PDA

View Full Version : aeration frequency

10-23-2009, 11:52 PM
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Lawn is in Akron, OH (northeast OH). I aerated and overseeded this fall with what I think is pretty good success. I was going to aerate again and overseed this spring to really thicken up my lawn. Yes or No? If yes, what would be the best time of the spring? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Stillwater
10-24-2009, 12:57 AM
yes, march--may

10-24-2009, 07:54 AM
yes, march--may

Thank you for the reply.

Smallaxe
10-24-2009, 09:47 AM
What about Crab Grass?

10-24-2009, 11:08 AM
What about Crab Grass?

This was my concern as I have read about this on the site. Is there a recommended aeration/overseeding/crab grass treatment routine/plan to minimize crabgrass?

It is interesting that in order to eliminate crab grass and other weeds you need a thick, dense lawn but you could encourage crab grass trying to get that thick, dense turf!

Stillwater
10-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Good Lord Smallaxe, I laughed so hard I think,,, ah.... I think,, I peed a little.....

Stillwater
10-24-2009, 11:49 AM
This was my concern as I have read about this on the site. Is there a recommended aeration/overseeding/crab grass treatment routine/plan to minimize crabgrass?

It is interesting that in order to eliminate crab grass and other weeds you need a thick, dense lawn but you could encourage crab grass trying to get that thick, dense turf!

Go inspect the turf and make a first hand determination as to what it's direct needs are. If you determine the lawn will benefit from core aeration and all fescue lawns do, you apply a crab grass pre-emergent after aerating, never aerate after a app of pre-emergent if you are planing to over seed at this time you would need to use seed safe crabgrass pre-emergent like siduron spaced 3 maybe 4 weeks apart. If this is a problem lawn and is just now starting to get regular care you should do a complete assessment of the lawns needs and prioritize those needs in order of importance and budget, if you do anything do a soil test and go from their.

grass4gas
10-24-2009, 11:53 AM

I will presume this is a partial to full sun lawn you are establishing. If so,
I would not seed in the spring unless it is absolutely positively necessary to do so. Give the lawn a chance to fill in this fall and next spring.

If seeding in the spring, you can use Tuppersan at the time of seeding to help with early control for germination of crabgrass. However, this will only give about a 30 day control. Your goal here is to try and limit the amount of crab that may come in until you get 3 to 4 cuts on the new grass. After that, you can use Dimension or Barricade, or similar for season long control.

One final note, cut your grass tall. 3 inches in the spring, and 3 1/2" to 4" through the summer. Be sure to supply ample water through the summer if adequate rainfall is not prevelant. You need at least 9 to 12 growing months to establish a good root system that is 6 to 8 inches deep.

Good luck