PDA

View Full Version : Lets Talk Aerators

Turf Dawg
10-28-2009, 06:24 PM
I know that the Z-Pluger and the LS stand on would be great, but that is a little much right now, and I do not want to tie up my Walker with the Perforator.
The one I rent is a Classen and it is a pain to run and stinks on slopes. The ones I am thinking of are the Plugger 850HD , Turfco Turnair and the Lawn Solutions walkbehind. I like the ideal of a sulky on the Plugger and Turfco, but I also want one that will pull good plugs in heavy, dense and hard packed clay soils that we have.

Yes I have read some of the post and the one I was thinking would be best because of the cam driven tines does not seem to get as good reviews as the LS. My wife would also like to help so the easiest to run would also be a plus.

BTW, if the Turfco and Lawn Solutions gentlemen want to PM me some info on why theirs is better, feel free.

Thanks, Bill

americanlawn
10-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Best plugs for us = TURFCO walk behinds. We've used Ryans (walk behinds & pull behinds), the new LS walk behind, and LESCO walk behinds. I'm not qualified to judge any other brand. My guys prefer the "chariot" (sulky) when using the TURFCO units, and customers see enough plugs to satisfy paying the bill.

Anybody else?

Hanau
10-28-2009, 07:47 PM
What are you guys using to remove the plugs from the lawn?

We use a combination of leaf blowers, rakes, and scoops. Big PITA. Which is why we don't do that many aerations.

Deere has stuff like this:

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/GT/servlet/com.deere.u90785.cce.productcatalog.view.servlets.ProdCatProduct?pNbr=0130TC&tM=GT

Need a hydraulic power unit to use it though. There has to be a more cost effective way to get the plugs off the lawn.

How are you guys doing it?

a plus bob
10-28-2009, 07:50 PM
I hate to say it but I agree with Larry :) Turfco pulls awesome plugs and last forever ! But I intend on looking at the new lawn solution machine at GIE .

americanlawn
10-28-2009, 08:17 PM
We doubled the number of tines on our Ryan pull-behinds. (Hydraulic- lift). We pull them behind John Deere 445 garden tractors. These aerators are 48" wide, and have a 36" effective width. I figure anytime you can 'ride' (instead of other things), it makes the jobs much easier. We can aerate an acre per hour -- no prob while "riding".

The 445 John Deere's have 22 HP, and have four hydraulic hose fittings. Plenty of HP. Still wondering why TURFCO doesn't sell pull-behinds.

NOTE: We add or remove (John Deere) fifty pound weights on our Ryan pull-behinds...depending on the property.

Our 2 cents

grass4gas
10-28-2009, 08:31 PM
What are you guys using to remove the plugs from the lawn?

We use a combination of leaf blowers, rakes, and scoops. Big PITA. Which is why we don't do that many aerations.

Deere has stuff like this:

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/GT/servlet/com.deere.u90785.cce.productcatalog.view.servlets.ProdCatProduct?pNbr=0130TC&tM=GT

Need a hydraulic power unit to use it though. There has to be a more cost effective way to get the plugs off the lawn.

How are you guys doing it?

Why on earth are you removing the plugs?:confused: They help breakdown thatch. Are your customers requesting that they be removed? I never, never, ever remove the cores. Educate your customers if they are asking them to be removed. To many beneficial microbes in the soil to be throwing them away.

Hanau
10-28-2009, 09:31 PM
We pull them and then topdress with steer manure or compost.

Turf Dawg
10-28-2009, 09:48 PM
I think I need to add that most lawns or 12k and under. I might do some that are around 20-30k but seldom right now.

About what is the turning radius, tines down, on the Turfco?

Service 1st Lawn Care
10-28-2009, 11:00 PM
We doubled the number of tines on our Ryan pull-behinds. (Hydraulic- lift). We pull them behind John Deere 445 garden tractors. These aerators are 48" wide, and have a 36" effective width. I figure anytime you can 'ride' (instead of other things), it makes the jobs much easier. We can aerate an acre per hour -- no prob while "riding".

The 445 John Deere's have 22 HP, and have four hydraulic hose fittings. Plenty of HP. Still wondering why TURFCO doesn't sell pull-behinds.

NOTE: We add or remove (John Deere) fifty pound weights on our Ryan pull-behinds...depending on the property.

Our 2 cents

Turfco use to sell pull behinds a 62" and a 42" I have a 42" both these units could be pulled or hooked up in 3-point. I have changed mine to be strictly pull and it pulls awesome plugs. By the way its for sale check out the free market place as its posted there.

grassman177
10-29-2009, 09:58 AM
yeah, never remove cores unless you are on a golf course green as this is needed. other wise it is the other half of the benefits of aeration to leav ethem alone

americanlawn
10-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Thanks bud - I'd like to see a comparison regarding plug-pulling...TURFCO vs Lawn Solutions walk-behinds. What we have noticed so far is the TURFCO's pull larger/more noticeable plugs than the LS units. Of course the LS walk-behinds have benefits that the TURFCO units lack. Pros & cons with both. If a LS unit lasts as long as our TURFCO aerators, I'll be impressed.

BTW, I believe my HAWKEYES will be playing Indiana this weekend. Better stock up on whisky so you don't have to remember the outcome. :laugh:

p.s. say hi to T'Bob & David for us. Both are fine gentlemen, and they both Served :usflag:. Take care, Larry :waving:

I hate to say it but I agree with Larry :) Turfco pulls awesome plugs and last forever ! But I intend on looking at the new lawn solution machine at GIE .

lawn king
10-29-2009, 04:52 PM
My lawn solutions wb pulls lots of quality plugs & is very easy on the operator, great for residentials. When i need to shatter the topsoil and perform radical core aeration i break out the kubota with the woods 72" 3 point hitch unit!

Turf Dawg
11-02-2009, 08:00 AM
Bump for the people getting back from the expo

thomsoutdoor
11-02-2009, 02:36 PM
I have been really happy with the turfco. I have the sulky but never really needed it. To much of a PIA for small properties and for larger properties I use a tractor and a lesco pull behind.

turfcobob
11-02-2009, 03:12 PM
Turf Dawg, The Turfco TurnAer 6 , 6 row 26 inch unit will turn in it's own width when walking and double that with the Chariot Ride on attachement. It will do this just using the brakes and some help at the handle. With help at the handle forcing the machine it will turn shorter but you do not need to turn shorter. Most people will set up a moving oval if they want to go back and forth or just go around the lawn. Since the unit pretty much ingnores hills you can go any directionn with ease. The smaller TurnAer 4, 4 row 20 inch unit turns tighter without tearing and with the Chariot on it. You can see them on Turfco.com or call Turfco 800-679-8201 and have them send a DVD out to you.
Turfcobob

Seacoast
11-02-2009, 06:04 PM
I have a Turfco Turnaer 6 with tha chariot & I love it. Very productive machine. I was a bit skeptical about the small engine but it has no problem pulling me around all day. My only gripe is that I never received my free Turfco hat after mailing back their safety quiz that said "mail this completed quiz in for a free hat. Maybe I failed the quiz!
Posted via Mobile Device

Turf Dawg
11-11-2009, 12:31 AM
This might be a stupid question for some----------but what is a hydro drive on a aerator? The ones I have rented the tines are also the drive. On a hydro do the tines just freewheel and the tires [or drums] drive the machine?

lawn king
11-11-2009, 06:08 PM
The lawn solutions machine (wb) is propelled by both the tines and the front wheels.

Scarlawnturf
11-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Wow, since the lawn solutions aerator came along, no one talks about the Plugr 850HD anymore. That's what I have and I love it. No doubt the lawn solutions is a great product because I have their seeder and it's been great for my business. Anyhow, I am partial to the Plugr's cam driven tine action. This is the motion required (almost straight up and down) that produces good plugs. Don't know much about the Turfco unit, but don't discount the Plugr. They have a new unit out that I don't know anything about either, but I'm sure it's an improvement over the 850HD. I can tell you this, do not get the sulky with the 850HD. It's not capable, but it's a great walk behind unit.