PDA

View Full Version : Subbed work...

Ex-golf guy
10-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Just curious how many here are subbing out mowing in order to offer "full service" to the customer, and also how many do fert & weed control AS a sub for larger property maintenance companies?

I am well aware of the obvious issues of both subbing work out and being a sub, like working with someone you trust, getting paid, putting your name to somebody elses work etc...

My question is more along the lines of what type of % do you make off your subs, what % discount do you give when doing sub work? Is it worth the hassle?

Thanks

KES
10-29-2009, 05:51 PM
I am the sub on some yards and I do get paid, but not always when I want to. Not really an issue to me because of my work load anyway, but it is hard sometimes to get your money. I deal with local guys only.
On the other hand, I do look over some properties where the owner pays me to be the full service and I sub the grass cutting and other work out. The problem with this is if it does not get done one week guess who they call! Sometimes it is a big headache because of weather or if his equipment breaks down, but in the end it gets done.

I am in the processes of bidding on a large account to handle everything and the guy that wants to cut it for me knows the week I cut it he looses it and does not get paid for any work he has performed. So you have to build a relationship and stress the importance of making sure it is done every time on time.

Profit wise I make a little, but not anything to brag about. I usually only deal with this just to get the turf treatments. This is where I make my money.

GREEN-UP
10-30-2009, 08:56 AM
I was a sub for a very large outfit in cincy area for 3yrs when. I started my own fert 3yrs ago, and enjoyred working for them so I kept doing it and running my company. It was great for the first 2 1/2 yrs, they paid me on time and things went smooth. This year, I was starting round 4, and all of a sudden they decided to go in house to save money. They paid me evry 45-50 days, but wanted the work done when they snapped there fingers.
The learning experience for me was do it, but dont let it take away from your company growing like it did me.