PDA

View Full Version : 100+ customers?

JBlawn
10-23-2009, 03:30 PM
ok i have just got the results back from my test and passed:) i have been doing landscaping and mowing for 4 years and want to start consitrating on fertilizing and the landscaping part.. i was wondering how long after you guys started did it take you to reach 100+ customers and what kind of andvertising you did?? i should be able to obtain 20 of my mowing customers and 7 cemetarys that we take care of... i was planning on sending out 2500-5000 post cards. newspaper advertising..

sedge
10-23-2009, 03:49 PM
ok i have just got the results back from my test and passed:) i have been doing landscaping and mowing for 4 years and want to start consitrating on fertilizing and the landscaping part.. i was wondering how long after you guys started did it take you to reach 100+ customers and what kind of andvertising you did?? i should be able to obtain 20 of my mowing customers and 7 cemetarys that we take care of... i was planning on sending out 2500-5000 post cards. newspaper advertising..

no good. door hangers and lots of them

JBlawn
10-23-2009, 04:12 PM
so post cards dont work as good?

milsaps118
10-23-2009, 04:22 PM
IMHO postcards and direct mail SUCK. I have done it the last 3 seasons and will never spend that kind of money on advertising again. The response rate was low and the closing rate was even lower.

I have never tried door-to-door hangers, but have heard good things about it from others here.

Good luck.

RigglePLC
10-23-2009, 11:32 PM
I agree with Milsap, The Cloverleaf Plan is good. You drop a brochure at the house to the left of your customer... and the right... and the two neighbors across the street. Or get your kid or a highschooler to do this. You spray the lawn. They distribute brochures on that street. Five minutes up the street--and five minutes coming back on the other side of the street. On the the next customer. Five dollars extra if he convinces someone to accept a lawn analysis and price quotation.

rcreech
10-23-2009, 11:50 PM
Clover leafing does work...but I have also had excellent success with post cards.

It takes some good timing (spring), know WHO you are trying to target and you are good to go.

It takes a lot of them...but if you can get 1-2+% that is awesome!

The first year I sent out post cards if I remember correctly I think I spend 4K and got a total of 16K worth of work. I will just tell you that I did it the next year and still got an awesome response.

You would just have to try it and see! Marketing is only as good as you do it!
If you give it all you got you will make it just fine.

JBlawn
10-24-2009, 12:05 AM
thanks for the replyies ill deffinatly do the cloverleaf plan that seems like it would work.. now do you do that after each application or just the first one in the spring? im going to do 2500 post cards and see how it works... door hangers are cheap but what is the best way of getting them out other than walking for hours? is there a company i looked in the yellow pages and didnt find anyone...

JBlawn
10-24-2009, 12:06 AM
how many did you mail out and how many costomers did you obtain?

Clover leafing does work...but I have also had excellent success with post cards.

It takes some good timing (spring), know WHO you are trying to target and you are good to go.

It takes a lot of them...but if you can get 1-2+% that is awesome!

The first year I sent out post cards if I remember correctly I think I spend 4K and got a total of 16K worth of work. I will just tell you that I did it the next year and still got an awesome response.

You would just have to try it and see! Marketing is only as good as you do it!
If you give it all you got you will make it just fine.

rcreech
10-24-2009, 12:14 AM
how many did you mail out and how many costomers did you obtain?

I sent out around 4K if I remember correctly and I think I got around 50-60 new customers.

A typical response for post cards is about 1-2% or so from what I have picked up from reading and my short experience. There are just so many factors that play into it.

I didn't get a great amount of customer for the amount of cards, but I got a great ROI and still have many of those customers from my post card campaigns.

Even if you don't get a "great response" I also looked at it as BRANDING my name.

Works for some and not for others I am sure.

A lot of it is good timing and some is just plum luck I am sure.

You want the weather to just be turning nice when it hits. If you schedule ahead and they hit during a big snow I think you would be screwed!

Josh.S
10-24-2009, 02:35 AM

I got over 100 my first year. This was due to an acquisition and door to door sales.

The average sell through for post cards in our industry is .4%. Note that I said sell through rate and not response rate.

Pound the doors, and don't waist your money on newspaper or yellowpages is my opinion.

rcreech
10-24-2009, 09:06 AM
I can't stand the yellow pages...let along their salesman!

STAY AWAY FROM THEM!

I bet they call me 6 times/year and I tell them off! :)

Great point Josh!

sprayboy
10-24-2009, 10:56 AM
Newspaper was always the worst for me. Never got responses from them.

I think that will only get worse as many papers are cutting back on days printed. In my area at least.

Article I read a while back said subscriptions were way down for newspapers, part economy, and partly because you can read alot online.

Never had much luck with yellow pages either.

Fliers, word of mouth due to good work will get as much as anything.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
10-24-2009, 11:48 AM
IF you can stand it-Knocking on doors is definitely the cheapest & best way to gain new customers IMO. I absolutely HATE to to do it, but you WILL pick up customers this way fairly easily. I hate to do it, because I don't like being rejected:cry: But the bus. you pick up is worth it! Take door hangers with you to leave if nobody is home:usflag:

RigglePLC
10-24-2009, 11:42 PM
And--if you do good work--referrals are the best. Say you have a sale and offer a discount for anyone that refers the neighbor on the left--the neighbor gets the first ap at half price. (limit one acre). Next month neighbor on the right goes on sale.

Or give the discount to your own customer--also works great.

Hanau
10-24-2009, 11:48 PM
I can't stand the yellow pages...let along their salesman!

They're the worst. This dude "Ricky" calls me several times a week to try and sell me yellow page ads. He must be in India or something because he can't speak English for ****! Lord only knows how badly he'd screw up my ad. He can't even say "Bob's Lawn & Landscape". ;)

He called me on Friday and I think I gave him brain damage when I started speaking German to him. He was not expecting that and hung up on me. :laugh:

mikesturf
10-28-2009, 06:25 PM
My best way to get customers was to team up the a tree trimming company. We refer each other, works great.

I also put an ad (spring/fall) in the local newspaper for aerating. When they call, ask them to ask their neighbors if they want their lawns done too (discount) then after doing the work, offer fertilizing.

Also, cloverleafing is awesome!

I'm so busy now, I've stopped taking new customers.

Oh, by the way, you have to give good results and be knowledgeable.

americanlawn
10-28-2009, 06:51 PM
I agree bud -- I hate being rejected -- especially if people are a$$holes. If one is polite, clean cut, professional, and has a clean truck parked in front, I figure they owe me a little time and respect.

Did an estimate a few years back...when I handed the woman the estimate, she said "This is way out of line". So I yanked it out of her hand and left her property. I figured "screw her" (and her horse). Never heard back. She was probably a "val-pak" kinda gal anyways. :laugh:

IF you can stand it-Knocking on doors is definitely the cheapest & best way to gain new customers IMO. I absolutely HATE to to do it, but you WILL pick up customers this way fairly easily. I hate to do it, because I don't like being rejected:cry: But the bus. you pick up is worth it! Take door hangers with you to leave if nobody is home:usflag:

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-29-2009, 01:14 AM
I agree bud -- I hate being rejected -- especially if people are a$$holes. If one is polite, clean cut, professional, and has a clean truck parked in front, I figure they owe me a little time and respect.

Did an estimate a few years back...when I handed the woman the estimate, she said "This is way out of line". So I yanked it out of her hand and left her property. I figured "screw her" (and her horse). Never heard back. She was probably a "val-pak" kinda gal anyways. :laugh:

Larry you should have then upped the app price by 50% and handed it back and said "does this look more in line?" Well....maybe not best to burn a bridge:laugh:

Stillwater
10-29-2009, 04:35 AM
[QUOTE=JBlawn;3244250]ok i have just got the results back from my test and passed:) i have been doing landscaping and mowing for 4 years and want to start consitrating on fertilizing and the landscaping part.. i was wondering how long after you guys started did it take you to reach 100+ customers and what kind of andvertising you did?? i should be able to obtain 20 of my mowing customers and 7 cemetarys that we take care of... i was planning on sending out 2500-5000 post cards. newspaper advertising..[/QUOTE

LawnsRUsInc.
10-31-2009, 04:02 AM
I mail out 2500 4x6 post cards UV coated and color front and back with mailing list and postage for $750 If you guys are interested in that great price let me know i will hook u up with my buddy. I sent out 5000 this summer mid summer and recieved 6 maint. jobs and 3 landscape construction jobs total return on investment $35-$36,000

lawn king
10-31-2009, 07:32 AM
Yellow pages worked well for us in the 1970's but there were only a few of us fertilizing back then, (the good old days). I pulled out of the yp a long time ago, i do think direct mail works best in the northeast.