PDA

View Full Version : Seeding ryegrass over existing fescue beifiets

turfchick
10-25-2009, 09:55 AM
I am a homeowner looking to improve my yard for the winter. I have searched several posts related to seeding ryegrass over existing fescue lawns but have not found any concrete anwsers. What is the best type of seed and are there any benefits to doing this. Thanks in advanced.

atouchofnature
10-25-2009, 11:10 PM
Do you have a lot of bare spots and want to reduce mud or erosion? If so, adding annual rye would likely help. Otherwise, I don't know of any reason you would want to do that. Of course someone who is closer to you geographically might disagree.

Are you just looking to thicken up a thin lawn? If so, check with your local extension office and find the top 5 - 10 recommended tall fescue varieties for your area, and find out if it's too late for seeding in your area from your county agent. As a rule of thumb, I usually stop seeding after 1st frost, but your climate might be enough warmer than mine to go a little later. If it's not too late, pick 3 of the top fescue varieties, blend them together and seed the lawn with the blend. If you are able to buy, or make some compost tea, it could potentially improve your results to apply compost tea immediately after seeding.

Apply a heavy rate of organic fertilizer to help the seed get off to a good start. Even if you don't seed, applying the fertilizer will help to thicken the lawn slightly.

This is based upon what I would do in my area, and your area might differ, so double check everything I have told you with your county agent. If someone from your area responds to your post and contradicts what I have told you, you should give more credibility to their opinion than mine.

Good luck

Smallaxe
10-26-2009, 08:53 AM
I have been debating whether to continue seeding fescue on a pure fescue lawn or start adding the blends so they may indeed grow and thicken. Fescue doesn't really grow and thicken much and a KBG may very well do so.
Plus, the color is better as well.

atouchofnature
10-26-2009, 11:41 PM
I have been debating whether to continue seeding fescue on a pure fescue lawn or start adding the blends so they may indeed grow and thicken. Fescue doesn't really grow and thicken much and a KBG may very well do so.
Plus, the color is better as well.

I understand what you are saying there. This year, in the case of lawns that I knew would get at least some irrigation in summer if needed, I added small amounts of Ky bluegrass & creeping red fescue to help fill in the thin areas. Fescue seems to take forever to really thicken up.

I applied 8 lbs fescue blend, 1 lbs KBG & 2 lbs creeping red fescue per 1000 sq. ft. in the very thin to bare areas, and adjusted the rate for areas that just needed a slight thickening.

Kiril
10-27-2009, 09:08 AM
I am a homeowner looking to improve my yard for the winter. I have searched several posts related to seeding ryegrass over existing fescue lawns but have not found any concrete anwsers. What is the best type of seed and are there any benefits to doing this. Thanks in advanced.

There are absolutely NO benefits here. If anything, you will create more problems than not. Stick with the fescue.