PDA

View Full Version : sandblasters?

Tharrell
10-26-2009, 05:03 PM
Who has some recommendations for sandblasters?
I'm looking to use it for trailers, mowers, etc...

Restrorob
10-26-2009, 08:05 PM
Tharrell,

What size air compressor do you have if you don't mind me asking ?

Tharrell
10-27-2009, 02:59 PM
I don't have a compressor like you're thinking about, yet. What I have is this heavy sucker with no tank that I have in the basement and I use it to fill my small tanks I take on the road with me. I don't know the specs on it but I used to use it to fill a large tank to 300 psi. I know there's a switch that can be adjusted to stop at a certain psi.
Anyway, I was thinking about sandblasting this trailer I recently acquired and thought it could be used for other things also. I just don't know if the low end models I've seen on northerntool are adequate.
I hate to half bake something but I also don't want to spend thousands. Tony

PROCUT1
10-27-2009, 03:24 PM
One thing youre going to find even for a smaller type sandblaster is that you need A LOT of air.

More than a normal standup shop compressor can provide.

When I use my little sandblaster from tractor supply. I hook it up to the big shop compressor which is I think 80 gallon. I made a T-fitting for the line where I also hook the compressor on my service truck (33 gallon) and sometimes also a compressor on one of the sealcoat trucks to it.

No joke, with 2 and 3 compressors feeding this little thing, it still wants more air.

One compressor can do fine if youre doing something small and in short bursts. But when I try to do a plow, trailer, or truck body......It just sucks the air like you wouldnt believe.

Im looking myself to get a better sandblaster as this one being a cheapy always clogs and burns through tips in minutes.

Anything bigger than this blaster would definately require a tow behind high volume compressor.

PROCUT1
10-27-2009, 03:25 PM
The compressor you're talking about....Unless its about the size of a refrigerator and diesel powered in your basement WILL NOT run a sandblaster even for a minute.

wanabe
10-27-2009, 04:07 PM
I have blasted alot, and here is what I know. You need at the min 125 CFM compressor and a big pressure pot if you plan to blast a trailer. And you will use alot of sand. You will have at the min 3-4 k tied up in older used equipment. I have found it to be alot cheeper to just let the local blast place do my work. The work is hot, dusty, dirty, and bad on your lungs unless you have a air supplied hood. And that is more money as well.

Tharrell
10-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Yeah, most of these responses are what I was figuring. I was trying to figure shop labor vs a purchase. I've used a cabinet before and knew it took a lot of air. Thanks