PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding Trannies on my old Toro Prolines

MowinginEureka
10-28-2009, 03:10 AM
So...I currently have a 2 cycle Toro Proline and a Honda powered Proline. They both suffered the same fate, a bad tranny, I'm sure its just some stripped gears and probably end links. Engines still going strong. I took both of them into the shop when they went a year or two ago and the estimates were about 600 a piece...Decided to buy a new lawnmower instead, but I figure parts are only about half of that or less, I could do it myself on a couple of rainy days.They have been sitting and I'm tired of how heavy my new Honda mowers are and how bad of tracks they leave in muddy grass. Does anyone know any advice I might need before tearing into the cases?

jkilov
10-30-2009, 12:44 PM
I'm assuming you have 3-speed models. On most trannys like this the small angle gear is a weak spot.

First find a parts list for your model at toro's website. This aids disassembly, but I would still use the wire trick to keep parts in order. Misplace a single washer and the drive won't work.

Like I said the angle gear on the input (vertical) shaft is probably gone along with the bushings. The small sprockets on the intermediate shaft may be worn a bit, specially those for 1st and 2nd which are mostly used. Large sprockets on the output shaft are usually fine.

Ask your toro dealer if he can supply the worn parts, particularly the angle gears, small sprockets, bushings and bearings. In my case this was possible. If not a new transmission is in order and should go for under $300.

MowinginEureka
10-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the info. Yes, they are the 3 speed models. The dealer made it seem that a new transmission was not a possibility. They wanted to rebuild it and wanted over 600$ to do so...Oh well. Thanks!

mowerknower
10-30-2009, 11:11 PM
New trannys are very available. Im not at work right now so I cant say for sure but I think they run between 3-4 hundred. They are pretty easy to install. If your dealer cant get it for you you might want to check with an exmark dealer.

MowinginEureka
10-31-2009, 07:02 PM
Why an Exmark dealer? They are Toro mowers?

DT Lawn Care
11-01-2009, 01:03 AM
Why an Exmark dealer? They are Toro mowers?

Toro purchased eXmark, you should be able to get Toro parts thru an eXmark dealer. Rebuilding a tranny cannot possibly be $600, sounds like your dealer is trying to screw you. A tranny for a WB mower is only a few hundred, and they are twice the size and twice as durable.

MowinginEureka
11-01-2009, 01:15 PM
You mean twice the size and durability of the original transmission? I live in a small town, so an Exmark dealer is a no. But I do have a Toro dealer. The place I was trying to get it repaired was not a dealer, they sell mainly honda and snapper wb's. I will check and see. I think it also costs so much because I live in California, used to live in Oklahoma, labor rates here are at least twice the amount.

DT Lawn Care
11-01-2009, 07:27 PM
You mean twice the size and durability of the original transmission? I live in a small town, so an Exmark dealer is a no. But I do have a Toro dealer. The place I was trying to get it repaired was not a dealer, they sell mainly honda and snapper wb's. I will check and see. I think it also costs so much because I live in California, used to live in Oklahoma, labor rates here are at least twice the amount.

I meant WB as in the 32 or 36" and bigger models for example. Check online, PartsTree will give you a close estimate http://www.partstree.com/parts/ just put in your model # and go to the correct diagram, it will give you a price unless it has been discontinued. Good Luck

MWHC
11-01-2009, 11:56 PM
I just rebuilt one of these on a 22177. There are a lot of pieces inside the gear box. It ended up that the shaft was craked in half. I have also seen the pin sheer inside. Just keep the parts together (wire trick). Its not too bad if you take your time.

MowinginEureka
11-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Yeah, just used partstree there and figured absolute worst case scenario everything inside gearbox was ruined, not including gear case, pulley assembly, or shafts which are all outside stuff...301.74 plus 11.00 s+h for each mower. That's just the separate parts...they do not seem to have the whole transmission there, I need to call up the local dealer and see how much for the whole transmission, it would save me a lot of work to replace the whole thing if I open it up and everything pretty well worn. Thanks for the help and advice guys.

BTW, the old 2 cycle 99' model (22040) mower was locking up the wheels when pulled backwards about 75% of the time, that was it. The newer 22167 2004' model 4 cycle mower was locking up the wheels when pulled backwards about 25% of the time and would not switch out of 3rd gear. They were not run for very long with these issues, so hopefully there is not a whole lot of other stuff chewed up. Seems to me like its just a couple of gears that are chewed up. Anyone wanna make any more guesses as to what I will find when I tear into them? I will probably start tearing into them next month. I'm still pretty busy for right now to undertake any repair projects like this.

unkownfl
11-03-2009, 12:03 AM
Cant you just install a newer 5 speed unit?

DT Lawn Care
11-03-2009, 01:10 AM
BTW, the old 2 cycle 99' model (22040) mower was locking up the wheels when pulled backwards about 75% of the time, that was it. The newer 22167 2004' model 4 cycle mower was locking up the wheels when pulled backwards about 25% of the time and would not switch out of 3rd gear. They were not run for very long with these issues, so hopefully there is not a whole lot of other stuff chewed up. Seems to me like its just a couple of gears that are chewed up. Anyone wanna make any more guesses as to what I will find when I tear into them? I will probably start tearing into them next month. I'm still pretty busy for right now to undertake any repair projects like this.

If the locking up is your problem, it is probably not the internal parts, it's probably the pieces on the outside of the deck. I have done work on these Toros countless amounts of times, if they aren't oiled up and free they will lock up as you say. Take them apart and keep them in order, clean them and oil them well.

If you need to replace these outside parts, you can probably get them all for under $50, even at this overpriced place of yours.

As for the stuck in 3rd gear problem, try removing the cable and manually switching the gears, if you can do it simply replace the cable. If you can't, and even can't with force such as a hammer (they can be stiff sometimes) you may have internal issues. But I don't see what the big deal would be, I normally just leave mine in 3rd all the time, 1 and 2 are too slow, and switching from neutral to 3rd everytime seems like it's just wear and tear. But to each his own.

Good Luck