PDA

View Full Version : 29 out of 39 days of RAIN- now leaves

americanlawn
10-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Since Sept 21, we've had RAIN for 29 days. Source: KCCI.com. No wonder why we're behind schedule. We barely got our "current" aeration's done, and now we're fighting rain, saturated/sloppy soils. On top of this, we're having to delay applying our 'wintertizer apps" due to "leafy lawns". This is becoming a nightmare. Many areas are reporting record rainfall.

Anybody else experiencing wet/saturated conditions like this?

Service 1st Lawn Care
10-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Since Sept 21, we've had RAIN for 29 days. Source: KCCI.com. No wonder why we're behind schedule. We barely got our "current" aeration's done, and now we're fighting rain, saturated/sloppy soils. On top of this, we're having to delay applying our 'wintertizer apps" due to "leafy lawns". This is becoming a nightmare. Many areas are reporting record rainfall.

Anybody else experiencing wet/saturated conditions like this?

Here in Central IL same story and getting very old, only half way threw our winterizers and still have about 50 aerations to do. This will be wettest October on record, lots of money setting out there and getting frustrating. And also now the leaves are falling.:cry:

grassman177
10-29-2009, 04:35 PM
yup, though not as bad as you but very wet as of current

a plus bob
10-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Wet & windy cant finish Rd 4 To start rd 5 and now leaves :(

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-29-2009, 04:52 PM
Right on Larry...
After a TOO dry late summer/early fall (couldn't buy a drop of rain, record streak of NO rainfall)...

Now we are having one of the coldest, wettest Octobers on record. Just when the farmers DON'T need it.

I got all of my apps/aerations done but we are talking like 15/rd not 1500 like you guys have.

corey4671
10-29-2009, 05:40 PM
it's been wet here as well. Our's really started about the week after Labor Day. I'd be willing to bet in the last 45 days when you factor in weekends that it has rained at least half of them. The other half of the days it's been too wet to get anything done. It sucks.

ted putnam
10-29-2009, 06:55 PM
Our wetest year on record was 74+ inches set in the 1880's. To be in the top 5 years of all time we would have to hit 65+ inches. (I think we may have already.) We were at 63+ as of this past Sunday and we've had at least a couple inches since. we still have 8-9 more weeks remaining this year! The Local News also pointed out that the longest stretch of time we've had without any rainfall this year was for 8 days back in late June, early July. To give you an idea, our state normally averages about 45 inches of rain per year...We aren't just soaked, we're water-logged.:dizzy:

grassman177
10-29-2009, 07:00 PM
Our wetest year on record was 74+ inches set in the 1880's. To be in the top 5 years of all time we would have to hit 65+ inches. (I think we may have already.) We were at 63+ as of this past Sunday and we've had at least a couple inches since. we still have 8-9 more weeks remaining this year! The Local News also pointed out that the longest stretch of time we've had without any rainfall this year was for 8 days back in late June, early July. To give you an idea, our state normally averages about 45 inches of rain per year...We aren't just soaked, we're water-logged.:dizzy:

yeah, pretty bad man. i love arkansas. you are about three weeks ahead of us in weather in the spring and i envy that

sprayboy
10-29-2009, 08:05 PM
Yep, can't get work done and people are calling wondering why I haven't been there yet.

I guess when you don't work outside you forget how many days it has rained.

As a plus bob stated, either raining or to darn windy.

bflower
10-29-2009, 10:16 PM
glad to hear im not the only one- got tired of blowing others leaves for free so came home @ 2 and did mine! Called all next weeks route and asked if they could have the leaves up- my fingers are crossed. Wet wet wet- we have all but a handful of aerations done, what a mess! gotta love going back to winterize two weeks later to find the nasty mud plugs we left rolling up on the magnum tires. will be looking forward to hibernation this year!

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-29-2009, 10:39 PM
Rain? What's that?

RigglePLC
10-29-2009, 10:44 PM
Same in Michigan, Larry, rain, frost, rain, leaves, cold. Close to completing the year's work, though. Think I will retire.

sprayboy
10-30-2009, 08:43 AM

All that without a hurricane out of the gulf.

They sure missed all those predictions of an active hurricane season.

nick9882
10-30-2009, 01:25 PM
We are in chicagoland and are far behind too due to leaves and rain.Send out routes of 27 winterizer apps and only being able to do 8 due to leaves.Our target date to finish is Nov. 20 or at the latest the day berfore Thanksgiving.Leaves us about 3 weeks to do 600 apps with one guy doing them full time and one part time guy.

americanlawn
10-30-2009, 06:11 PM
Today the winds gusted in the upper 30 mph range all day long, but we did what we could. Had to skip lawns that were too mushy, too leafy, or too windy. Not using our John Deere w/Spyker 220 spreader cuz it would cause ruts.

Three of us also have the H-1 N-1 flu .... not good, and now more rain moving in.

Some soybeans & nearly all the corn cannot be harvested due to saturated soils & standing water. I feel really bad for the farmers.

Everybody around the cornbelt is hoping Mother Nature will soon give us a break.

CHARLES CUE
10-30-2009, 07:19 PM
may be the break will frozen ground the way this year is going one cant tell
Charles Cue

corey4671
10-30-2009, 07:58 PM
Today the winds gusted in the upper 30 mph range all day long, but we did what we could. Had to skip lawns that were too mushy, too leafy, or too windy. Not using our John Deere w/Spyker 220 spreader cuz it would cause ruts.

Three of us also have the H-1 N-1 flu .... not good, and now more rain moving in.

Some soybeans & nearly all the corn cannot be harvested due to saturated soils & standing water. I feel really bad for the farmers.

Everybody around the cornbelt is hoping Mother Nature will soon give us a break.

same here. I had one large account where I was able to mulch the leaves today. Luckily the way the yard is layed out the wind was my friend today. Did one yard that I probably should've skipped. It was SOFT. Never a good feeling when you feel the mower floating across the ground.

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-30-2009, 08:45 PM
Went out and did some leaf grinding today. It drizzled on me at 34 degrees, but aside from the frostbite, managed to get a few hours in.
Posted via Mobile Device

willis007
10-31-2009, 05:55 PM
what part of Arkansas are you from ?

kirk1701
10-31-2009, 06:02 PM
I got a jump start on my yard early. Seen last weeks forecast and got the leaves up and put out my winter Guard same day. Had 24 hours dry after the application then a day of a good soaking rain :dancing:

Same story this week, got leave up, put down 800 Lbs of lime and the next day 1" of rain (that was last night).

Tomorrow, more leaf duty after the high winds that came though here yesterday with this last storm :confused:

Seems like I have the whole neighborhoods leaves

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-31-2009, 06:08 PM
I don't know why I went out and suffered in the cold yesterday - today (and all next week) is back up in the 50's and low 60's. :hammerhead:

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-31-2009, 06:08 PM
what part of Arkansas are you from ?

The part that allowed him to marry his sister. :waving:

corey4671
11-01-2009, 01:15 AM
The part that allowed him to marry his sister. :waving:

this from a guy who would marry all four of his sisters if he lived in Arkansas......:clapping:

whoopassonthebluegrass
11-01-2009, 10:06 AM
this from a guy who would marry all four of his sisters if he lived in Arkansas......:clapping:

Corey, don't be jealous and petty. :laugh:

In the words of Mark Twain (not exactly a fan of the LDS faith), "some of us cannot be optimists, but all of us can be bigamists."

That being said, I think I lean more towards Oscar Wilde's conclusions when he said: "Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same." :cry:

(POINT OF CLARIFICATION: This is all said in humor. I love my ONE wife (who was NOT related to me prior to our marriage) with all my heart. I want no more, no less.

grassman177
11-01-2009, 10:59 AM
damn larry, are you serious aobut the swine flu thing, that is bad. we have workers sick too but not that yet. one even broke his hand off work and we are short handed getting mowing and leaves still. sucks, but took today off anyways. could not resist with the forcast of nice weather this week for us

MnLefty
11-01-2009, 11:30 AM
I don't know why I went out and suffered in the cold yesterday - today (and all next week) is back up in the 50's and low 60's. :hammerhead:

Whoop-

When is the big day this year and what's the target number for winterizer apps in one day this year?

Don't let the haters get you down, I can't wait to hear about it!!

ted putnam
11-01-2009, 11:41 AM
I'm from central Arkansas. It probably is legal to marry your sister here but I chose not to. She's like me, she's ugly! While I could have found myself a wife from some little obscure town where inbreeding might be a problem, I decided not to take a swim in any of those Gene Pools. Instead I went to the big city to buy...hehem, I mean meet and marry a beautiful "city girl". She's from Little Rock and she's Irish Catholic. So, unlike whoops wife, she doesn't believe in sharing me with any other women. I kind of like it that way too.(being Irish, she's got a temper and probably wouldn't hesitate to use an iron skillet as a weapon). I love to trout fish and used to make trips to the White River(had the World Record Brown Trout). I fished an area between Calico Rock and Mountain View. Pretty remote. All kidding aside, I've seen a couple of "banjo pickers" in my day.

whoopassonthebluegrass
11-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Whoop-

When is the big day this year and what's the target number for winterizer apps in one day this year?

Don't let the haters get you down, I can't wait to hear about it!!

I'm not sure yet. If I can get a good run in this week, I may be able to squeeze a chunk of them in near the end of it. I don't set goals. I just take out the whole stack and work till I'm dead or out of fertilizer.

I'm hoping to talk my wife into coming with me with the camera, so I can record like 30-60 minutes of video and post it to youtube, showing how I'm able to do a lawn every 6-7 minutes or whatever the math is. We'll see if she'll humor me and help me vindicate what little reputation I have. :laugh: (Of course, the naysayers will just find something wrong with my technique or application, or whatever, rather than swallow their pride.)

willis007
11-02-2009, 02:41 PM
I'm from central Arkansas. It probably is legal to marry your sister here but I chose not to. She's like me, she's ugly! While I could have found myself a wife from some little obscure town where inbreeding might be a problem, I decided not to take a swim in any of those Gene Pools. Instead I went to the big city to buy...hehem, I mean meet and marry a beautiful "city girl". She's from Little Rock and she's Irish Catholic. So, unlike whoops wife, she doesn't believe in sharing me with any other women. I kind of like it that way too.(being Irish, she's got a temper and probably wouldn't hesitate to use an iron skillet as a weapon). I love to trout fish and used to make trips to the White River(had the World Record Brown Trout). I fished an area between Calico Rock and Mountain View. Pretty remote. All kidding aside, I've seen a couple of "banjo pickers" in my day.

I also trout fish I'm in NWA

americanlawn
11-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Yep - 3 of us are getting over the swine flu. Looks like a 3 or 4 week deal, but the first week is the worst. Lack of energy, coughing, runny nose, hacking up stuff. We're all working everyday, but it's a struggle.

Nearly all leaves have fallen here in central Iowa -- even the oaks are ahead of normal. I can't go anywhere without hearing small engines, cuz we too finally have dry weather now. Looks like a week of warm & dry weather coming up. I just hope it lasts, cuz we have 2 or 3 weeks of work to get done.

grassman - please send us more good weather, cuz we get what you get. Thanks. :waving:

damn larry, are you serious aobut the swine flu thing, that is bad. we have workers sick too but not that yet. one even broke his hand off work and we are short handed getting mowing and leaves still. sucks, but took today off anyways. could not resist with the forcast of nice weather this week for us

grassman177
11-02-2009, 09:46 PM
yup, was nice yesterday and today. did leaf cleanups today and went well after letting it dry up a bit over the weekend. i am gearing to do round 6 apps starting next week. the leaves are really dropping fast and i am not complaining cause it makes it easier and faster to get the cleanups done before too harsh of weather.

i still have one round 5 to do in the morning, story is i was not going to do a full liquid app while in the area as i was supposed to aerate and seed this lawn. i was going to do a dry app then so i skipped it. well, then they cancelled the aerate and the leaves started to drop and they have many so i cleaned up today and spraying in the morning!

grassman177
11-02-2009, 09:48 PM
:laugh:i have to admit i really run sentences a bit, sorry but i get so excited telling tales of lawn care on here!!!:dancing:

corey4671
11-02-2009, 10:04 PM
Corey, don't be jealous and petty. :laugh:

In the words of Mark Twain (not exactly a fan of the LDS faith), "some of us cannot be optimists, but all of us can be bigamists."

That being said, I think I lean more towards Oscar Wilde's conclusions when he said: "Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same." :cry:

(POINT OF CLARIFICATION: This is all said in humor. I love my ONE wife (who was NOT related to me prior to our marriage) with all my heart. I want no more, no less.

:laugh:........................:confused:........................:laugh:

FdLLawnMan
11-02-2009, 10:48 PM
This cool wet weather has hit the whole Midwest. I try to finish all my apps by Halloween but not this year. I plan on finishing by the end of this week so I can start my aeration's and leaf cleanups. Today was a good day, as almost every lawn I went to had cleaned the leaves this weekend.

foreplease
11-03-2009, 07:25 AM
Think I will retire.
Seriously?
I've been waiting for someone who may know you better to ask...

RigglePLC
11-03-2009, 08:53 AM
Foreplease,

Thanks for your wise comments over the past couple of years. I have a very few winter fertilizer applications to do. And a day's worth of redo of certain areas that had too many leaves for proper herbicide action.
I am older than I look. I can collect social security soon. So I am planning to sell out and also don't need Permagreen Ultra and 400 gallon skid spray setup. Click my name and look at the pictures.

weed wacker 2
11-12-2009, 12:26 AM
I also trout fish I'm in NWA

U guys ever deer hunt the White River Refuge?

Rayholio
11-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Well.. I was with ya man.. too much rain.. but in the last two weeks, (1st dry weeks) We broke every record we have.. Did a months treatments in about 9 days! :) I still have winterization to do.. but have to wait a week because customers don't really like to see me every 15 days :)

americanlawn
11-12-2009, 06:54 PM
After tomorrow, we'll have only about 25 leafy lawns left to fertilize (some ride-on accounts & some small ones). Hope folks will get off their butt and clean up their leaves this weekend, cuz they've had over 3 weeks (including 3 very nice weekends) to do so.

Next week, we'll be aerating again (about 20 that recently requested it). Prob is, the soil has dried out now. Even tough to place in lawn flags.

Mother Nature has a weird way of averaging out her weather.

whoopassonthebluegrass
11-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Finished my late fall fert's yesterday, and it's snowing today. Booyah!

ted putnam
11-12-2009, 09:15 PM
U guys ever deer hunt the White River Refuge?

I never have. I believe it's closed for at least the first part of the season due to flooding. I will be on the Buffalo River between Gene Rush WMA and Buffalo River NWMA with my 7mm Mag this weekend. The buddy I'm going with said there is a 2500 acre knee deep clover field that's been planted for the Elk. The deer ar tearing it up too. I feel like a kid at Christmas right now:clapping: