PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Pavers

CT18fireman
05-10-2002, 08:05 AM
Been installing pavers for many years but yesterday got a call for something I have not thought of doing. I was asked by someone if I would clean the patio. I have to do some resetting of their patio (I did not do the install) and they also asked me to clean the dirt and in some cases mildew off. I have a powerwasher.

What would you guys suggest I use for a cleaner. I know I will have to be careful not to destroy the pavers with the powerwasher.

Any thoughts?

How would you price it?

BRL
05-10-2002, 09:11 AM
Head to your better paver suppliers and you will find products for that. I haven't used any yet, but I've seen them on the shelves. I have taken a screw driver and run it down the cracks, blew off the sand, dirt, & debris that came out, and swept fresh sand in and that made a great difference for those locations. In those cases the pavers weren't dirty or mildew covered so there wasn't need for anything more than what I did at the time. I'll be curious to hear what the others who have used products say to know what to do in the future.

Clay Trussell
05-10-2002, 11:06 AM
Basic Bleach works great and it is cheep. Or if it is realy dirty try using a product called purple power.

Stonehenge
05-10-2002, 04:18 PM
Whatcha cleaning?

If it's moss or mold, bleach is the ticket. If it's stains or rust, get a paver cleaner or efflouresence cleaner - they are acidic (muriatic usually), so dilute well before you test in an inconspicuous spot. We like to use those with a small scrub brush with broom handle attached, to get some good scrubbing power on the affected pavers.

Price - figure out what you're cleaning, the running around you'll have to do to get the chemicals, the size of the project and the time you'll spend cleaning, and you'll have an idea.

kris
05-10-2002, 09:37 PM
Ive cleaned and sealed many driveways using a pressure washer and a bit of "tide". Lightly scrub and wash. These were not tough stains ...mainly just the black tire marks you see over time on the drives.

bobby perez
05-10-2002, 09:47 PM
Muaratic acid should do the trick since pavers are a cement based product plus you get more bang for your buck,for cleaning. For mildew use the bleach .

Backyard Designer
01-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Need to clean some concrete/mortor stains off some new (still not sealed) pavers. What should I use to remove such stains?