull nothing.

Any ideas.

South Florida Lawns
10-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Is it getting spark and fuel?

Dunn's
10-24-2009, 01:54 AM
getting spark

pretty sure it is getting fuel

Dunn's
10-24-2009, 01:55 AM
any ideas?

jlbf0786
10-24-2009, 02:22 AM
I would adjust the valves, assuming its not yet been done.
Go to your local dealer, pick up one of the Stihl valve guages.. they're cheap, in fact my Stihl dealer just gave me one free of charge!
Heres a link that tells you exactly how to reset the valves to the Stihl specs.
http://www.cdcstihl.net/techtips/tips_v1n2_sm07.pdf

I just done this same thing, it takes no time once you get the plastic parts off.

Hope this helps, good luck!

ricky86
10-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Usually, the kick back is a valve lash problem. Adjust them. After that, make sure the engine isn't flooded. Try turn it upside down and see if any fuel come out the plug hole. Then I would try adding a small amount of fuel in the hole, replace the plug and see if it pops. If not, might need a module. Checking spark with a plug or a tester rated for points and condenser ignition tells you nothing. Pretty dangerous too. Or it might have a completely different problem.

SimonCX
10-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Check the compression because if the rope pulls very easy then usually there is no compression and the rings are probably shot.

Dunn's
10-24-2009, 11:07 PM
ok when I am trying to start the Br 550 now it seems to either be expelling or sucking in alot of air. it seems to be coming from the carb.

it may have made this sound before but we just never noticed it because it was working and when you pulled it started so the engine noise very well could have covered up the air sound.

Dunn's
10-24-2009, 11:39 PM
I adjusted the valves as best I could with the feeler gauges I had only problem is mine was double what they are calling for.

so I will see if I can get the valve adjustment kit on monday

RonAyersMotorsports
10-27-2009, 01:19 PM
Sounds like you just need to take it in to your local STIHL dealer before you mess the thing up worse than it is. These engines hardly give many problems. And when they do the repair is generally simple for a trained mechanic. Unfortunately you've not given anyone enough info. to help you online.

Dunn's
10-29-2009, 09:08 PM
2/4 cycles are not worth taking into the dealer when they are out of warranty. If we can't fix them we just sell them as not running on craigslist or ebay and buy a new one and move the older of the blowers on that truck to back up. unless it already was the back up like in this case. then the back up just becomes the back up.

no way we can spend $200+ dollars to repair a $390 dollar machine and you have to buy new equipment every so often no matter how much you don't want to.

You should see or back up trimmer pile I think there is 12 in there right now some running some not, Most have been scavenged through to keep other machines running or fix triggers or housing etc....

Just figured I would make a post to see if there was any common problems with the 550's that someone knew about that might be like our situation.

This is the first 550 we have had that has went down other then the fuel lines getting holes in them which seems to happen once a year or so, pretty easy fix for that though.

Guess it will be going into the back up/scrap/scavenge pile for the blowers.

Thanks for all the help so far.

check back with me in mid december I may have some non running trimmers and blowers for sale, When i get around to cleaning up the shop.

ed2hess
10-29-2009, 10:35 PM
2/4 cycles are not worth taking into the dealer when they are out of warranty. If we can't fix them we just sell them as not running on craigslist or ebay and buy a new one and move the older of the blowers on that truck to back up. unless it already was the back up like in this case. then the back up just becomes the back up.

no way we can spend $200+ dollars to repair a $390 dollar machine and you have to buy new equipment every so often no matter how much you don't want to.

You should see or back up trimmer pile I think there is 12 in there right now some running some not, Most have been scavenged through to keep other machines running or fix triggers or housing etc....

Just figured I would make a post to see if there was any common problems with the 550's that someone knew about that might be like our situation.

This is the first 550 we have had that has went down other then the fuel lines getting holes in them which seems to happen once a year or so, pretty easy fix for that though.

Guess it will be going into the back up/scrap/scavenge pile for the blowers.

Thanks for all the help so far.

check back with me in mid december I may have some non running trimmers and blowers for sale, When i get around to cleaning up the shop.

I agree with you totally......I worked on 9 Echo trimmers for our business the past two weeks. Each one would have been over $100 and more to fix. The 2 stroke is pretty easy to work. I hang around our local shop on saturday and watch them work on stuff.....it is simply not true that the 4-mix is reliable and it is definitely harder to work on problems. More parts to fail.