PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Renovation - Are these steps correct?

1966vette
10-29-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm planning a lawn renovation on my Kokomo, IN 1 acre lawn this year and want to confirm my current plans.

Lawn Renovation steps:
1st week in December 2009 Dormat Seed

Cisco Premium Sod Blend: which contain the following 5 types of Kentucky Bluegrass:
1. 25% Nu Destiny
2. 25% Impact
3 25% Beyond
4 15% Midnight
5 10% Bewitched

I plan to "new lawn" the bare spots and "overseed" the rest. I plan to purchase 150 lb of KBG for this application - holding 25 lb for filling in the spring.

Done - Sprayed RU on all K31 fescue - 25 % of my lawn is now dead -

1. Test soil - I have a PH test that I used for my blueberries. Is tester OK for the lawn?
2. Cut lawn 1 1/2 inches
3. Power Aerate lawn "Plugger" rent Billy Goat or Bluebird - which one works best? X,Y & 45 deg angles
4. Overseed / powerake w/o seed - rent Billy Goat or Bluebird - which one works best? X,Y & 45 deg angles
5. Clean up Acre of grass - pull behind lawn sweeper
6. Overseed entire acre X,Y direction @ 1/2 recommed seed rate - bare spots get another pass
7. Apply straw on hills so seed will not wash away
8. April 1st 2010 apply starter fertilzer

Thanks in advance for helping!
Andy

RigglePLC
10-30-2009, 10:37 AM
Most successfull seeding date would be about August 28. October is marginal, especially if soil temp is below 55. Your seed is a top quality sod blend--but remembeer Kentucky bluegrass is very slow to germinate. Seed in mid August if you have adequate irrigation. I am not a fan of "dormant seeding". Soil is too cold--no grass growth will occur, and it will stay cold until the first mowing--about April 20. Do you still get frost until about April 30? Call a sod farm and see what they do--do they do dormant seeding?

1966vette
10-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Hello RinglePLC!

Thanks for the advice. I am in trouble with this lawn project because I have a 20% of my lawn currently dead K31. It is too cold this year to sow KGB and it would be too painful to wait until August 2010 to SOW the KBG during optimum conditions. Thus, my next best opportunity to seed is to dormant seed in early Dec of this year. I am worried about the seed germination rate because it will be in the lawn for 4 – 5 months before it germinates. However, it will not required much watering in early 2010 because the soil will still be moist form the winter snow and early spring rains. The weather normally starts to warms up in Kokomo, In the middle to late March. Thus, I’m hoping to have the KBG germinate in late April early May.
Besides your concerns about dormant seeding, does the rest of the lawn project OK? Do you recommend lightly rolling the lawn after seeding to help prevent seed washout?
Thanks!
Andy