PDA

View Full Version : fixing pavers

hewitt64
05-11-2002, 10:45 PM
I was wondering if the is a way to tighten up some paver walkways. this client wants me to fix the gaps that have increased over time in the middle of the whole walkway. There was no brick edging installed at the time that somebody did this. Also there are a lot of weeds in between the pavers. Is there a way with out taking up the whole sidewalk. Any replies would be greatly apprecaited.

SCL
05-11-2002, 11:48 PM
I think youre stuck with pulling it. the reason the pavers have spread is due to the lack of edging. When they spread the sand filled the lower portions of the gaps and will hold the pavers out against the force you try to use to push them back. Pull them and use some of the polymer additives in your sand to hold them together. Use edging. Your base should be okay if it was done correctly to start with, but with the install you have I'd check it closely and not trust it.

steveair
05-12-2002, 02:37 PM
Hello,

Agree completely with SCL. Nothing you can do except for pulling the entire walk and relaying. Being that there was no edging installed, I'd bet that there isn't much of a base either. I'd be sure to explain to the client that if you do repair it, that they either redo the base and pay for edging or expect it to fail again in a few years.

steve

Lanelle
05-12-2002, 06:17 PM
Another issue to examine before doing the repair is how the water in that area drains. Sometimes is has no place to go except across the walkway in a small area, which only puts more stress on the vulnerable walkway.

prairie
05-13-2002, 10:26 AM
Here is another though that I have done and it lasts. After you remove the pavers and put in the edging, if there are some small spaces betweeen the pavers, instead of putting in sand use quick cement. Now after time the sand will have weeds growing, not the cement. Just lay down the pavers and when it comes time to usually put in the sand use the quick dry cement. Just broom it in and water it down about 3-4 times and broom it in again. Then come back the next day and sweep all the debre up and you have a sidwalk almost as strong as one if it were pored. And the great thing it is lasts a lot longer and looks much better. I have been doing this for about 10 years and ALL of the patios and walks look great and I haven't ever had to replace any yet!!!

BLL
05-14-2002, 04:30 PM
could you just sweep sand over agian to fill int eh cracks and spray with round up to kil the weeds? Its a quick easy fix that may be inexpensive for the owner im sure they are gonan flip when you tell thenm they need a new walkway!!!

Pelican
05-18-2002, 10:57 AM
I don't like repairing someone else's job. The only way you can guarantee your repair is to start from scratch and verify that the rest of the installation was done properly. You will have time invested on the removal that will negate the cost of materials savings that the customer will expect, not a good deal for any concerned.

In this particular case, you must at least pull up the bricks and clean up the joint sand, then reset the bricks with edging. I prefer Snap-Edge, it seems stronger than others.

Prairie, your idea may work in the Southern regions, but those in the North that experience frost cycles should avoid cemented joints. The beauty of pavers up here is that the walk remains flexible to allow movement during the frost cycles, and not cracking like concrete. Over time, the cement method will deteriorate and cause a maintenance problem.

ImpactWV
05-23-2002, 01:36 AM
I totally agree with pelican. I never like to take a job fixing someone else's mistakes(especailly if we were a bidder and lost to a lowballer bid). The only way to offer complete satisfaction to the customer and peace of mind to yourself at night is to entirely remove the walk, and re install it properly with a good base and brick edge material. People expect a quality job for the rates we charge as professionals, and we owe it to the customers to do it right the first time.One last thing, when I first got started four years ago, we took a bid to remove 20 tons of 1-2" river stone from a backyard pool area, place new fabric in place, and re-install the stone. We suggested to screen , spray , and innoculate the existing stone before re laying it. The customer balked at the extra $ 1000.00 in labor to do so, so we put the stone back. We had to go back 4 times that summer to hand pull and treat the stone from weed seed in the top layer of silt from not washing the stones. I wish we would have never taken the job without doing it the way I wanted to. Had the underlayment been installed properly in the first place from the previous installer, we would have never seen this yard. Hindsight is 50/50, but mistakes are there to haunt you always. First time-only time for us.:blob2: