PDA

View Full Version : ugly back yard

janda
05-11-2002, 12:13 PM
It is standard precedure for the builders in my neighborhood to put bermuda in the front yard (with an irrigation system) and Fescue (sp?) in the back, with hay on top. The back yard is essentially hard Georgia red clay. The ground itself is not prepared at all. It looks like the surface of the moon with sparse grass groing out of it (and tons of hay everywhere). What do I do? It looks aweful. Do I water it. Do I mow it? I don't have a clue. How long will it look like this? It is a new neighborhood so all the yards looks this way (except for the ones that are sodded). I need tips on how to care for the yard.

DaveK
05-11-2002, 09:44 PM
First of all, it's straw (hay is what you feed animals). :)

Yes you need to water it, the straw helps to hold the moisture, but without a little help (watering) it will get too dry.

The straw will decompose as the grass fills in. It may take as long as a month or so.

swing blade
05-12-2002, 10:41 AM
:D has it rained lately? If so, then I would put more seed down with a broadcast spreader. yuo can purchase these for 25 to 30 dollars about anywhere. Get a good mix of fescue and rye, rye will grow faster, and then put down a new lawn starter fertilizer