PDA

View Full Version : Tecumseh 10hp- all rod journals same from year-to-year?

mowisme
10-23-2009, 09:46 AM
My 1985 tec threw a rod. I think I can save crank. I want to put this crank into a 'donor' tec I bought but is a 90's (HMSK) 10hp Snow King. this SK has bigger dia crank coming out pto side. I thought I'd use my old crank and just change the PTO side of case over with my old case so my old crank and old pto side of case all match up (I.E. bearing and seal). my concern is this: (A) newer engine has reverse shaft whitch can't use..will it just pull out (B) will old case pto side bolt to newer block..main area of block looks same but the pto case sides are bit diff. (C) will newer HMSK rod bolt to my older crank..I.E.journals same? My 10hp tec is on a 1985 JD 10-32..The newer motor is off a 90's snowblower. OK..PLEASE.. help me out you tec's..THANKS- Geno

Restrorob
10-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Geno,

I hate to say it but, In reality this project isn't worth the trouble doing even if it could be.

Do yourself a favor and buy a new engine with a warranty......

Mowingman
10-23-2009, 01:29 PM
It really does not matter if it is the same or not. You probably can not get the parts you woud need anyway, unless you are REALLY LUCKY. Just junk it.

mowisme
10-24-2009, 09:29 AM
I'm selling my donor motor next week at a $75 lost- taking it as a lesson learned. check and double check. You guys make good points. Unless I run across a 'bolt-in and go' motor at a reasonable price- I'm going 'new'. I see S.E.W. has new bolt-in engines so will most likely be going that route. They have exact bolt-in tec with right shaft size..But I think I better stay away from 'any' tec?.. agree? Thanks

mowisme
10-24-2009, 09:33 AM
I most likely go with a Intek Brigg's..But would a Honda GX340(11hp) or a GX390(13hp) be ok to put on a snowblower? ..just wondering- I know they got top-quality blowers..but not sure what motors they use on their blowers.thanks again

Mowingman
10-24-2009, 03:00 PM
Tec. went bankrupt and shut down. They are gone for good. Someone is supposed to be making some parts for those engines, but I have heard that is not working out too well, and most all Tec. parts are hard to get.
Better to forget the Tec. engines. Any you see for sale, are now orphans, with no factory support.