PDA

View Full Version : Lighting up in a tree.

jlouki01
10-22-2009, 08:13 PM
I am new to lighting but have taken quite a liking to it. Using my house as a guinea pig I started here..

I have quite a few very large silver maples on the property and some very nice river birch.

I picked up a book by Janet Lennox on lighting. It opened my eyes to using multiple lights on a single object to highlight all of it's features.

My question is I have a huge birch I put one well light and 2 bullets. Looks very impressive. It doesn't seem to need anything else because of the leaf size.

However the maples with the same lighting are in desperate need of something up in the tree to finish it off. I can post some pics tomorrow of the actual trees. In the meantime does anyone have any examples.. picture or drawn of I could rig this up. ( Fyi I understand how the concept and hookup works ) just looking for an idea of bulb type and fixture type.

jlouki01
10-22-2009, 08:16 PM
Oddly enough I found an old picture ( bad ) of one of the trees in question.

steveparrott
10-23-2009, 03:12 PM
You might this article to be helpful: http://www.cast-lighting.com/learning/articles/3_article_Landscape-Lighting-Imitates-Nature

Pro-Scapes
10-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Steve that is an EXCELLENT article. Very well written thanks for sharing it.

I like how you mentioned for designers to consider where people might be looking when a particular area is in use. I was called out to a job someone else installed. 2 perfect trees for downlighting were near the edge of a patio but there was also a hot tub on the edge of the patio. When someone would recline in the hot tub to relax they were staring into a mercury vapor lamp. Not very relaxing.

Solution was to put a switch on the Mercury vapor and uplight the trees. This allows the client to have the soothing background lighting and the ability to switch on the mercury vapor light if they are entertaining back there and needed the added punch (wow thoes things are bright)

jlouki01
10-23-2009, 10:26 PM
I guess I should have been more clear. I want to light up into the tree. The base canopy is so dense the light from the ground level bullets and well are only going up so high.

S&MLL
10-24-2009, 12:55 AM
http://coppermoon.com/images/products/cm-125/cm-125_l_a.jpg

http://coppermoon.com/images/products/cm-coppermount/cm-coppermount_l.jpg

or

http://coppermoon.com/images/products/cm-115/cm-115_l.jpg\

Cast makes a nice one as does unique

Some of these

http://www.boltdepot.com/images/catalog/hanger-bolt-with-shank.gif

And

http://www.absolutesource.com/thumbnail.php?images/products/84_sm.jpg&width=280&height=400&canGrow=false&quality=75

Also a ladder

Pro-Scapes
10-24-2009, 12:20 PM
Your showing him coppermoon then mentioning CAST.

Bullet lights peroperly mounted in the tree prefferably out of sight is the way to go.

S&MLL
10-24-2009, 11:08 PM
Unique too.

Just spreading the love Bill

Pro-Scapes
10-25-2009, 08:20 AM
If you dont properly know how to mount a tree light search back in older threads for this information so that you do not damage your trees. it has been discussed multiple times

Alan B
10-25-2009, 10:26 AM
Steve,

Great article--especially liked the examples shown in latter part of article--very helpful and useful info.

Many think of moonlighting only as an effect (i.e. read too much into the name). Article shows that it is an extremely practical method for lighting larger areas (driveways, walkways, grassy areas) with a couple fixtures. Not to mention the balance it provides to break-up an all up light design.

Thanks for sharing.

Alan

Eden Lights
10-29-2009, 09:41 PM
I am new to lighting but have taken quite a liking to it. Using my house as a guinea pig I started here..

I have quite a few very large silver maples on the property and some very nice river birch.

I picked up a book by Janet Lennox on lighting. It opened my eyes to using multiple lights on a single object to highlight all of it's features.

My question is I have a huge birch I put one well light and 2 bullets. Looks very impressive. It doesn't seem to need anything else because of the leaf size.

However the maples with the same lighting are in desperate need of something up in the tree to finish it off. I can post some pics tomorrow of the actual trees. In the meantime does anyone have any examples.. picture or drawn of I could rig this up. ( Fyi I understand how the concept and hookup works ) just looking for an idea of bulb type and fixture type.

I have a job coming up and The Arch speced all the downlights (43) to be mounted at 40' If you need some practice, I will hold the ladder?

Eddie

Pro-Scapes
10-29-2009, 10:59 PM
sounds like its time to get that spider lift back in there Eddie.

What kind of trees will they be ? We have a couple jobs where we had to illuminate large areas where we mounted the lunars at the 40 ft area.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-29-2009, 11:50 PM
Eddie, You can let the Architect know that there really is not that much difference in effect between treemounted downlighting at 40' off the ground and at 30' off the ground. There is of course a huge difference in the cost of installation and the amount of risk that the installers will have to cope with.

I have installed extensively at both heights and see no advantage to that last 10' of elevation. In fact, I am in the process of moving all of the 40' high treelights I have in the field down to the 30' level as they require service. The risks and expense of the higher height are just not worth it.

Regards

Jeremy Sviben
11-01-2009, 07:26 PM
James, I think we all can appreciate this. The only exception I have found would be mature pines. Sometimes you have to go high to tuck a fixture into the naturally perfect shrouding and 360 days a year shadowing these great trees have to offer us. Jeremy Sviben
Botanicallighting.com

drewguy
11-03-2009, 02:13 PM
James, I think we all can appreciate this. The only exception I have found would be mature pines. Sometimes you have to go high to tuck a fixture into the naturally perfect shrouding and 360 days a year shadowing these great trees have to offer us. Jeremy Sviben
Botanicallighting.com

But those other 5 days they look really terrible!
:)

Pro-Scapes
11-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Botanicallighting.com

95% of the time all we have to work with is pines.. Way to many of the great trees in and around homes were removed via Hurricane Katrina.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-03-2009, 10:08 PM
There are pine tree and then there are pine trees! :)

Our white pines here (not old growth) tend to soar up to between 60 and 100 feet from the ground, with some even taller, and have fantastic trunk and branch structures to work with. These and the Hemlock's provide us with some very cool moonlighting opportunities.

I would love to someday get a job out on Vancouver Island or the Pacific NW USA, and have the opportunity to moonlight from as well as uplight some of the amazing old growth Cedar and Redwood trees. Now those trees are truly remarkable.

(Photo is of a white pine here in Muskoka)

Pro-Scapes
11-04-2009, 07:37 AM
on Mature pines here you wont see any branch structure until much higher (80 ft range. Cant go that high unless you doing merc vapors like 3 other companies are here.