PDA

View Full Version : 1st yard today.

tropical breeze
10-22-2009, 09:26 PM
I have handed out 6 flyers and in one week got a call to do a sub shop on a 1/2 acre lot. The average cost is around 20 to 30 dollars per cut So I said I would do it for $ 20.00 so I did not have everything ready to go because didnt think I would get any call just handing out 6 flyers So I went to home depot. I KNOW!!!! got a weed wacker and ran home and loaded my mustang thats right mustang. Mower in front seat and everything else sticking out the window. It looked so funny. So I get there and the guys says would you like to relandscape the place for me. ANSWER YES and to sort it up My first account started off as a $ 20.00 cut and ended up a 470 dollar job. and he wants me to come back every 2 weeks for the winter. Great 1st. cut maybe this is a sign that Im doing the right thing.

RHooper
10-22-2009, 09:31 PM
CONGRATS ! on your first one, and best of luck to you.

Rick :clapping:

LouisianaLawnboy
10-22-2009, 10:59 PM
Hilarious. Good luck to you man. Also raise your prices.
Posted via Mobile Device

tropical breeze
10-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Thanks. In this area it was loaded with home builders and now thats gone alot of them have moved in to the lawn care business. When I was cutting his lawn a car pulled up and handed him a flyer. I didnt think anything of it. But later after I was done he showed me the flyer and it said winter special $ 20.00 a cut. Glad I wasnt at 25 or 30 bucks on this one may have lost the landscape job to them. If I average $ 30.00 an hour that works for me for now I am solo and everything I have right now is payed for not the best stuff but starts first try and the blades are sharp. I cant wait to get # 2

RHooper
10-23-2009, 09:04 AM
Hello again,
If you don't mind a little advice, price your work according to what makes YOU profitable, don't base off of what someone else is doing. I call it the "R C C", which stands for "RUMOR CONTROL COMMISSION". If you listen to all the rumors, and try to copy the others, you may be cheating yourself. The others may not be profitable. (And, at $20.00 or less per cut, I doubt they are) You price your work in order to be profitable, do great work, take great care of your customers, keep your equipment up, and I am sure you will do well. And don't be so quick to listen to the R C C ! Good luck !

Rick

tropical breeze
10-23-2009, 08:12 PM
Thanks today I averaged $ 32.00 per hour PROFIT thats right were I want to be this year and next year $ 35.00 per hour this is my goal. I would like to get enough work to work 35 to 40 hrs a week . I do understand what you are saying if I price to low and have 100 customers I will still make nothing. I understand business perfect we are in this to make money. I manage a 7 million dollar restaurant Trust me I understand a P&L very well. Once again thanks for the feedback.

tropical breeze
10-30-2009, 01:39 PM
This job just turned in to him wanting me to do more landscapeing at the sub shop and he also wants me to take care of his yard now which is on 3 lots. Very cool. I guess he liked my work.

joeman13
10-30-2009, 11:00 PM
******d!!!! Good Luck. 20$ for 1/2 acre. Not so much. More like $60 if you do a good job.

joeman13
10-30-2009, 11:03 PM
Put a picture of your equiptment in work and in the car

joeman13
10-30-2009, 11:05 PM
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/curioustoe/redneck_lawn_mowing.jpg

Theres you! :))

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-30-2009, 11:05 PM
Put a picture of your equiptment in work and in the car

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

LouisianaLawnboy
10-30-2009, 11:09 PM
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/curioustoe/redneck_lawn_mowing.jpg

Theres you! :))

I've seen it before, but can't help it.

You might be a redneck if your riding mower is an ATV.

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-30-2009, 11:11 PM
I love that four wheeler picture hahaha.

I know it ain't yours, but save payin the other dude and duct tape the mower to the 4 wheeler :D :laugh:

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-30-2009, 11:11 PM
You can totally tell it's in the south. Look at the bahia haahah.

LouisianaLawnboy
10-30-2009, 11:13 PM
You can totally tell it's in the south. Look at the bahia haahah.

Watch it, Yank.:laugh::laugh:

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-30-2009, 11:14 PM
Watch it, Yank.:laugh::laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'd rather live in the south than the north any day!! Just need to raise the rates and make the grass show stripes!!

joeman13
10-30-2009, 11:15 PM
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g221/Joeman13/mower.jpg

There we goo!! Lol

joeman13
10-30-2009, 11:18 PM
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g221/Joeman13/Presentation1.jpg

Nvmd i forgot. Now its right :)

LouisianaLawnboy
10-30-2009, 11:20 PM
That mustang ain't right.

http://blog.platerage.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/beater-truck.jpg

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-30-2009, 11:21 PM
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g221/Joeman13/Presentation1.jpg

Nvmd i forgot. Now its right :)

HHAHAHAHAHAH :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I got in trouble for saying hes a lowballer, but it's so true!!!!

If this gets deleted that is BS!!!

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-30-2009, 11:23 PM

:laugh::laugh:
Even better!!!! HAHHAA

Watch us all get on "lawn site probation" because of this haha!!

J & D Greens
10-31-2009, 01:32 PM
I think if we all look back on things, we did not get paid enough for what we did starting out. I learned from my mistakes and hope to keep from repeating them. I'm sure he will too. Just keep your eye on your successes and build up from there. Good luck!!!!!

tropical breeze
11-02-2009, 09:13 AM
Guys those pics are so funny. I think Im going to print it out and put it on my fridg So I never forget my first cut. I cant wait to see what my picture will look like in 2 years.

Turfrific
11-02-2009, 01:12 PM
can i see some pics of your lawn and service equipment plz.

ron mexico75
11-03-2009, 12:14 PM
can i see some pics of your lawn and service equipment plz.

You already did, they are posted on the previous page :laugh:

Jhill19
11-03-2009, 01:47 PM

I believe you meant to put "Rustang"!!!

Hoy landscaping
11-03-2009, 02:27 PM
ur low balling. raise ur prices. also, a truck or suv woul be better, dont wana ruin the mustang. but best of luck.

Jhill19
11-03-2009, 02:33 PM
All about image man, sell that stang and get something that will look more professional if you really wanna do this.

WGLandscapeMaintenance
11-03-2009, 03:40 PM
All about image man

Thumbs Up .

tropical breeze
11-05-2009, 06:46 PM
That is the plan to get a truck just havent got one yet hopefully next week. Didnt have any plans on starting so fast but didnt want to lose a customer.So I did what I had to to get it done.

Jhill19
11-05-2009, 06:56 PM
I wouldnt really call it starting fast, more like unprepared... I started mowing when I was 11 years old. Are you gonna get rid of that mustang? But seriously get some pictures up ASAP.

tropical breeze
11-06-2009, 10:53 PM
Sorry boys mustang is gone traded it in today for a 95 f150 stepside 5.0 sweet truck for the money and sounds like a beast. Will put up picks soon. Thanks for the laughs

S L C
11-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Thanks today I averaged $ 32.00 per hour PROFIT thats right were I want to be this year and next year $ 35.00 per hour this is my goal. I would like to get enough work to work 35 to 40 hrs a week . I do understand what you are saying if I price to low and have 100 customers I will still make nothing. I understand business perfect we are in this to make money. I manage a 7 million dollar restaurant Trust me I understand a P&L very well. Once again thanks for the feedback.

how much are you paying for liability insurance?? paying sales tax into the state as well right?? :sleeping:

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
11-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Guys like this make me look good !!!

tradingknivesforblades
11-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Good afternoon all,

My first post............

I have spent the past 4 weeks catching up and reading your insightful posts throughout this site. I have learned a lot with much more to still learn. I have been working on setting up my business since Sept and I am proud to announce that I am ready to start a new career this upcoming spring. So I just ordered my equipment, I pick up my enclosed trailer next week and my marketing strategy is on track. I am excited about owning my own business. I have been working in food service for 32 years. I had always performed lawn care as a side job for neighbors and for good or bad decided I could make a living doing it full time. So wish me luck.
Many of you were sources of inspiration as I just sat back and read. So thanks!

tropical breeze
11-09-2009, 11:30 AM
SORRY !!! Mike with comments like that do you really think that makes you look good ?? If so think again !!! Next time you pat yourself on the back kick yourself in the ass for me. For the last post I hear ya Been in the restaurant business for over 22 yrs and am done with the crazy hours. Hope my new adventure takes off fast so I can do lawn care fulltime. insurance is around $650 yr not sure why you want to know and will be using quick books for my book keeping. I need a few more things to be ready to go on the road but get paid every 2 weeks and using some of that money to get what I need just small stuff left all the big stuff is done. I have nothing great but as I grow so will my equipment dont want to much overhead to start I learned that from owning my own restaurant in the past.

tstutz
11-09-2009, 07:51 PM
haha nice job

S L C
11-09-2009, 09:49 PM
$650 a year? what are you insuring?..... lmao:dizzy::dizzy:

XLS
11-09-2009, 10:09 PM
slc it looks like his equipment to me, we have our startup locations in the $650 range

punt66
11-10-2009, 05:32 AM
$650 a year? what are you insuring?..... lmao:dizzy::dizzy:

Thats the typical liability policy cost. What i think is that most of you are not legal.

XLS
11-10-2009, 08:48 AM
punt 66 tell him what he needs as a whole as far as ins.

tropical breeze
11-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Yes this is liability of $ 600,000. I am going solo untill I need help. Is there other insurance I need ????

XLS
11-10-2009, 10:17 AM
tropical as a solo tech. no but they will say all kinds of stuff so be ready but you really need to get dental ins because of all the dust from the lawns and leaves will eat out your teeth j/k

XLS
11-10-2009, 10:18 AM
as a solo you take sole responsibility on personal injury and your in will not cover that either

Stevegotcrabgrass
11-12-2009, 09:21 PM
Around my way I get 2 Million of coverage plus $5000 for Equipment for around $1100 a year. That doesn't include the truck.

XLS
11-14-2009, 09:48 PM
we get 1mil coverage and 500,000 mil equip and auto for around 4500 a year on our big locations

ADVANCEDOHIO
11-25-2009, 12:56 PM
This thread is killing me.... Its hilarious!!! The 4-Wheeler pic.... OMG!!!! I may have wet myself laughing at this. Anybody new.... GOOD LUCK!!!

ADVANCEDOHIO
11-25-2009, 01:04 PM
169011 Im still Laughing!!!!

MnDLawn
11-26-2009, 06:00 PM
http://post-a-cat.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/f-funny-cat-3539.jpg

Jhill19
11-30-2009, 02:49 PM
169011 Im still Laughing!!!!

Haha good luck backing up with that thing.

TwoBrosLawn
12-02-2009, 03:04 AM
I pay 480.00 for the year liability for the business only no equipment and my truck is seperate. I think its 2mil. Gotta start somewhere i have been in business since 2004 no employees. next spring im working on 3-5 more subdivisions, i have been a part timer to my business until now...im tired of working for people and the money is great. good luck

BearWise Landscapers
12-02-2009, 03:41 PM
SORRY !!! Mike with comments like that do you really think that makes you look good ?? If so think again !!! Next time you pat yourself on the back kick yourself in the ass for me. For the last post I hear ya Been in the restaurant business for over 22 yrs and am done with the crazy hours. Hope my new adventure takes off fast so I can do lawn care fulltime. insurance is around $650 yr not sure why you want to know and will be using quick books for my book keeping. I need a few more things to be ready to go on the road but get paid every 2 weeks and using some of that money to get what I need just small stuff left all the big stuff is done. I have nothing great but as I grow so will my equipment dont want to much overhead to start I learned that from owning my own restaurant in the past.

Thats the typical liability policy cost. What i think is that most of you are not legal.

Yes this is liability of $ 600,000. I am going solo untill I need help. Is there other insurance I need ????

Tropical Breeze,

I just read some of these posts. I wish you the best in your new venture and would probably agree with some of these guys that you shouldn't sell yourself short on price. It seems like you are a good salesman though to get a few jobs with only the equipment you have.

Keep in mind that when comparing insurance, the rates are different in every state. Florida tends to have higher rates and there have been responses from Wisconsin, Tennessee, Connecticut, and other states. If you don't have much equipment, I would recommend that you start with just liability insurance. I recommend higher limits than $600,000 and there really is not much of an increase in price to go up to $1,000,000 per occurence and $2,000,000 limits for the policy term.

Assuming you aren't trimming trees or doing anything outside of the ordinary lawn care and landscape installation business, you can get a liability policy for a lower premium than 650 dollars. I would prefer to send this message to you in a private message, but I am still new to this forum and haven't figured those out yet. Travelers Insurance Company has very competitive rates right now and their general liability policies include many additional coverages. They also do not charge for adding additional insureds to your policy which will be important if you add more commercial projects. For just one owner and no employees, we can write your business a 1-year policy in Florida for 415 dollars. This will be billed with no downpayment and 4 quarterly installments with the first one due 2 weeks after the binding date. If you would like more information, please visit our website listed in my signature and complete our online quote request form by clicking the 'Get an Insurance Quote' link above the menu. I hope this is helpful and regardless of which insurance agency you choose, I wish you the best in your business. Feel free to contact me if you ever have any questions about insurance coverages.

-Drew

PS - I agree with everyone else, I would like to see a picture of that first job when you put the lawnmower inside of your Mustang!