PDA

View Full Version : Bid on 50K sq ft

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Guys,

Quick acid test for Upper Midwest review....
For 2010 I bid on a resi acct at 50K sq ft. Each app w/b dry broadcast fert with liquid weed control applied by skidspray. Good sized resi lot, but these are friends of mine and I wanted to bid it as the service level they got with Trugreens was not good.

I bid at $200/ac of turf or $240 per app for this acct. I really tried to do my research on bidding these larger resi lawns correctly - also feel this level will cover my costs nicely. Whatcha think? Don't usually put bid info on here but wanted a one time litmus test.....

gregory
10-23-2009, 12:46 PM
DA, i am just a home owner and thats why i went out and bought a z spray jr i called around a few years back and TG and scotts and another company all gave me prices in the 4k year range one was around 4500.00 per year for that price thats why i went out and got a jr. my turf is 43k sq ft

Josh.S
10-23-2009, 12:48 PM
Guys,

Quick acid test for Upper Midwest review....
For 2010 I bid on a resi acct at 50K sq ft. Each app w/b dry broadcast fert with liquid weed control applied by skidspray. Good sized resi lot, but these are friends of mine and I wanted to bid it as the service level they got with Trugreens was not good.

I bid at $200/ac of turf or $240 per app for this acct. I really tried to do my research on bidding these larger resi lawns correctly - also feel this level will cover my costs nicely. Whatcha think? Don't usually put bid info on here but wanted a one time litmus test.....

Most guys I talk to are in the $100-150 per acre price range. My area could be different than yours though.

mdlwn1
10-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Most guys I talk to are in the $100-150 per acre price range. My area could be different than yours though.

My brief experience with Brickman was similar to this..but for commercial work and things like 1/4lb N. Residential is WAY different in the Northeast anyway. Try using $30/1000 as a baseline and go up or down from there depending on the factors you commonly encounter. I've seen a lot of guys over the years and the ones that are charging 150/acre rarely know more than how to apply and or operate the machine. If you know how to grow grass (ie edges are nice..not missed) you should be charging more than 150/acre. Maybe 35-60 or so for 10k and under and 25-35 above that. It sounds like your right on..maybe even a little lite.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-23-2009, 01:36 PM

$100/ac??
Way I figure, for 50k sq ft, you would have $65-75 or so in materials costs with NO markup straight cost (talking quality materials, slow release dry fert not slop on the liquid N).
So you are getting $25 an app for your labor? I would not work for that.

VARMIT COMMISSION
10-23-2009, 04:15 PM
We are a long ways from you but---- $200.00 per acre lot is the going rate here. And that is with a house on it. Just imagine pushing a spreader in the middle of July on it, then walking around with a backpack sprayer (or dragging a hose) on it. That is a lot of time. I wouldnt touch an acre lot for a penny less. Although I do use a PG and it only takes 20 minutes no walking required. I remember my first two acre lot before I had a PG. IT SUCKED!

sprayboy
10-23-2009, 04:40 PM
$100/ac??
Way I figure, for 50k sq ft, you would have $65-75 or so in materials costs with NO markup straight cost (talking quality materials, slow release dry fert not slop on the liquid N).
So you are getting $25 an app for your labor? I would not work for that.

I would be finding somewhere else to buy materials.

mdlwn1
10-23-2009, 04:47 PM

So tell us what you pay for a bag of lets say something like a 30-5-9..or sim..just for arguements sake.

KES
10-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Your price sounds good to me. Price it where you can make money. You do not want to be out there and hate yourself because you gave it away to a friend.
Also you have to look at it another way. 50K sqft of turf would take 50 minutes to spray by hand if it was flat and no breaks. Now figure you would be out there at least 70 minutes or more depending on the yard and weeds, etc. In that same 70 minutes you could treat 4-6 4k-6k sqft yards at whatever your rate if they were close enough together.
In other words, your acre price and time should equal what you could make if you were treating other yards in the same time frame.
Example Lets say I get $50 for 6K sqft and I can treat it in 15 minutes, that is $200 a hour. So in 60 minutes I can treat an acre or 4 yards. I hope this makes sense.

gregory
10-23-2009, 05:17 PM
i don't think thats out of line if the guys here wanted to charge me 200.00 to 250.00 per app i would have got it done but they wanted to charge me 800.00 per app screw that......

mdlwn1
10-23-2009, 05:19 PM
Your price sounds good to me. Price it where you can make money. You do not want to be out there and hate yourself because you gave it away to a friend.
Also you have to look at it another way. 50K sqft of turf would take 50 minutes to spray by hand if it was flat and no breaks. Now figure you would be out there at least 70 minutes or more depending on the yard and weeds, etc. In that same 70 minutes you could treat 4-6 4k-6k sqft yards at whatever your rate if they were close enough together.
In other words, your acre price and time should equal what you could make if you were treating other yards in the same time frame.
Example Lets say I get $50 for 6K sqft and I can treat it in 15 minutes, that is $200 a hour. So in 60 minutes I can treat an acre or 4 yards. I hope this makes sense.

With my Lesco spray rig..I could easily spray 50K 12 minutes.....

KES
10-23-2009, 05:36 PM
With my Lesco spray rig..I could easily spray 50K 12 minutes.....

There is a difference in spraying 50k sqft and spraying it correctly.

If my math is correct you would be covering 4166.66667 feet every minute and depending on your set up you would spray out 100 gallons @ 2 gallons a 1000 sq ft. Your passes would be 50 feet wide and 100 foot long in simple terms. Now if you could do this you could really make some money, but you would spray out a tank every hour. At my rate that would be $600 an hour.

Can you do this and video tape it?

mdlwn1
10-23-2009, 05:47 PM
i don't think thats out of line if the guys here wanted to charge me 200.00 to 250.00 per app i would have got it done but they wanted to charge me 800.00 per app screw that......

Im out of the commercial end of things 2 years now, but the national outfits were always high on the bigger lots. We used to think we were maybe too low when we started getting just about all jobs we bid. Its almost like they gave no consideration to difficulty level of the job.

mdlwn1
10-23-2009, 05:58 PM
There is a difference in spraying 50k sqft and spraying it correctly.

If my math is correct you would be covering 4166.66667 feet every minute and depending on your set up you would spray out 100 gallons @ 2 gallons a 1000 sq ft. Your passes would be 50 feet wide and 100 foot long in simple terms. Now if you could do this you could really make some money, but you would spray out a tank every hour. At my rate that would be $600 an hour.

Can you do this and video tape it?

Ok..let me clarify a little....Im probably off by 2 minutes. If I was spraying say..Barricade, it would depend on how many edges there were..that would obv add time. Secondly I would not be using 2gpm..more like 1. Im talking a square 50k..no obstructions..no hose set up. If we are talking fungus..then it would depend on gallons per 1000. Something like daconil would have to be 2+ gal/1000 at full rate yet something like propiconizole (systemic) could easily be 1 gall/1000 and really fast. Hopefully this doesnt start a gal per 1000 debate as I have been doing this all my working life and am pretty good at knowing how far I can push limits. As far as spraying correctly......Im not gonna go there..I know what your thinking and it just isnt the case.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-23-2009, 06:23 PM

Keep in mind I was talking about good dry fert with high % slow release N.
How is my estimate of materials cost to cover 50K sq ft off?

Figure $15/bag for fert, 5 bags, thats $75. Add in cost of liquid 3way (not all that much) and Htwo0 and my costs seem legit.

KES
10-23-2009, 06:29 PM
Okay I would love to see this done. 50,000 in 12-14 minutes @ 1 gal per 1000sq ft. Are you using a chemlawn gun or a jd-9? I have been doing this 10 or more years and can not do that. Also I guess it will depend on the grass type as to what kind of control you would get out of spraying it that fast. Math again here that is at least 4 gal a minute coming out of the gun to get 1 gal per 1000 sqft.
How far apart are your passes?

mdlwn1
10-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Green Lesco gun. Big jobs.yellow nozzel..small/tight jobs blue nozzel. My control has always been what I was taught....perfect. In fact every time I hear of crabgrass breakthrough issues..I have to believe it was improper application. I wouldnt treat a lawn at the speed stated at the expense of a poor application. It's always quality before speed with me. Hey man..I've been doin this like 20 years now and feel I was taught by some of the best out there. Not tryin to say Im special..just that most guys are never shown whats possible.....BTW we completely hijacked this thread from Da. PM me or make a new thread if you want to continue.

turf hokie
10-23-2009, 07:16 PM

I'm moving to FL if that is the going rate for an acre. I could retire in 3 years....

DA's pricing is about right if the property is easy and can be done with a ride-on, maybe a bit low but that is where the friend factor comes in.

DUSTYCEDAR
10-23-2009, 07:21 PM
YOU CANT CHARGE WHAT THE BIG BOYS DO AND MAKE ANY MONEY
charge what you need to make a good buck and move on

ted putnam
10-23-2009, 08:11 PM

I think DA is pretty much on target as well. Your analogy is right on too. I have a certain $$ amount I want to make from each tank full of liquid or bag of fert+ herbicide. At the end of the day I want to reach that amount and it doesn't matter whether I did it in 3 lawns or 23 lawns. I've always had that philosophy and I DO NOT and WILL NOT ever understand why some think they should treat a property for so much less just because it's a larger area. The materials don't cost you any less. So you save $10 worth of gas by not driving as much. You'll work just as hard if not harder. JMO

rcreech
10-23-2009, 08:41 PM

Figure $15/bag for fert, 5 bags, thats $75. Add in cost of liquid 3way (not all that much) and Htwo0 and my costs seem legit.

What analysis would you be using to apply 5 bags/acre?

Why such a HIGH use rate?

I use a 30%N with 50%PPSCU and it only takes 2.7 bags/acre.

$15/bag is VERY HIGH btw!

Fert is less now then it was 4 years ago!

sprayboy
10-23-2009, 08:42 PM
So tell us what you pay for a bag of lets say something like a 30-5-9..or sim..just for arguements sake.

30-0-5....low $13

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-23-2009, 08:43 PM
I think DA is pretty much on target as well. Your analogy is right on too. I have a certain $$ amount I want to make from each tank full of liquid or bag of fert+ herbicide. At the end of the day I want to reach that amount and it doesn't matter whether I did it in 3 lawns or 23 lawns. I've always had that philosophy and I DO NOT and WILL NOT ever understand why some think they should treat a property for so much less just because it's a larger area. The materials don't cost you any less. So you save $10 worth of gas by not driving as much. You'll work just as hard if not harder. JMO

Thanks for the input, and well stated:clapping:

sprayboy
10-23-2009, 08:45 PM

5 bags?

What are you using?

I am talking quality fert 30% SRN

rcreech
10-23-2009, 08:47 PM
30-0-5....low $13

That is good!

I ended up getting 30-0-5 50%PPSCU for 2010.

60 ton.....$11.95/bag

:) Next year will be good!

sprayboy
10-23-2009, 08:53 PM
That is good!

I ended up getting 30-0-5 50%PPSCU for 2010.

60 ton.....$11.95/bag

:) Next year will be good!

60 ton?

Are you using that all summer or other products also.

Nice price.

rcreech
10-23-2009, 10:44 PM
60 ton?

Are you using that all summer or other products also.

Nice price.

I run it on my 2nd and 3rd application and then start my 4th one with it before switching to all mineral for winterizer.

I also sell some to a few buds in the business as they can take advantage of my volume.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-23-2009, 11:52 PM
30-0-5....low $13

5 bags at 12K sq ft per bag equals 60k sq ft. This lawn has 53k sq ft, so OK 4.5 bags sorry to round up. I do know how to do math.

You state you pay $13 per bag. At 4.5 bags thats $58.50 + cost of water/3-way. If you charge $100 an acre what are you making, like $35 bucks for your labor? Go for it man. I need to charge more to bust my buns pulling hose like that.

I pay a little higher rate because I am not a mega-operation, I buy like a pallet at a time thats all. Just so you can compare apples to apples if you are a volume buyer.

Josh.S
10-24-2009, 01:14 AM
First off, why do you keep picking on the 100 per acre price? I clearly stated 100-150 per acre in my area, yet you only heard the 100.

If you charge $130 per acre your cost should be as follows...

3 way -- $20 per gallon -- $11.71 @ 1.5 oz per k

30-0-5 50% XCU -- $13.50 per bag (I pay less but just say..) -- $40.50 @ 3 lb per k (.9 N)

So for approximately 25-30 minutes of time (if you have the right equipment) you just made approximately $95.00 gross profit.

I am not saying this is what I charge, I'm just stating what the rate in my area is... This rate may be vastly different from your area...

Your input costs seem way high. Are you buying from JDL or something?

rcreech
10-24-2009, 08:14 AM
I am very close to Josh....and our prices are very similar.

I too charge about $130-140/acre and feel bad making that much :).

We are making a killing especially considering that we usually knock out about 10-20 acres a day (depending on the day and this also includes smaller lawns).

As stated if you can buy right and do it quicker and more effeciently (ride on)...then we can charge less which give us a competitive advantage.

I am still one of the higher priced lawn care companies in my area, but people know what they are getting and I sell that I am slightly higher BUT use much better products and KNOW what I am doing.

Those two things alone are worth a lot to many people!

sprayboy
10-24-2009, 09:47 AM
5 bags at 12K sq ft per bag equals 60k sq ft. This lawn has 53k sq ft, so OK 4.5 bags sorry to round up. I do know how to do math.

You state you pay $13 per bag. At 4.5 bags thats $58.50 + cost of water/3-way. If you charge $100 an acre what are you making, like $35 bucks for your labor? Go for it man. I need to charge more to bust my buns pulling hose like that.

I pay a little higher rate because I am not a mega-operation, I buy like a pallet at a time thats all. Just so you can compare apples to apples if you are a volume buyer.

Never said you couldn't do math.
Never said I was at $100 acre, I'm much higher than that.
I'm one of the highest in my area.
I simply asked what you are using to use 5 bags on a 50k lawn.
If you are using a product with less nitrogen to be using that much material then the price per bag should be cheaper yet.

What fert are you using and where are you getting it?

I would not even think about working for the profit you stated.

Not trying to pick a fight, just being truthful.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Never said you couldn't do math.
Never said I was at $100 acre, I'm much higher than that.
I'm one of the highest in my area.
I simply asked what you are using to use 5 bags on a 50k lawn.
If you are using a product with less nitrogen to be using that much material then the price per bag should be cheaper yet.

What fert are you using and where are you getting it?

I would not even think about working for the profit you stated.

Not trying to pick a fight, just being truthful.

No problem, cool here too. I use 18-0-3 as my mainstay, it is a better bang for the buck for me than product that contains more N/K with greater coverage. Thats just the way it is for me, maybe not for you. I don't have any volume purch. power, maybe you do. That is the diff.

ted putnam
10-24-2009, 10:46 AM
DA, My advice is stick with your current plan. You will do fine with it. Trying to be the low price leader will make you very busy but it won't make you very much money. Don't get caught up in the quibble over fert prices. They vary according to location. Yes, I use JDL products and have not seen the prices these guys are quoting and neither are the big guys around here. I also make it a point to shop around with others so I know I'm not getting my head ripped off compared to others in my area. Always remember the word "location". One other thing. There is more that goes into your application cost than fert/herb. There are fixed and variable expenses that vary again according to location and specific operation. As a general rule, I try to keep my material costs @ around 25% of application price. Everything else tends to fall into place and I seem to remain competitive with others in my area. Some food for thought...

KES
10-24-2009, 11:31 AM
DA, My advice is stick with your current plan. You will do fine with it. Trying to be the low price leader will make you very busy but it won't make you very much money. Don't get caught up in the quibble over fert prices. They vary according to location. Yes, I use JDL products and have not seen the prices these guys are quoting and neither are the big guys around here. I also make it a point to shop around with others so I know I'm not getting my head ripped off compared to others in my area. Always remember the word "location". One other thing. There is more that goes into your application cost than fert/herb. There are fixed and variable expenses that vary again according to location and specific operation. As a general rule, I try to keep my material costs @ around 25% of application price. Everything else tends to fall into place and I seem to remain competitive with others in my area. Some food for thought...

I agree Ted there are a lot more that goes into my price other than fert/herb. If I figured it only on herb/ fert I would not be in business.
DA think about your expenses and future purchases. Expenses - cell phone, license, insurance, gas, truck payment, shop rental, advertising, flags, gas to get product, and clothing, shoes, power bill, water bill,......I could go on but you get the picture. Then replacement cost of your equipment. When do you need a new truck, new sprayer, new hose, new boots.......

That does not include salary, retirement, health insurance or my DT MT DEW addiction:laugh::laugh:

The above is just right off the top of my head. Hope this helps. These are all things that are figured into my prices.

rcreech
10-24-2009, 01:12 PM
DA,

I guess I was asking more about the the 5 bags/ac. That is way too much fert to have to apply. You will learn to go with a higher % N so you can do more area/load and you don't have to carry so much product.

Also....sorry I got into the price thing!

But it is important for all of us to remember that we are in different areas with different pricing structures. I forget that sometimes.

If my prices were any higher I would be out of the ball park (almost am already).

If you have to pay more you have to charge more!

End of the day all of our prices will only be as high as the market will bear. So keep your costs down do a good job and you will be successful!

TYPICALLY...the higher the N in the bag the cheaper the cost/unit of N.

Don't look at the cost/bag....look at the cost/N!
You may want to check into this!

CHARLES CUE
10-24-2009, 05:56 PM
you know i got prices this week for fert 19-0-5 with pre for spring
one co wanted $25 abag {shaws} the other $15 a bag didnt ask brand it was from cps thats abig difference
Charles Cue
thats for only a pallet at a time

VARMIT COMMISSION
10-24-2009, 10:42 PM
43-0-0 XCU would only take 2 bags for an acre. A lot less weight to pull around too.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-25-2009, 10:15 PM
Guys, for some reason my mainstay was cheaper running the 18-0-3 than other higher N ferts. The price per K was better, don't ask me why, ask my JDL guy.....

I may switch things up next season, we will see how things are priced next year.

rcreech
10-25-2009, 10:46 PM
Guys, for some reason my mainstay was cheaper running the 18-0-3 than other higher N ferts. The price per K was better, don't ask me why, ask my JDL guy.....

I may switch things up next season, we will see how things are priced next year.

I can't remember one time when a lower N products cost/k was a "better deal".

They either had some inventory to get rid of...or they are just screwing your eye balls out.

You would be able to buy a 30%N for even less then $15 even just buying a pallet!

You better get some other prices...because an 18% N should be MUCH higher per K then a higher N product....and you have to handle more bags. Nothing good about either one!

Good Luck!

Josh.S
10-25-2009, 11:39 PM

I agree with Rod, I think your getting screwed bro.

If you don't mind, I'd be interested to see the prices you've been quoted (PM).

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-26-2009, 09:20 AM
18-0-3 cost me $13.xx a bag. 12k sq ft/bag. I have priced that into my apps, I guess I don't consider that getting screwed, BUT then again I service 15-20 customers (1st season) not 150. I'm not concerned guys, can start fresh next season and evaluate pricing again late winter. Thanks for the offers of help.

VARMIT COMMISSION
10-26-2009, 10:31 AM
18-0-3 cost me $13.xx a bag. 12k sq ft/bag.

At 1#/1000 that should cover 9000 sq ft/bag if 50# bags. Just curious, but I can not see a diference between 1# or 1 1/4#/1000. Other than costing more per 1000.

Josh.S
10-26-2009, 01:15 PM
18-0-3 cost me $13.xx a bag. 12k sq ft/bag. I have priced that into my apps, I guess I don't consider that getting screwed, BUT then again I service 15-20 customers (1st season) not 150. I'm not concerned guys, can start fresh next season and evaluate pricing again late winter. Thanks for the offers of help.

Hey we're just trying to look out for ya man. I suggest that next year maybe you could find a better (cheaper) supplier than JDL. In my experience they are not very competitively priced unless you are buying trucks loads. IMO, since your buying power is small, you may have to accept less margins than some of us do if you want to be in the same price area. I think that your price was fair although it was higher than I might have bid it.

At 18-0-3 for 1lb of N per k you will only cover 9,000 sq feet (50 * .18) and have a cost per k of $1.50 (13.5 / 9).

If you could get prices where many of us are at 13.XX or less for 30-0-5 you should get 15,000 sq feet per bag with a cost of $0.90 per k (13.5 / 15).

I purchased 30-0-5 for $12.00 per bag and have a cost per k of $.72 (only applying .9lbs of n per k). So I might have priced it a little lower, but I am paying less than half of what you are.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-27-2009, 12:35 AM
18-0-3 cost me $13.xx a bag. 12k sq ft/bag.

At 1#/1000 that should cover 9000 sq ft/bag if 50# bags. Just curious, but I can not see a diference between 1# or 1 1/4#/1000. Other than costing more per 1000.

Yep its 9K sq ft per bag on that stuff....my bad was confusing it with another product I used this season.....
And your also right I have 0 purch. power right now. Thats ok....I'll get there!

We do have Reinder's in our area BUT I was so pleased with the performance of JDL product that I didn't want to switch over midseason just to be 'cheap'. I wanted to use a product line for a whole season to evaluate it.

rcreech
10-27-2009, 06:46 AM
JDL has the best fert I have ever used.

They get a bad rap on here for the most part as they do charge a premium for a small purchase...but they are very competitive down the road.

I think LESCO fert is the best IMO!

I didn't realize you were only treating 20 lawns so again I apologize, but I still think you are getting hosed on your fert.

If they are charging you more/k for an 18 then a 30 something is wrong.

Are you comparing bag cost or cost/N?

If you look at the bag cost of a 30 then it should be higher but your cost/k will be lower.

That is all that matters!

naughty62
10-27-2009, 07:00 AM
Walk em through the yard and go from there .If the previous company left a mess ,tell him so .If you think the property is gonna need supplemental fert ,overseeding,aeration or is subject to invasive grasses let them know .I've had friends ,family and neighbors expecting miracles at low ,low prices.As long they know that the boom on your ride on is not a magic wand .Your prices are up to your as long as they do not expect miracles overnight .I shy away from taking on friends , family and neighbors,it falls under the category nepotism.

garydale
10-28-2009, 11:25 AM
I would be at about $220.00 for a single application.
In programs it would be:
Two @ 200.00 ea.
Three @ $180. ea.
Four @ $162.00 ea.
Five @ $145.00 ea.
Six @ $130.00 ea.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-28-2009, 01:15 PM
In programs it would be:
Two @ 200.00 ea.
Three @ $180. ea.
Four @ $162.00 ea.
Five @ $145.00 ea.
Six @ $130.00 ea.

I understand the volume discount, but your materials costs don't decrease much after each app. Why so cheap on the back end?

ted putnam
10-28-2009, 02:21 PM
I prefer levelized billing...:)

okcfire
10-31-2009, 08:18 AM
If anybody wants to make $100 for an acre lot holler. I will pay that all day if you are using your equipment, materials, paying for insurance and certs. gas, your meals, clothing, measuring devices, etc. I can sub you out all day and make money sitting in my house playing the wii.

Especially when fertilizer goes back up to $30 a bag.

I never could find a way to increase my prices in the middle of a year.

I charge $200 per acre and usually give volume discount so they are paying $160.

I would never do a yard for that if my customer was not happy paying it. At that rate it seems I am happy doing it and they are happy with result.

garydale
10-31-2009, 10:11 AM
In programs it would be:
Two @ 200.00 ea.
Three @ $180. ea.
Four @ $162.00 ea.
Five @ $145.00 ea.
Six @ $130.00 ea.

Guys,
Please understand that breakdown is our base point.
Once thats established we:
Add for Call aheads
Add for dogs/Locked gates
Add for excessive trim out
Add for excessive pavement/blowing off
Add for fish ponds/pool
Add for excessive landscaping
Add for longer travel time. etc.

Once we get a lawn weed free, very little post herb is used
Once soil is tested and adjusted, fert. usage is minimized.

We want to be on the property every 4-6 weeks. That gives us a full season workload and a chance to upsell extras.