PDA

View Full Version : Where to center raised flowerbed tier

lots2learn
10-27-2009, 12:08 AM
First of all let me say thank you for all that I have learned from reading on this forum. I have been lurking for a long time while I am building my first flower bed out of retaining wall block. Now I need some help making a decision.

The wall runs to the corner of the house and then curves to the back. I am wanting to put a lower level in front of the wall to plant some other flowers in. I am attaching a picture from when I started the project that was photoshoped to show how the wall would look. I drew a red line in the approximate shape that I want the lower level.

Should the lower level be centered under the 2 windows, or on the length of the wall. The difference in the two is not that far apart, but I still would like to get it right.

I will try to update with a current picture tomorrow.

Thanks for your help!

Paul

Eden's Own
10-27-2009, 12:27 AM
I would center it on the windows as that is what your eye is more drawn to rather than the overall length of the wall. Thats what I would do but that is just me. :)

Isobel
10-27-2009, 12:44 AM
I'd center it on the windows since that is where your eyes are drawn to on the house.

EagleLandscape
10-27-2009, 10:04 AM
I wouldn't do a "centered bed" at all. I would come out with something in that general area, but make it larger and heavier weighted towards a side if you need to offset the "center."

zedosix
10-27-2009, 05:33 PM
Work it off the left side, start somewhere near the end of the left window. Ground is lowest here and this way you give the impression of a tiered wall and this way you don't block the one you are showing us here.

lots2learn
10-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Thanks for all the advice. It has been raining hard all day, so no progress today.

Here are some current pics of the wall. The front is done and I'm almost finished with the curve. I apologize for the quality, but it is dark and raining off and on. I laid out the small flowerbed like this right before it got dark yesterday. My wife wants a small area to put some "small, pretty flowers." Thats what this area is for, plus I think it would add some character to the long straight wall.

It will be a good bit shorter than the main wall, just 1 block high in most places, 2 blocks high on the low side.