PDA

View Full Version : spray rig question

cutbetterthanyou
10-24-2009, 01:41 PM
I don't curtainly offer spraying or fert, but like to come on this section a read and learn. I have a question that may be dumb, but anyway, What is this purpose/difference is a big spray rig like the ones one a tralier or back of truck verses a ride on sprayer? Don't the truck/tralier kind waste chemicals or not put enough down? A ride on you can calabrate just what you need. How do you know how much to put down. Are they just for spot spraying or can you blanket a whole yard with them. It seem like the truck/tralier kind of rig is commonly used on here. We only have but 1-2 compnanys that even offer fert in my town an they only use ride ons. I was just wondering the difference.thanks

RAlmaroad
10-24-2009, 05:42 PM
In a nutshell: The ride-ons are primarily for weed control; liquid fertilize needs more water in the mix that these machines can manage. I'm not totally sure but if you look closer to the ride-on trucks you will probably see a granular spreader. The large tanks are in combination with a pump that is referred to as a "Skid" that uses a lose to apply both liquid fertilize,weed control, and pre-emergent.

cutbetterthanyou
10-24-2009, 08:12 PM
So how do you get a even coat of fert with the skid type? I would think that taking a gun and spraying liquid fert there would be overlaping/underlaping (not sure if that is a real word but you know what i mean), ending up with light and dark spots. Is the fert that they use just not a potant as granular so it doesn't really matter? Which is better for big yards the skid? Or for bigger yards is it better to spot spray weeds and use a granlar spreader on a tractor or something?

RigglePLC
10-24-2009, 08:22 PM
Cut,
Actually ride-on equipment like the Permagreen are very effective at applying granular fertilizer--including long-lasting coated slow-release products. They can also spray liquid weed control very effectively, although some companies only use them for granular products. The tank truck and hose are used where high-volume liquid fertilizer with weed control is applied. If using weed control only --a small truck with a skid sprayer and less water volume is now common. Such rigs are better suited for small lawns, skinny areas, and detail work near flowers. After a little practice applying the proper amount is not difficult.

turfcobob
10-24-2009, 08:47 PM
I have to make a correction to RAImroad. He said that liquid fert could not be applied with ride on equipment and it can. We have people doing just that with our T3000 ride on applicator see it at turfco.com or you can see us in Louisville at GIE next Thur thru Sat. The fert application is very even as we use a Spyker hopper that has an adjustable spread pattern. We spread on two widths 12 ft and 18 ft for 6 foot and 9 foot effective widths that match our spray widths.

rcreech
10-24-2009, 09:29 PM
I could argue that ride on equipment is more accurate then guys that walk.

Over the day a ride on goes a consistent speed and spread/spray ALL DAY.

Guys that are walking get tired and I would question if their rate is the same at 8 AM as it is at 5 PM.

I can go over 20 acres and quit at 5 and am barely tired!

Ride ons are the only way to go IMO!

cutbetterthanyou
10-24-2009, 10:15 PM
So is there anything a skid can do that a ride on with a sprayer on it can't? It seems like unless you have a bunch of tiny yards that you can spray really quick the ride on is the way to go.

rcreech
10-24-2009, 10:25 PM
So is there anything a skid can do that a ride on with a sprayer on it can't? It seems like unless you have a bunch of tiny yards that you can spray really quick the ride on is the way to go.

There are no advantages or disadvantages of either. Just depends on how you want to run your business.

The think I like about the ride on is you can applys gran fert and spray at the same time! That is BIG!

Technically if you were using a dry fert and liquid weed control you would have to go over the lawn 2 TIMES. With a ride on you only go over it once.

I use my ride on's on very small lawns. The smaller the lawn the less effecient they are but they still work great!

The bigger the lawn...the more effecient a ride on is!

cutbetterthanyou
10-24-2009, 10:27 PM
Thanks......

rcreech
10-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Thanks......

I forgot to mention laziness!

Ride ons will make you VERY LAZY....and I really like that part! :)

I am getting fat...and I am ok with that!

ted putnam
10-24-2009, 10:35 PM
I have to make a correction to RAImroad. He said that liquid fert could not be applied with ride on equipment and it can. We have people doing just that with our T3000 ride on applicator see it at turfco.com or you can see us in Louisville at GIE next Thur thru Sat. The fert application is very even as we use a Spyker hopper that has an adjustable spread pattern. We spread on two widths 12 ft and 18 ft for 6 foot and 9 foot effective widths that match our spray widths.

:confused: In one sentence you say "liquid fert" can be applied. I question whether this can be done at rates high enough to do any real good without damaging turf at certain times of the year because of concentration levels. In the next sentence you state that the fert app is very even because you use a Spyker hopper:confused: and that it spreads very evenly at different widths and that spray widths match them. I'm not sure how that's relative to liquid fert apps. One of the widths was 18 ft. Will the T spray (effectively) at 18ft? Just questions that entered my mind after I read your statement...

rcreech
10-24-2009, 10:45 PM
:confused: In one sentence you say "liquid fert" can be applied. I question whether this can be done at rates high enough to do any real good without damaging turf at certain times of the year because of concentration levels. In the next sentence you state that the fert app is very even because you use a Spyker hopper:confused: and that it spreads very evenly at different widths and that spray widths match them. I'm not sure how that's relative to liquid fert apps. One of the widths was 18 ft. Will the T spray (effectively) at 18ft? Just questions that entered my mind after I read your statement...

Ted,

Would you leave the guy alone...he is trying to sell his equipment! :)

JK Turfcobob!

I am just curious to why anyone would want to apply liquid fert with a ride on. Liquid is more expensive in almost every case and doesn't give as good of a feeding as granular. I also like the overlap using dry and it keeps error to a minimum.

ted putnam
10-24-2009, 10:58 PM
doesn't give as good of a feeding as granular. I also like the overlap using dry and it keeps error to a minimum.

I'm not trying to badger the guy. They were just questions that came to mind. While I'm nitpicking:laugh:...I think your statement depends on the products being used and quite honestly I've seen more misapplication with granular over the years than I ever have with liquid.

rcreech
10-24-2009, 11:00 PM
I'm not trying to badger the guy. They were just questions that came to mind. While I'm nitpicking:laugh:...I think your statement depends on the products being used and quite honestly I've seen more misapplication with granular over the years than I ever have with liquid.

VERY TRUE!

But if one knows what they are doing and what to watch for...it is near impossible to stipe a lawn....especially when using SCU.

ted putnam
10-24-2009, 11:11 PM
:laugh::laugh:*trucewhiteflag*

ted putnam
10-26-2009, 10:56 PM

No Comment I suppose... I guess you thought I was nitpicking. I thought they were legitimate questions that others probably were wondering about as well. It's not that I disagreed with SOME of what you were saying...