PDA

View Full Version : Dimension in November?

cope895
10-25-2009, 09:01 PM
I have a bermuda lawn that is 3 years old. I have almost completely gotten rid of all of the crabgrass by pulling it. Now I have lots of prostrate spurge, way too much to pull. My neighbors tell me that I will also have a problem in the winter months with poa annua. I have purchased a Hiyield weed and grass killer with dimension .125%. I have been told to apply it now at 5lbs/1000 ft2 and then again in early March. I am in central Alabama with our first good freeze expected within the next 3 weeks and the last freeze is usually in early April. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

RigglePLC
10-26-2009, 09:25 AM
Hi Yield "Weed and Grass Killer"? So you want to kill the grass? Just what are the active ingredients of the product? ( in addition to the Dimension, I mean?)
Is this the product you are talking about?
http://www.hi-yield.com/ProductDetails.aspx?prod=32162

It is 41 percent glyfosate. (Roundup).

Do not use it unless you intend to kill the grass.

Also spurge is obnoxious--but--it is killed completely by frost. (Of course it reseeds itself.) Spurge should not reappear until temps hit about 85 in spring. Spray it shortly after that date--hit it with Weed B Gone early and often. Also spurge(and crabgrass) are not competitive in thick high-cut lawns--try to get your grass thicker.

Use Dimension in fall to reduce poa annua and again in spring (when temps hit about 70)to reduce crabgrass. For serious crabgrass problems apply Dimension again, about 6 weeks after the first application.

cope895
10-26-2009, 02:04 PM
It is the Turf and Ornamental Weed and Grass Stopper. I want to apply it now to prevent the poa annua and other winter weeds and then apply it again in the early spring for all of the summer weeds. Thanks for the reply. What do you think?

RigglePLC
10-26-2009, 09:27 PM
It will work fine for weedy grasses if it contains dithiopyr. Unfortunately, it will not do so well on spurge and other broadleaf weeds. It will do a little better if you use the maximum rate listed on the label. Better still if you apply a repeat treatment. The bigger the seed, the more weeds get through. Better plan on spraying spurge as soon as you see it. Say about June first in your area.

scweedman
10-27-2009, 08:20 AM
You are to late for poa annua with a pre emergent