PDA

View Full Version : Bermuda in Centipede

Green Up
10-25-2009, 11:50 AM
I have recently received a new account that has several patches of Bermuda in it. I have sparyed Pre-M on it for the Winter. Has anyone used Vantage or any other herbicide to kill Bermuda in entipede?

jbrown5
10-27-2009, 11:55 AM
Yes and it does a decent job. I use the generic which is just called Sethoxydim. You will never completely get rid of the bermuda but it will keep it at bay as long as you can keep your centipede thick. If the centipede thins out anywhere the bermuda will find the hole so be ready.

scweedman
10-27-2009, 06:17 PM
Jbrown is right just can't seem to ever get rid of it even if u re sod

greendoctor
10-28-2009, 02:26 AM
Bermuda requires an integrated approach. If a lawn is growing on alkaline soil, mowed too short and underwatered, bermuda will be a constant PITA that does not want to go away. You might as well seed or sod the whole lawn with high quality turf type bermuda and be done with it. Otherwise, if the soil is kept acidic, well watered and the centipede is not scalped to death all the time, sethoxydim is an excellent control for the bermuda that happens to show up. I know that if soil pH is below 6.0. centipede has the advantage.

greendoctor
10-28-2009, 02:29 AM
One more thing, fertilizing centipede is a little different from your average lawn grass. It hates fertilizers that have high phosphorus or use potassium chloride as the K source. Making those two mistakes will definitely encourage bermuda growth, as that grass loves its P and chlorides.