PDA

View Full Version : Exmark 26 motor replacement???

JosephLawnCare
10-28-2009, 03:12 PM
Anyone replaced a motor on a 26 yet/before? The original motor is a 6hp Kawasaki FJ180V-as15-r. I was hoping there was a honda that matched up to it, without have to modify the mounting plate. Exmark has this mounting plate in a choke hold so you can't just throw another brand engine on it. Anyone know of a website for small engines, with mounting hole diagrams?

Restrorob
10-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Sent ya a PM.......

dishboy
10-28-2009, 09:21 PM
Anyone replaced a motor on a 26 yet/before? The original motor is a 6hp Kawasaki FJ180V-as15-r. I was hoping there was a honda that matched up to it, without have to modify the mounting plate. Exmark has this mounting plate in a choke hold so you can't just throw another brand engine on it. Anyone know of a website for small engines, with mounting hole diagrams?

A GSV 190 would help lower the weight on that deck and has excellent power. Making it work ?

razor1
10-28-2009, 09:38 PM
Been there done that and personally I'd stick with an Exmark replacement, it makes for a smooth(er) transition imo.

JosephLawnCare
10-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks everyone. and thanks for the pm Resto rob. I'm just sticking with the original Kawi. It's about the only thing to do, and the easiest.

Mowingman
10-29-2009, 12:02 PM
Wow, lost an engine already? How many hours do you figure you had on that original engine? That is the good 6HP Kawi isn't it?

topsites
10-29-2009, 07:59 PM
It's not a motor, it's an engine.

mowerknower
10-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Wow, topsites. I like this post. Normally I dont agree with you but its a pet peave of mine when people call engines motors. A little off topic but heres a couple more things that drive me nuts.
1. The thread in commercial and residential mowing that says "Best Self Propelled push mower" If its a self propelled then its not a push!
2. The thread that says "Echo wont crank, it starts up but wont stay running" Cranking means turns over.
3. Wheel is a wheel, tire is a tire
4.Seal is a seal, gasket is a gasket

Just a vent, I may or may not have ocd

pugs
10-30-2009, 02:43 PM

I hate it but technically you are wrong. Some even define a motor as an engine now.

One definition I found says a motor is a machine that converts other forms of energy into mechanical energy and so imparts motion....which is pretty much what an internal combustion engine does.

I too think of motors and engines as different but the rest of the world seems to be going the other way on it.

JosephLawnCare
11-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Wow, lost an engine already? How many hours do you figure you had on that original engine? That is the good 6HP Kawi isn't it?

Already? it's 4 yrs. old. used everyday, 8 mths a year. I don't know the hours, as it has no hour meter, but'd I'd say maybe 2k? It just started knockin for some reason? I've had a few engines just go bad out of the clear blue sky, for no reason. oh-well I guess.

topsites
11-03-2009, 01:18 AM
I hate it but technically you are wrong. Some even define a motor as an engine now.

Ask them if they've ever heard of an internal combustion motor...

If it's gasoline driven, it's an engine.
A motor is electrical.

topsites
11-03-2009, 01:20 AM
Wow, topsites. I like this post. Normally I dont agree with you but its a pet peave of mine when people call engines motors.

Another one of mine is the term "making money." :p
Because making money is illegal, just ask any counterfeiter.
The correct term is earning money.

Just because a lot of folks do it doesn't make it right.

Ask these folks if they've ever heard of an internal combustion motor...
And if they have, tell them that is not possible!

A motor converts electric energy into mechanical energy.
An engine converts chemical energy into mechanical energy.

So if it's gasoline driven, it's an engine.
Same with steam, I believe diesel as well, nuclear also.
A motor is electrical.

Because there's no internal combustion in electricity, it's not a chemical, there's also no compression chamber,
no valves, and no cylinder in an (electric) motor.

Mowingman
11-03-2009, 07:15 AM
The reason I asked, is because that engine has been used on a lot of 21" mowers for years, including the J.D. 21" models I used to have. My fleet of
J.D. mowers with that 21" Kawasaki would run 6-8 years. They were used daily for 10-11 months/year. I would wear out the aluminum decks, then move the engines over to new decks shells and keep running them.
I suppose that bigger, heavier, 26" mower, might be stressing the engine more, thus shorter engine life.

Already? it's 4 yrs. old. used everyday, 8 mths a year. I don't know the hours, as it has no hour meter, but'd I'd say maybe 2k? It just started knockin for some reason? I've had a few engines just go bad out of the clear blue sky, for no reason. oh-well I guess.

pugs
11-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Ask them if they've ever heard of an internal combustion motor...

If it's gasoline driven, it's an engine.
A motor is electrical.

So what is a hydraulic motor? Or a pneumatic motor? A motor is not limited to converting eletrical energy into motion. Face it an engine is a motor. However a motor is not necessarily an engine.

jkilov
11-03-2009, 05:39 PM
Who cares, as long as it makes noise and keeps blades spin It's fine by me :laugh:.

A shame there's no 2-strokes left like the suzuki, a lot of power and lightweight, would definitively suit an exmark 26.

JosephLawnCare
11-03-2009, 08:09 PM
The reason I asked, is because that engine has been used on a lot of 21" mowers for years, including the J.D. 21" models I used to have. My fleet of
J.D. mowers with that 21" Kawasaki would run 6-8 years. They were used daily for 10-11 months/year. I would wear out the aluminum decks, then move the engines over to new decks shells and keep running them.
I suppose that bigger, heavier, 26" mower, might be stressing the engine more, thus shorter engine life.

I think thats what it was. The 26" blade is big and heavy. But it's still getting power from the belt to the spindle, so you can't blame the blade on the engine knock. It's probably just one of them things, maybe murphy law or something, but anyways, I bought another 3k ryan aerator that morning, and then this ENGINE started knocking that afternoon. I think everyone has had one of those 3k+ expensive days, right?