PDA

View Full Version : Aerate Fescue?

Steven B
10-24-2009, 04:34 AM
I've got bermuda grass & I'm going to rent a core aerator next week to do my lawn.
My girl friend grandpa house has fescue grass & I was plaining on aerate it for him, since the time well be paid for already & it kinda needs it. I talked to my girl friend step dad to see if wanted to use it(he has fescue), he's worked for the school district for over 30 years & he's done every kind of work including landscape work, he doesn't recommend aerating fescue grass.
Whats your opinion on aerating fescue grass?

Stillwater
10-24-2009, 08:19 AM
Fescue responds well to aeration, Gramps probibly doesen't want to do it becouse of the labor involved

IN2MOWN
10-24-2009, 08:38 AM
All my yards are fescue and I aerate them once a year.

Smallaxe
10-24-2009, 09:56 AM
One size does not fit all , even in aeration. Do you know why - you want to aerate?
Thatch is not and issue with fescue.

**So stop and think.

What would be the purpose of aeration?

Stillwater - show some respect, boy!!! Without a specific reason, aeration is folly, but it does make money for the ill-informed, disrespectful, money grubbing, rip-off, LCO.

jlbf0786
10-24-2009, 10:36 AM
Any lawn can benefit from aeration, it doesnt matter what type of turf it is!
if nothing else it will loosen up all the compacted soil enabling air and water to reach the roots of the established turf!

Fescue lawns should be aerated 1 time per year during the Fall months.
if you can't get it done during the Fall, you can also do it in the Early Spring.

fl-landscapes
10-24-2009, 11:06 AM
Any lawn can benefit from aeration, it doesnt matter what type of turf it is!
if nothing else it will loosen up all the compacted soil enabling air and water to reach the roots of the established turf!

Fescue lawns should be aerated 1 time per year during the Fall months.
if you can't get it done during the Fall, you can also do it in the Early Spring.

I second that! Your not aerating the turf, your aerating the soil to alleviate compaction and allow better air, water flow to the root zone to grow a more healthy root structure.

IN2MOWN
10-24-2009, 11:11 AM
One size does not fit all , even in aeration. Do you know why - you want to aerate?

**So stop and think.

Stillwater - show some respect, boy!!! Without a specific reason, aeration is folly, but it does make money for the ill-informed, disrespectful, money grubbing, rip-off, LCO.

Thats not even close to being true.

Steven B
10-25-2009, 01:46 AM
Thanks for the great insite. I mow his lawn every two weeks & it's most cutting that the lawn has ever had in couple years.:dizzy:
:waving:

JohnnyRocker
10-25-2009, 01:50 AM
I've got bermuda grass & I'm going to rent a core aerator next week to do my lawn.
My girl friend grandpa house has fescue grass & I was plaining on aerate it for him, since the time well be paid for already & it kinda needs it. I talked to my girl friend step dad to see if wanted to use it(he has fescue), he's worked for the school district for over 30 years & he's done every kind of work including landscape work, he doesn't recommend aerating fescue grass.
Here in NC, we have a lot of fescue lawns. We aerate them every year. Every company does around here. Just seed it after you aerate it. I've always had good results. Hope this helps.

J&R Landscaping
10-25-2009, 10:11 AM
Our lawns are a mix of KY blue and fescue with some perennial rye. Most get aerated once a season. Its a pretty popular service offering though the work can be a little tiring.

Smallaxe
10-25-2009, 10:51 AM
Thats not even close to being true.

""Doing things w/out a reason is folly. ""

That statement - is not even close to being true!??!!? Do you think that's a reality - or - do you feel that's a reality?

Anyways:

Aerating for compaction is a legitimate reason, so for that purpose would it matter when the aeration is done?

In areas where the ground freezes solid for the winter we have little problem with compaction in the spring. The spring thaw does an amazing job opening pores in our clay soils. If treated correctly, compaction can be minimal into summer.

The lawns that are overwatered of course will start to compact with the first mowing.

JohnnyRocker
10-25-2009, 12:40 PM

That statement - is not even close to being true!??!!? Do you think that's a reality - or - do you feel that's a reality?

Anyways:

Aerating for compaction is a legitimate reason, so for that purpose would it matter when the aeration is done?

In areas where the ground freezes solid for the winter we have little problem with compaction in the spring. The spring thaw does an amazing job opening pores in our clay soils. If treated correctly, compaction can be minimal into summer.

The lawns that are overwatered of course will start to compact with the first mowing.

LOL, that's funny to hear what you call people who aerate. I would prefer to not aerate, but 90 percent of my customers demand it. We're on pretty hard clay where I'm at, but I'm more amazed at your reaction to the subject. What a hateful reply, I would never want someone with such anger management issues touching my property.

Smallaxe
10-26-2009, 09:05 AM
LOL, that's funny to hear what you call people who aerate. I would prefer to not aerate, but 90 percent of my customers demand it. We're on pretty hard clay where I'm at, but I'm more amazed at your reaction to the subject. What a hateful reply, I would never want someone with such anger management issues touching my property.

Evidently you did not follow what was done and said. The disrespect of "Gramps" combined with too much work , sets me off. Disrespect, and more disrespect, is a zero tolerance issue.

foreplease
10-26-2009, 10:11 AM

A: that your observation that it kinda needs it is is a better reason to do it than your girl friend's step dad's recommendation that fescue not be aerated is a good reason not to do it.

Moreover, whether it can someday be proven it was needed or not, you seem like a pretty good guy for thinking of bundling it with your machine rental and doing it for him. I respect that.

IN2MOWN
10-26-2009, 10:16 AM

Anyways:

Does any of this post have anything to do with what I disagreed with you about in the first place?

Nope.

foreplease
10-26-2009, 10:35 AM
Disrespect, and more disrespect, is a zero tolerance issue.

Really? I do not get that vibe from you at all. I think you demand or crave respect but offer mostly scathing criticism and sarcasm here at lawnsite. The zero tolerance I see is for opinions that do not agree with your own beliefs, especially on a few key topics that you seem to take personally and go out of your way to introduce in current discussions

Stillwater
10-26-2009, 10:39 AM

**So stop and think.

And hear is proof of that in the above quote.......

ghfire
10-26-2009, 11:38 PM

**So stop and think.

Who is this guy and why does he think he knows everything. You are the person Regan talks about in your quote. It makes me laugh.:laugh: :hammerhead:

'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'- Ronald Reagan

Stillwater
10-27-2009, 12:25 AM
I don't know who he is, But I know what he is, he is an angry and bitter person and his posts at best are less than accurate. They should be ignored.

Smallaxe
10-27-2009, 08:37 AM
:laugh: I think I know everything, because I believe there needs to be a reason to aerate. :laugh: That offends a lot of LCOs who evidently , do it w/out a reason. I would still like to hear - Why the Father-in-Law doesn't think it needs to be done.

Here a question for this group of intellectuals - When would it be senseless to aerate? Not the time of year - but the lawn itself not needing aeration -ever.

Rather than just bashing me , prove you can use reason. :laugh:

Later....

Stillwater
10-27-2009, 09:19 AM
In this situation it would be senseless to aerate when grandfather says not to.

IN2MOWN
10-27-2009, 08:21 PM
:laugh: I think I know everything, because I believe there needs to be a reason to aerate. :laugh: That offends a lot of LCOs who evidently , do it w/out a reason. I would still like to hear - Why the Father-in-Law doesn't think it needs to be done.

Here a question for this group of intellectuals - When would it be senseless to aerate? Not the time of year - but the lawn itself not needing aeration -ever.

Rather than just bashing me , prove you can use reason. :laugh:

Later....

What does grass root to?

Steven B
12-03-2009, 05:48 AM
The reason why my gf step dad said not, it pulls the fuscue grass out & can damage it(along those lines). Where bermuda won't get damaged.
I aerated my lawn & my gf grandpa house on 10/26. It was a work out. The guy added weights to make it heavy, wasn't heavy enough when he first got it. Here's a pic of it.
I might do my lawn again in the spring time in couple places, going to try a different aerator though.

Grasshopper49
12-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Hopefully someone in your area can give you more definite info. I have lived in the midwest (great soil) and now Middle TN (clay) and I have always core aerated, and strongly suggest it to my customers. I do my yard spring and fall. Causes some stress, but the lawn quickly recovers. saying that, I am not a fan of dethatching, unless thath is a serious problem. Lots of guys do that just to sell a service, even if not needed. I am referring to bluegrass and fescue here not zoysiz.

Regarding the bermuda grass. Is is still growing? Does it grow year around in your area? The bermuda grass goes dormant at 50 degrees in this area, and therefore won't do any good to aerate in the fall here. Best to aerate in the spring upon greenup. Again, not familiar with your 'growing' season, just had to put in my 2 cents worth for practices that would work in my area.

In heavy soils compaction usually occurs in the top two inches. A good plug aerator will pull plugs 2-3 inches and relieve the soil compaction.

anotherturfgeek
01-01-2010, 08:18 PM

**So stop and think.

Don't really know about the soil conditions where you guys are but in the red clay here it allows oxygen into the soil, helps with compaction on yards that have been neglected for ever...

Grasshopper49
01-01-2010, 09:42 PM
I would have to ask why fescue does not have a thatch issue? Any lawn that grows quickly (especially due to excessive nitrogen) will likely need to be mowed 2-3 times a week. The clipplings cannot decompose fast enough and can certainly add to possibly creating thatch. Core aerating will assist with decreasing the thatch. If thatch is a serious problem dethatching will likely be required, although that is very stressful on the lawn. Aerating is also stressful, but not as bad as dethatching. That is why either of these services should be performed when the lawn is actively growing, and has at least 30 days to recover.

Pre-emergence should not be used if you plan to dethatch. It has been proven that core aerating does NOT significantly decrease the effectiveness of pre-emergence applications.

Plus, as someone else replied, it helps get fertilizer, oxygen and water to the root system, and also helps release CO2 from the soil. Levels over 5% are not good for the plants.

Compaction on lawns also occurs to the two inch depth. Core aerating will relieve this compaction. The cores will break down, covering the thatch with soil and help decomp. (Spike aerators should be used on sandy soils)

Thatch up to 1/2" is ok, but over that amount does create a problem.

The Grasshopper

anotherturfgeek
01-01-2010, 11:36 PM
mow 3 times a week? holy crap man! are you kidding me?
This lawn must have some serious fert applied and watered too much!

Under those conditions, yes thatch would be a problem.

Grasshopper49
01-01-2010, 11:53 PM
My customers will not pay for mowing 2-3 times a week, even though many of the lawns could be mowed at least twice. I mulch when I mow, so should only be cutting no more than 1/3 of the blade length at one time. Mulching returns vital nutrients to the soil, so in addition to a cleaner look after mowing, I can also decrease the amount of fertilizer required. My mowing costs are a little high, but when I explain the mulching will decrease fertilizer costs they see it as a tradeoff and accept it. Mulching can decrease fertilizer requirements by about 150 lbs per acre.

Personally, I have to cut my lawn three times a week, and I only fertilize two times per year. Most companies in this area sell the eight step fertilizer program which really is not necessary. Just adds to their income, and as we know, too much fertilizer can actually cause more harm than good. My lLawn does not receive more than one inch of water per week, unless it is rain.

Even with the clay, these lawns can look real nice in this area with proper care. I originally lived in the Mid-west, great soil, and so much easier to maintain a lawn without all the winter weeds and invasive bermuda grass. Maintenance in Middle Tennessee is a real year around challenge.

The Grasshopper

anotherturfgeek
01-02-2010, 12:23 AM
Your killing me with the 3 times a week mowing, and only 1 inch of water per week?
Have you tried any organic treatments?
I use this stuff: http://turfprousa.com/
It cuts down on fertilizer use, but most importantly is by far the easiest to apply..

Grasshopper49
01-02-2010, 12:40 AM
haven't tried it, but will look into it. Thanks for the URL. I do use an organic fertilizer (chicken &*) that works great, other than a little smell for maybe half a day. Also was at a workshop recently and learned about a new poly coated fertilizer that is more durable and works for about 16 weeks, great for this area...yards would need maybe just two apps during the growing season. Only problem...that would decrease my income, unless I charged double for each app. Still do not know what the cost it and will find out soon.

Finally noticed you are from NC...would guess our growing seasons and turf issues would be similar. UNC website is a great source of info.

My wife can't believe how much time I can spend on here, but it is kind of addicting...picking up info, things to consider, and pass what little info I have to others for their consideration.

Regarding my yard...one person said my yard was the envy of the neighborhood and that was before I got into this business. My wife says it looks like plastic (like Easter egg basket stuff) as it is so green and shiny coming down the road. Strangers have stopped and asked if I just had sod put down. Lawn doesn't always look good (you know summers are bad) but I do enjoy sitting on the deck and looking at it. My work has motivated neighbors to work on their yards, so I now have competition. They have my assistance when they ask for it and get to use my equipment. Nice to have the nice lawns around me.

Appreciate your info and feedback
Donn

anotherturfgeek
01-02-2010, 12:41 AM
The bermuda is trying to take over this zone of the country. I get alot of calls from people who have half bermuda and half fescue. I did a kill all and start over 3 times in 09
1 wanted all bermuda, 2 all fescue...

The liquid I spoke of earlier will make the fescue so much healthier it goes a long way to repel weeds all by itself.

anotherturfgeek
01-02-2010, 12:49 AM
The chicken@# explains it. Growing up, Pop used this excessively. Burnt the yard up for a year! But man after it recovered, It was the most beautiful lawn! It was 6 acres. I remember mowing that S_ _T the 2-3 times a week forever it seemed like.
Wore out a mower and finally started bush hogging it twice a week...

Check out the turf files from NC State Univercity. It is so very helpful!