PDA

View Full Version : ? Exterior Pest Control Equipment ?

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-23-2009, 01:32 PM
Curious as to what y'all use to do your exterior pest control applications?

I have a 6 gallon sprayer I pull around, but am tired of:
.....* frequent refills
.....* limited pressure (I struggle to get to the top of some 2-story homes)
.....* extended time required for good coverage (due to psi).

I'm considering just upgrading to a 50 gallon skid sprayer with a JD-9, but am wondering if I'll regret having to pull a hose around every building I treat.

Sooooo, what are your methods? Or what have you tried that was a mistake?

Thanks, all!

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
10-23-2009, 04:51 PM
Are you shooting the eaves of houses on every visit, or just as warranted? You could use a engine driven backpack sprayer-that would more than get you the distance, but is limited to 5 gallons & heavy to use on every property.

Skids w/ hoses are nice, but dragging hoses is no fun & risk knocking over & breaking stuff in peoples lawns & beds if not careful:cry:

A.T.A.K
10-23-2009, 06:25 PM
We use 4 gallon back packs. If eves are your problem use web brushs and dust them with delta dust works wonders. You also said filling was an issue go at a higher rate lower volume of water. This has worked well for us and we have been at it for over 40 years.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
10-23-2009, 09:32 PM
Whooped.

A Cheap Bilge pump from wally world with a momentary button in a 25 or 50 gallon fresh water tank works great for refilling and is faster than a faucet. It also doubles as a hand wash. I like it because I can mix at the truck.

Also look at Air Heads homemade Electric back pack, I have something like it on wheels and can do perimeter spray very quick and complete including eves on a two story. The rechargeable Gel Battery is around $ 23.00 and the shurflo pump is $ 79.00 at Tractor supply. BTW I use a Pressure Washer Gun with the smallest size Quick snap tips. I can change to a zero point tip and spray 40 ft. But an adjustable cone tip on a pesticide wand might work for you.

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Are you shooting the eaves of houses on every visit, or just as warranted?

Just when doing a wasp spray or boxelder bug spray - neither of which are included in my packages. I sell them as add ons.

You could use a engine driven backpack sprayer-that would more than get you the distance, but is limited to 5 gallons & heavy to use on every property.

I think this solution would be about the same as what I have now...

Skids w/ hoses are nice, but dragging hoses is no fun & risk knocking over & breaking stuff in peoples lawns & beds if not careful:cry:

This is an issue that has kept me from doing it. Everyone here is heavily landscaped around the house, so I'd have to go to the back corner, pull out a pile of hose into the backyard, etc, etc.

But one of the big incentives to having a skid is to have a large-capacity machine that would allow me to do the add-ons sprays while ALSO being capable of drenching pest-laden turf when the need arises.

You also said filling was an issue go at a higher rate lower volume of water.

I already do this as much as possible. On the home's surface, full coverage isn't too tough - but when dousing the perimeter ground, a light mist isn't doing me jack squat. I would like to be able to soak that soil or bark or mulch and walk away KNOWING I created a full moat around the house.

A Cheap Bilge pump from wally world with a momentary button in a 25 or 50 gallon fresh water tank works great for refilling and is faster than a faucet. It also doubles as a hand wash. I like it because I can mix at the truck.

This is close to what I do already. I carry a 60g tank of fresh water with me and fill my backpacks, handcans, and 6g units all from there - so that I can mix-on-site and maximize my ability to react to any given situation, all while minimizing the amount of gear I have to carry around.

BTW I use a Pressure Washer Gun with the smallest size Quick snap tips. I can change to a zero point tip and spray 40 ft. But an adjustable cone tip on a pesticide wand might work for you.

I run an adjustable cone tip right now, but I have a non-functional pressure washer out in my barn. That's a great idea. Could help out on everything (but turf-treatments) if I rig it with a quick-connect coupler to switch it out.

I can shoot high enough right now as is, but my stream is so thick that when I have to shoot those high sections, I go through 6g too fast for my taste.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks, all. Any additional feedback is appreciated.

Hanau
10-23-2009, 10:08 PM
What are your properties like?

I'm getting into this work next year and I'm looking at mounting a skid on an HUV.

A lot of the properties on this area have expansive front yards. Even if I can't get the HUV through the gate, I can still back up to the gate and not have to fake out as much hose. Also this area can be really steep and I'd rather drive the 4x4 HUV than hump hose, backpacks, and all the rest.

As far as transporting the HUV they're pretty small. A 6'x10 should handle it fine. Weight carrying capacity is decent. The dealer says it can handle a skid in the 150 to 175 gallon range.

With the hitch I could even tow an aerator or something behind it. There's also the possibility of towing a trailer with an additional skid or even a boom on it.

They are a little bit pricey, especially with the diesel engine. That's a drawback. If you're doing a significant number of properties in the country with moderately technical terrain, like my market, it might be something you want to research.

If you do look into one of these let me know what you find, we can brainstorm on this.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/landscape-and-groundcare/products/utility-vehicles/huv4421d-xp-/

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-23-2009, 10:16 PM
What are your properties like?

5-7k, hilly mountainside terrain. Most are fenced in. And they'd shoot me if I drove one of those on their lawns. :laugh:

Much as I'd love to justify a toy like that with a boom on the back and segway into larger commercial properties, that'll have to wait until I'm running employees and not just a solo operator.

Hanau
10-23-2009, 10:19 PM
Ahh, I see. Yeah I'd likely put turf tires on it. I'd buy something like that for the 8 acre plus country homes. Folks buy homes in the country and don't want any of the stuff that comes with living in the country.

txgrassguy
10-24-2009, 09:51 AM
My properties average 30K or more not to mention the commercial sites so what I use wouldn't really work for you.
I have a Lesco 50 gallon skid sprayer which has worked alright but pulling all that hose really sucks when it is 110*F and humid.
I am currently looking for a 200 gallon ride on unit with a hose reel/boom set-up as this will allow a more time efficient manner of applying the liquid fert or any pesticide.
I am fortunate in that all of the properties I maintain have extremely small gated rear yards but those damned front yards are killing me.
In fact I am off to spray two yards this morning and I am really not looking forward to wrestling a 1/2" 300' hose - I wish I had that ride on unit.
Hanau, the one thing I do have already is a Club Car 272 ute with an 1800lb carrying capacity - my 50 gallon tank fits in the back real well.
I had considered a boom arrangement but consistent ground speed is a problem with calibration - do you or anyone else know of a governor arrangement I can install?

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-24-2009, 11:56 AM
I am currently looking for a 200 gallon ride on unit with a hose reel/boom set-up as this will allow a more time efficient manner of applying the liquid fert or any pesticide.
I'm content with my turf application methods; just looking to be more efficient with my pest control, as that's an area I plan to pursue more aggressively.

I had considered a boom arrangement but consistent ground speed is a problem with calibration - do you or anyone else know of a governor arrangement I can install?

What? You didn't buy the model with cruise control? :laugh:

A.T.A.K
10-24-2009, 01:54 PM
I can help you with pc this is where I excel. Pm me and I will help ask Ric on this one he will agree.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
10-24-2009, 05:38 PM
I can help you with pc this is where I excel. Pm me and I will help ask Ric on this one he will agree.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tim

I will agree. You are my GO TO GUY when it comes to PC problems.

Ric
10-25-2009, 01:20 PM
This is close to what I do already. I carry a 60g tank of fresh water with me and fill my backpacks, handcans, and 6g units all from there - so that I can mix-on-site and maximize my ability to react to any given situation, all while minimizing the amount of gear I have to carry around.

I run an adjustable cone tip right now, but I have a non-functional pressure washer out in my barn. That's a great idea. Could help out on everything (but turf-treatments) if I rig it with a quick-connect coupler to switch it out.

I can shoot high enough right now as is, but my stream is so thick that when I have to shoot those high sections, I go through 6g too fast for my taste.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks, all. Any additional feedback is appreciated.

Whooped

The Pressure Washer gun will not work with a Pump Up sprayer. Not enough GPM or PSI even with the smallest tip. I strongly suggest you turn your 6 Gallon tank into a power sprayer With the Tractor Supply equipment I listed above, or something like it. My home made sprayer puts out more than twice the production of my SRS 600 Back Pack. I use 5 gallon Blue plastic Diesel cans as Tanks and have several I can inter change marked with different products. I use a Curly Q type hose that is 15 ft long when pulled all the way out. Maybe I should have patented this design because it works great and has a lot of versatility.

A.T.A.K
10-25-2009, 02:07 PM
My prefrence is to use a 4 gallon backpack sprayer for base of house, windows, doors and pipes. As far as the ground talstar pl and maxforce gran. The talstar pl we make a 10' band around the structure with a solo chest spreader. Out side the talstar band we use max force to bait out any insects to insure a better barrier. As far as the eves we use web brooms dusted with delta dust to minimise spray drift. This also helps keeps staining of windows down.
Posted via Mobile Device

txgrassguy
10-25-2009, 05:13 PM
[QUOTE=whoopassonthebluegrass;

What? You didn't buy the model with cruise control? :laugh:[/QUOTE]

Hey - it already has a beer holder, top with side curtains, a 400amp stereo plus a winch for those really heavy chicks - so I didn't think it needed cruise.

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-25-2009, 11:41 PM
The Pressure Washer gun will not work with a Pump Up sprayer. Not enough GPM or PSI even with the smallest tip. I strongly suggest you turn your 6 Gallon tank into a power sprayer With the Tractor Supply equipment I listed above, or something like it.

I guess I should've clarified. My 6-gallon spray IS a power sprayer. I run a Shurflo unit and a lawn tractor battery in a battery box mounted in front of the 6g jug.

Ric
10-26-2009, 10:46 AM
I guess I should've clarified. My 6-gallon spray IS a power sprayer. I run a Shurflo unit and a lawn tractor battery in a battery box mounted in front of the 6g jug.

Whooped

Maybe I should clarify that I use my tow behind power sprayer for weed control and Aquatic work. Recently I was approached about doing some Section 8 housing projects as well as regular apartments by a Real Estate association looking for a cheap price. While not the Best margin, it is very high volume work. I felt the Tow Behind Power Sprayer would make me competitive on these large complexes. To date I am still considering the job and just might pass because of Paper work involved. Also I would have to hire help because they are asking for service on 2,500 units. Big business is not always good business.

While I don't do a great deal of Structural PC, I use a hand pump Back Pack for perimeter treatment. Home Defense who is our big PC box store type operation in my area also uses Back Packs and their techs are required to do 25 to 30 stops a day.

Back to the Pressure Washer Gun. My local Agi pump supply store sells Pressure washers also. They have the fitting to make a standard Tee Jet tip nozzle an Plug In, to the the fast snap. This makes my pressure washer gun even more veritable. Now add the short or long extensions etc etc.

Like I said, maybe I should have patented my design or started to manufacture it. It fills a need between Back Pack and dragging hose off a skid sprayer. My interchangeable jugs or tanks also add to the flexibility.

BTW At $ 69 to $ 139 sizes, Shurflow pumps are a throw away item. Maybe you need a bigger size pump if you are not getting the desired GPM or PSI. Northern Tool has Pressure Washer guns at very cheap prices.

humble1
03-29-2010, 08:31 PM
I have a fastpac elec unit, I have a 30 gal fresh water tank and a 200 gallon spacesaver. I will use the hose reel to wack nests off the eves and perimeter spray if it is an easy pull, if there a lot of jogs and jags and fences , dog crap I will back pack on the perimeter spray. I like the web duster idea but that wont fly on 2 story buildings.

humble1
03-29-2010, 08:35 PM
My prefrence is to use a 4 gallon backpack sprayer for base of house, windows, doors and pipes. As far as the ground talstar pl and maxforce gran. The talstar pl we make a 10' band around the structure with a solo chest spreader. Out side the talstar band we use max force to bait out any insects to insure a better barrier. As far as the eves we use web brooms dusted with delta dust to minimise spray drift. This also helps keeps staining of windows down.
Posted via Mobile Device

The only thing I dont like to do is contaminate any of my baits with anything. I put the barrier on the building foundation and out a few feet, then put any baits outside of the treated area, then interior baits as well for ants. I use a cocktail advion, and gormet they seem to like it--------not mixed but close placement.

Greenery
03-29-2010, 08:49 PM
Are you guys spraying the actual house? In MN you need to have a structural pest control license to apply pesticides to the exterior of homes. Which is much harder to obtain. I think you actually have to work under a master tech for a while before you can even get it. But i'm sure it could be different in your state.

Do you guys remember the story about a couple of kids dying due to a misapplication of structural pesticides a short time ago? Be careful.

whoopassonthebluegrass
03-29-2010, 09:05 PM
Are you guys spraying the actual house? In MN you need to have a structural pest control license to apply pesticides to the exterior of homes. Which is much harder to obtain. I think you actually have to work under a master tech for a while before you can even get it. But i'm sure it could be different in your state.

Do you guys remember the story about a couple of kids dying due to a misapplication of structural pesticides a short time ago? Be careful.

Turf/Ornamental allows you to do residential foundation sprays in Utah.

And the kids that died are not far from here. Just a bit south in Layton, UT. But that was because some moron disregarded the application rules for phosphine gas and #1: overdosed it and #2: put it up against the house (ignoring the 15' minimum spacing).

Just talked to the head honcho here in UT the other day as I went in to renew my license. The applicator is going to prison, and the company he worked for has been forced to shut down.

MORAL OF THE STORY: DON'T BE STUPID!!!

humble1
03-29-2010, 09:06 PM

didnt hear about that,
I am licensed, but there are a lot of guys that do stuff on the side. Look at landscaper "A" for example, he says its just granular, so he will put it on mrs smiths lawn. He doesnt hold the appropriate license, he does it anyway. Mrs Smiths' kid walks on the lawn and the child has a hypersensitivity to the product, goes into respitory arrest and dies. Being that it is illegal to apply any pesticide for hire without a license, landscaper "A" will be taking long showers at the state prison.

Ric
03-30-2010, 11:27 AM
Turf/Ornamental allows you to do residential foundation sprays in Utah.

And the kids that died are not far from here. Just a bit south in Layton, UT. But that was because some moron disregarded the application rules for phosphine gas and #1: overdosed it and #2: put it up against the house (ignoring the 15' minimum spacing).

Just talked to the head honcho here in UT the other day as I went in to renew my license. The applicator is going to prison, and the company he worked for has been forced to shut down.

MORAL OF THE STORY: DON'T BE STUPID!!!

Whooped

By chance do you have a link or some kind of documentation about the Tech going to jail. As I remember the story this was an infant girl and the sister was being treated also and might of survived. It has been a while since this was hot gossip. Yes the Moron not only belongs in jail, but should castrated so he never reproduces more morons

whoopassonthebluegrass
03-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Whooped

By chance do you have a link or some kind of documentation about the Tech going to jail. As I remember the story this was an infant girl and the sister was being treated also and might of survived. It has been a while since this was hot gossip. Yes the Moron not only belongs in jail, but should castrated so he never reproduces more morons

I don't have a link. This is just from the lips of Mark Ashcroft, the UDAF Compliance Officer.

Both girls, Rebecca (age 4) and Rachel Toone (15 months), died in the tragedy.

Here's a story about the girls:
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_14366904?source=pkg

Here's a story with some info about the company and applicator:
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_14374740?source=pkg

The perpetrator's name is Coleman Nocks... but I couldn't find any details on the web...

Ric
03-30-2010, 09:21 PM
I don't have a link. This is just from the lips of Mark Ashcroft, the UDAF Compliance Officer.

Both girls, Rebecca (age 4) and Rachel Toone (15 months), died in the tragedy.

Here's a story about the girls:
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_14366904?source=pkg

Here's a story with some info about the company and applicator:
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_14374740?source=pkg

The perpetrator's name is Coleman Nocks... but I couldn't find any details on the web...

"On his own, without any direction or consultation with the company, he decided to use Fumitoxin," Wilson said.

Wilson said his company only uses Fumitoxin for gophers and to control wood-eating insects in overseas shipments.

"It's contrary to what I would do," Wilson said of the technician's decision.

Whooped

To me it seem like there are a lot of holes in the story as told by the company owner

While Fumitoxin is legal in Florida it is a RUP and it takes an act of congress to even buy it. You must be certified with Fumitoxin to eve buy it. None of our suppliers carry it and it must be shipped in from Atlanta Ga.

So what was a Tech who wasn't certified in Fumitoxin doing with Fumitoxin on his truck?? And why would he use a product he wasn't trained in when it clear states RESTRICTED USE PESTICIDE ON THE PACKAGE??

Aluminum phosphide is a "restricted-use pesticide" and is available under a variety of labels, including the Fumitoxin suspected in the deaths of Rachel and Rebecca Toone. It is controlled by the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) and the Utah Pesticide Control Act.

Only those who are "certified" are permitted to buy it, sell it or use it. To become certified, people and companies must pass several tests. They must be recertified, with additional training or testing, every three years.

In Utah, the Pesticide Program administers the state and federal laws. It oversees 117 dealers, 850 commercial licensees, about 1,000 farmers and 1,500 government appliers.

Every time the pesticide is used, the person applying files a "Fumigant Management Plan" that includes how much will be applied, where, and what protections are in place in the event of an accident. The company is to keep that plan on file and make it available to authorities upon request.

Restricted-use pesticides must be stored under lock and key in a secured area.

Source: EPA Region 8 and Utah Pesticide Program

Sorry But this really burns my butt ad hits on the old subject of unlicensed application. This guy needs to go to jail for Negligee Homicide.

whoopassonthebluegrass
03-31-2010, 07:44 AM
To me it seem like there are a lot of holes in the story as told by the company owner.

Not only that, but this guy started out swearing adamantly that his employee did nothing wrong, followed protocol, etc... only later did he decide to throw him under the bus...

A class act.

A.T.A.K
03-31-2010, 07:52 AM
To answer the question we are a full service company GHP, Termite, L&O, Mosqutoe, Aquatic and land scape maitance. I also recall the story Fumitoxin was the worst choice the guy could have used but he deserves what he gets.

Ric
03-31-2010, 09:17 AM
Not only that, but this guy started out swearing adamantly that his employee did nothing wrong, followed protocol, etc... only later did he decide to throw him under the bus...

A class act.

Whooped

The Company owner needs to go to jail for Negligee Homicide along with his tech. Why this story wasn't picked up by and blown out of preposition by the Tree Hugger Press is be on me. This one needed to be told because it is a pure case of ""GUN DON'T KILL, PEOPLE DO"" or pesticides are not bad unless misused.

Bottom Line IMHO which might not be popular with the average lawn boy. We need to make Pesticide Licensing more strict. Too may states sell licenses at the local drug store and too many jerks are licensed to apply them.

whoopassonthebluegrass
03-31-2010, 10:08 AM
We need to make Pesticide Licensing more strict. Too may states sell licenses at the local drug store and too many jerks are licensed to apply them.

I don't disagree with you. I went in to take the tests, as mentioned before. There's a 2 hour parking limit. The lady asks if I knew that. I laughed and responded that if I was still laboring over these tests in 2 hours, to just shoot me...

Long story short, the MAJORITY of people taking the tests can barely get one of the two exams done in the first two hours, go move their car, and then come back for another bout with the PC.

ARE YOU SERIOUS? How... dumb... are these people? I don't study for the exams. Why one would need to when they do this stuff for a living on a daily basis - is beyond me.

When you can't hardly pass a rudimentary test asking obvious questions about what you do day-in and day-out for a living... well, you're just not equipped to do the job.

And yet, there they are. Handling fumitoxins, nerve agents, and the like. Real comforting.

jdmcat
03-31-2010, 02:54 PM
I pull a hose out for all my general pesticide sprays. A few houses are a pain because they have those stupid solar stake lights that fall over if you look at them cross-eyed, or a bunch of little statues and figurines all over the place. Also sometimes the hose drags through "fallout of the canine variety" and then I have to leave my gloves in the back of the truck after rolling it up... But for the most part my I am able to pull the hose around foundation corners, trees or gate posts without any trouble, it's just a matter of parking the truck in the right place, and you'll figure out where that is after a few times. In my opinion the downsides are outweighed by the convenience of not having to fill up at every property and it saves my neck and shoulders from the weight of a backpack. That and I usually spray all their trees and shrubs, so a backpack wouldn't be feasible. I do use a hand can I use for foundation only sprays when someone has an ant problem in the house.