PDA

View Full Version : Newbie 17hp Kawasaki Engine Replacement

todd parker
10-27-2009, 10:10 PM
Just about to jump in to replacing Kawaski 17hp FH500v to 17hp FH541v. Rings cracked and cylinder scored.

I have never replaced an engine before, just a little anxious! I was curious what kind of experience you all have had replacing these engines? Anythings I should really watch out for? What kind of problems or success have you had?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Any idea where I can find a service manual for this engine?

Thanks a bunch,

Todd

DT Lawn Care
10-28-2009, 02:38 AM
Just about to jump in to replacing Kawaski 17hp FH500v to 17hp FH541v. Rings cracked and cylinder scored.

I have never replaced an engine before, just a little anxious! I was curious what kind of experience you all have had replacing these engines? Anythings I should really watch out for? What kind of problems or success have you had?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Any idea where I can find a service manual for this engine?

Thanks a bunch,

Todd

Just make sure you know where all the wires and linkages are going to go beforehand, i.e. take many pictures of the old wiring on engine before removing. You will most likely need a gear puller to remove the old pulley, put some antiseize on the new shaft before transferring. Good Luck

B&A lawn care
10-28-2009, 08:04 AM
Depending on your skills and tools just eat a good breakfast and plan on being ready to go again by lunch. It just isnt that big a deal to replace an engine with a like component, couple wires, throttle and gas lines. Biggest issue can be removing the pulleys as they get stuck sometimes. As said take pictures, it's lots easier and quicker than guessing, disconnect battery first. When you are installing the throttle cable you need to make sure it is adjusted correctly so the choke closes completely when shoved all the way forward. Make sure the safeties work when your done. Oh, Don't forget the oil!!