any chemical out there to remove bermagrass from tall fescue

What's bermagrass?

ksJoe
10-28-2009, 09:50 PM
Start with this thread
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=292647

silverscapes
10-28-2009, 10:23 PM
sorry thats bermuda grass any body got any good recipes for killing it besides roundup

grass4gas
10-29-2009, 05:59 AM
sorry thats bermuda grass any body got any good recipes for killing it besides roundup

Acclaim extra with Turflon ester will suppress bermuda over time. This is the best way if you don't have large patches of the stuff. If that is the case, Round up is best. However, you are really to late this year to do either. Bermuda is going dormant now, so you need to wait until next year.

Acclaim and Turflon can be used when Bermuda starts to green up, and treat every 3 to 4 weeks. This will take a year or two to really notice a change, but does suppress. This will need to be done constantly if the bermuda is spreading from a neighboring lawn.

YoungClay
10-30-2009, 02:56 PM
There is also a herbicide called Ornamec that works well in both Fescue and Zoysia for controlling Bermudagrass. I spot treated some areas of my Zoysia lawn this summer with pretty good success.

I got a quart (packaged with a surfactant) at Southern States for about 50 bucks.

Mscotrid
10-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Running joke for years was...How do you get rid of Bermuda?...answer "Move"

ksJoe
10-30-2009, 08:22 PM
YoungClay - If you have trouble with the Ornamec stressing the Zoysia, look at the thread I linked to above. Adding Turflon Ester to the Ornamec will enhance the Burmuda control, and act as an antidote to the Zoysia. That thread has a link to a study that shows that a combination of Ornamec (or Fusilade II, which is the same) plus Turflon Estor controls Burmuda better than either herbicide does alone. Equally important - the combination also does less damage to Zoysia & Fescue than either herbicide does alone.

They can't explain why it works this way. It just does.

I've got Fusilade for my Fescue, and I'll be getting some Turflon Ester before spring.

MJS
10-30-2009, 09:27 PM
Running joke for years was...How do you get rid of Bermuda?...answer "Move"

Ha. . . that's a great answer.

We've got it in Missouri. . . more like a weed than anything else because the majority of people cut at 3" or so.

The only way I ever had complete success removing Bermuda grass was to scrape the area down to the dirt and re-seed. Unfortunate, but true - it's pretty invasive stuff.