PDA

View Full Version : credit cards

dtford
10-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Have had a customer in my town for about 10 years, It's the local post office.
Gross receipts w/ snowplowing is approx. 2800-3000 per year. They now want to change the payment process to credit cards. I don't take credit cards, and have no idea what to do. I have approx. 85-90 weekly customers who all pay with a check, and it works out fine for me. They've told me the only way they can continue keeping me as a vendor, is if I accept credit cards. I don't want to lose a customer, but I'm too stupid, and too mom and pop to be able to handle accepting credit cards from customers. Any suggestions ? Thanks

zturncutter
10-22-2009, 10:28 PM
Do you use Quickbooks, if so they will handle it seamlessly.

DuallyVette
10-22-2009, 11:33 PM
become a Costco Executive Member. Go to Costco.com and search for business services. They will hook you up with Aveon cc services. They have the lowest rates that I've found. You just punch in the numbers, or scan the card. The $$ shows up in your checking account in about a day.

Pythium
10-23-2009, 09:23 AM
Yea Quickbooks will do it for you.

Or Do you have a paypal account? They can pay that way with a credit card. Then you have the money deposited into your bank account. Little more of a PITA but if it keeps 2-3k of reciepts then maybe worth it.

DuallyVette
10-23-2009, 07:45 PM
Quickbook was a lot more expensive that Costco/Aveon.

DUSTYCEDAR
10-23-2009, 07:53 PM
there r all kind of hidden fees

dtford
10-23-2009, 10:39 PM
please elaborate on hidden fees. what kinds of hassles am I in store for ?
any help would be appreciated

jbturf
10-23-2009, 11:35 PM
i did QB last year for my electronics biz and they charged me like 30 or 50 a month plus processing fees -- ended up canceling it pretty quickly it wasnt worth it for me
there are hidden fees they dont tell you about up front-- it may be in the fine print so
pay attention
g/l

Hanau
10-23-2009, 11:40 PM
It's not worth it for one customer. If you can get 70% of your business through credit cards then it's worth it. Spread those fees out over a lot of customers.

Next season I'm going to switch 100% of the mowing over to credit cards and the fert/squirt I'm starting as well.

If you sell high dollar installs such as decks, landscape, hardscape then credit cards are great. It's easier to sell Johnny and Suzy Homeowner a big project if they can just charge it. Damn near gurantees you'll be paid as well.

Do your research, there are tons of merchant accounts out there for you to use.

DuallyVette
10-24-2009, 12:32 AM
With the "Costco/Aveon/Executive Membership" I pay $20 a month minimun. Based on a 1.9% + about 27 cents per entry. So If you charge $1000 on 1 customers card, you bill will be $19.00 + $.27 and you will be charged the $20 minimum fee. The Costco Executive membership costs $100 a year. I get 2% back on all Costco purchases I make a year ( including gas, which is already the best price around) I just got a check from them for $120 for last year, and now they will be charging my American Express Costco credit card the $100 annual membership fee...so I came out a few dollars head. The AmEx card also gives me 3% ( was 5% last year) back on up to $3000 or so on gas purchases made anywhere. Last year there was no dollar limit, and they sent me a check over $700.00

DuallyVette
10-24-2009, 12:58 AM
I started taking credit cards to try to collect a couple of past due accounts. They didn't have the money, but they had the credit. I collected. I just have a few year round customers that I use the cc on monthly.

I really don't want to sit and punch in 100 cc numbers each month, or give up about 2%.

2% of $1,000 is $20
2% of $10,000 is $200

zturncutter
10-25-2009, 11:55 AM
I started taking credit cards to try to collect a couple of past due accounts. They didn't have the money, but they had the credit. I collected. I just have a few year round customers that I use the cc on monthly.

I really don't want to sit and punch in 100 cc numbers each month, or give up about 2%.

2% of $1,000 is $20
2% of $10,000 is $200

Yes Quickbooks is more expensive than some, but you only input the information 1 time. You click on recieve payments for the customer each month and everything including the deposit to your account is done. You also can set up each account to debit the card automatically deposit the funds into your sccount and its entered into your records in Quickbooks. As said before it depends on the size of your business as to whether or not it is of value to you or not.

lka123
10-25-2009, 07:09 PM
when I get to my office in the morning I'll send you the info on the company I use. I do every thing over the internet. They was the best on fees that a found. Some one here on the forms gave me the info. Ill fill it would be a good move for you!!!!!

dtford
10-25-2009, 07:37 PM
thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it. It's tough to teach and old dog