PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Accounts

TaketheMoneyandRun
10-25-2009, 09:54 PM
Is insurance neccesary for an LCO in order to "bid" on commercial Accounts. Is that income have to be reported to uncle sam. Also would writing a letter to the commercial account(Dr Office/Church) be beneficial towards getting the job. All the while at the same time Im NOT trying to take bread out of anybodys mouth.
Thanks.

JB1
10-25-2009, 10:19 PM
no insurance is not needed and the government doesn't care whether you pay any taxes or not.

TaketheMoneyandRun
10-25-2009, 10:35 PM
I appreciate your answer. I know it is illegal to not pay taxes. But you have to do what you have to do. I just wanted to make sure it wasnt a requirement to have insurance for a commercial account. I know it is possible to get away with not having insurance on residential accounts.
Thanks

JB1
10-25-2009, 10:38 PM
I appreciate your answer. I know it is illegal to not pay taxes. But you have to do what you have to do. I just wanted to make sure it wasnt a requirement to have insurance for a commercial account. I know it is possible to get away with not having insurance on residential accounts.
Thanks

ahhh you don't have to do anything, you could get away with murder nobody looks.

TaketheMoneyandRun
10-25-2009, 10:47 PM
Take The Money and Run.... It is what it is. No disrespect to you at all. Im not planning on going full time. And I figure what ever 150-200 I make Per Day. Uncle Sam dosent know nor do they care, Im small potatos.

JB1
10-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Take The Money and Run.... It is what it is. No disrespect to you at all. Im not planning on going full time. And I figure what ever 150-200 I make Per Day. Uncle Sam dosent know nor do they care, Im small potatos.

yeah, what the hell.

CkLandscapingOrlando
10-25-2009, 11:01 PM
Dude I have to carry a million just on my truck. Another in liability and 2 more in umbrela. Are you fricken serious? Why dont you go get some boarder jumpers while your at it. Then you'll have a perfect tri fecta

Let that mower pick up a rock and throw it threw a window. Hit that old lady in the head. You'll never ever own anything again. Let a limb fall off your truck. Yea your auto insurance aint gonna help pay. And they'll drop you. Then let that comercial property get an audit and throw your non tax paying behind in the mix.

stevenf
10-26-2009, 02:01 PM
Yes, commercial acounts will require proof of insurance and most will require workers comp on yourself even if your solo. Commercial accounts will not pay you cash. They write payments out to a business to enable them to have there own tax write off.
I have heard of different cases where a business got audited. The IRS went searching for some of there expenses and traced it down to a lawn care company. the lawn care company got audited and penalized for not reporting that income.
Dont be stupid.....!!!

mowerbrad
10-26-2009, 04:02 PM
Think of it this way...If you are mowing a property and something were to happen and something gets broken or someone get hurt, you need something to cover you. That is where the insurance comes in. Typically a $1mil policy is enough for most commercial properties and should cover just about anything that might happen to you, unless...

You are mowing and you accidentally shoot a rock out of the mower, the rock hit a child riding his bike on the sidewalk. That rock hitting the kid caused him to fall into traffic and get struck by a semi. The semi (in trying to avoid the kid) swerved into the other lane of traffic, hitting an on coming car head-on. This head-on collision also caused another car to rear-end the car that struck the semi. That accident left the kid and 3 other people dead and 2 others seriously injured. And this whole incident was caused by your rock being thrown from the mower. In this case that $1mil insurance policy (that you should have) is pretty much worthless.

....just something for you to think about.

1wezil
10-26-2009, 07:48 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::drinkup: :drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:
OK THEN ....

mdlwn1
10-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Yes you have to have insurance for most commercial work...they will want to see it (at a later date). No there is no connection to the taxes....the feds will only get you on a random audit....and they wont.......they need to recover money when they spend time on someone...and your not that someone. I got started w/o insurance (not smart)..but I had nothing to lose...nothing to be taken...

Ole' Hickory
10-26-2009, 08:56 PM
LOL JB1 !! good advice!

Hey, if they're dumb enough to hire ya with no liability insurance, you'll do fine.
Don't break anything.......or fire a stone into little Timmy's eyeball.

SunState Lawn Care inc
10-26-2009, 09:09 PM
Yes you have to have insurance for most commercial work...they will want to see it (at a later date). No there is no connection to the taxes....the feds will only get you on a random audit....and they wont.......they need to recover money when they spend time on someone...and your not that someone. I got started w/o insurance (not smart)..but I had nothing to lose...nothing to be taken...

Wrong answer on that. We get 10-99's from most all of our commercial customers. To the OP go ahead and get you plenty of accts and don't get any ins and don't report any taxes at all you have nothing to worry about and if they send you a 10-99 just chunk it in the trash it's no big deal. Best of luck in your new venture!:rolleyes:

mdlwn1
10-26-2009, 09:13 PM
Wrong answer on that. We get 10-99's from most all of our commercial customers. To the OP go ahead and get you plenty of accts and don't get any ins and don't report any taxes at all you have nothing to worry about and if they send you a 10-99 just chunk it in the trash it's no big deal. Best of luck in your new venture!:rolleyes:

Im not recomending he do that...but yes..he could just throw them in the trash.

rcslawncare
10-27-2009, 12:28 AM
This is the best thread I have read all day! Thanks guys! ROFL!

LilesLawn
10-27-2009, 10:48 AM
Echo mowerbrad!!!!!!!!!!!! Good Explination

EagleLandscape
10-27-2009, 11:47 AM
It all depends on the state you are in for the insurance. Also depends on the commercial customer. We have some commercial customers that won't issue the first check until we provide our insurance cert to them, others we have done business with for years and never asked for it. We have always carried it.

On the taxes, again, some of our customers issue us a 1099, which is how the government finds out about what we were paid, others don't.

We document every cent we get paid, even if they did not issue us a 1099.

Don't "do what ya gotta do." Play by the rules, and you will be fine. Sell yourself, your company, and your quality to the customer. If the customer choses a lower end company it will mean two things. 1) you suck at selling yourself, or 2) they are not the type of customer you want.

Juan91
10-27-2009, 01:13 PM
just get insurance, that's what im doing next season, for the exact reason's mentioned above, now one question,

what kind of money do you guys pay a month or however it works to be insured with 1 million if you don't mind???

CkLandscapingOrlando
10-27-2009, 06:00 PM
300 a month for 1 on the truck, 1 liab, 2 umbrela

SangerLawn
10-27-2009, 07:00 PM
There is no way this is a real post lol…but…just incase it is ill say….

For commercial properties you must:

Proof of insurance
Proof of workman’s comp

As far as insurance on a vehicle goes. According to my insurance if you’re in an accident and truck and trailer GWR is over 10,000 lbs and you don’t have certifications your vehicle is illegal and insurance will not cover an accident. That came from state farm.

Mahoney3223
10-28-2009, 10:51 AM
and people wonder why lco's have horrible reps....

Rowdy74x
11-13-2009, 09:34 PM
This thread is a perfect example of the reason our industry is frowned on. Listening to this crap makes me sick. No insurance, no taxes, no licensing, no this, no that. Its no wonder these clowns can advertise $20 for any lawn mowed. They don't have any ovehead. (which means no expenses, to those who dont know). Our industry has a hard enough time keeping all of us "LEGAL" companies going. And it is hard enough, and timeconsuming to get a good reputation in an area, and then people with no experience, and lacking all of the above mentioned, plop themselves into our industry. I am sorry to rant, but I am tired of it. Btw, I have started a commitee in my county to hunt down all the dead beat people that think its ok to do the work and not have all the credentials and legal documentation to do said work. I actually have the support and backing from several large companies in my county, plus code and the local law enforcement offices. And I urge all of you to look into it yourselves.

Big C
11-13-2009, 09:59 PM
no insurance is not needed and the government doesn't care whether you pay any taxes or not.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

limaint
11-14-2009, 10:25 AM
trying to get away with it in of all places...Long Island NY????????????????

mictrik
11-15-2009, 05:18 AM
Typical Long Island I am sorry to say. The unapologetic uninsured scab aside I was struck by some of you stating that you have received 1099's from commercial accounts; are you not incorporated? My understanding (i could be wrong) is that a corporation S, C or LLC is not required to file a 1099. 1099's are for workers / employees working under contract who are NOT working for a corporation. If you have a corporation and you are the officer then you must pay yourself and report this as income. Your accounts pay your corporation according the terms of the contract and a 1099 does not apply. If you are incorporated and receiving 1099's from accounts I would speak to your accountant and ask them to speak to the accounts payable dept of the company issuing the 1099. Now if you are not incorporated then a 1099 would be correct. Please correct me if am wrong or missing something.

limaint
11-15-2009, 08:19 AM
Most companies will request to have your FEIN on file and will have you fill out I believe a W-9 some others may give you a 1099 at the end of the year which is if you are considered a subcontractor if over $600.

mictrik
11-15-2009, 05:27 PM
The W-9 makes sense as it corroborates your business and FEIN but the 1099 I do not understand. Your personal SS# should have no role in a corp to corp agreement.

limaint
11-15-2009, 06:18 PM
your personal SS# doesn't appear on the 1099. Your FEIN does.

dryguy
11-15-2009, 06:34 PM
Your already caught, people monitor sites and you told them your taking cash, and have no Ins. Watch what you say or post anywhere, somebody is always looking for dead beats, to throw a fine on.

coolluv
11-15-2009, 08:58 PM
If you have been around this forum for any period of time you will realize that most are just like the OP. No insurance, no license etc. They just know better not to admit it.

Look at what they are charging and you can figure it out.

Dave...

CkLandscapingOrlando
11-16-2009, 06:17 AM
Yep. It's a big problem in this industry. I've got guy's doing work for 80 a month when I charge 150 for the same lot. You go figure