PDA

View Full Version : Firefighter- Just Finished First Year

ffduffy24
10-29-2009, 09:33 PM
I'll keep it really short. 35 year old full time firefighter. Just started out last year. Passed out a few fliers around my house and picked up 15 accounts. I want to atleast double my accounts next year and plan on expanding with some bigger equipment and a trailer. Really looking forward to it. Any suggestions for success are greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone for all the tips I've picked up on this site.

I'd really love to hear from other FIREFIGHTERS about how they run and manage their business.

pjnlandscape
10-29-2009, 10:19 PM
I am also just finishing out my first season. I am looking to become a full time firefighter in mass. How much time in a week do you spend ideally in a week to keep a manageable work load?

DLAWNS
10-29-2009, 11:59 PM
Welcome to the site dude!

ffduffy24
10-30-2009, 10:16 AM
I am also just finishing out my first season. I am looking to become a full time firefighter in mass. How much time in a week do you spend ideally in a week to keep a manageable work load?

It's different every week because of my schedule. But 15 accounts wasn't enough to keep me busy full time on my off days. I figure I could do atleast double or triple the load that I did last year.

Good luck getting on the FD. It's the best job in the world. I've been on 10 years now. I'm a third generation St. Louis City firefighter.

rocklandls
10-30-2009, 12:52 PM
What schedule do you work?

ffduffy24
10-30-2009, 02:39 PM
What schedule do you work?

Kelly schedule

MOlawnman
11-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Glad to see you had a successful year. I actually started my business before I became a career firefighter. 12 years in business and 8 as a firefighter. I have 7 employees that work for me and they are also career firefighters with the same department. It works well for all of us in that I have someone available to work every day of the week because of the schedule we work (kelly schedule).

Good luck to you next season!

rocklandls
11-05-2009, 05:14 PM
1 on, 2 off?

Th3BullDoz3r
11-05-2009, 05:20 PM
It's different every week because of my schedule. But 15 accounts wasn't enough to keep me busy full time on my off days. I figure I could do atleast double or triple the load that I did last year.

Good luck getting on the FD. It's the best job in the world. I've been on 10 years now. I'm a third generation St. Louis City firefighter.St.Louis? That's a great dept! You guys stay busy. Do you guy's run any tillers?

ffduffy24
11-05-2009, 08:47 PM
St.Louis? That's a great dept! You guys stay busy. Do you guy's run any tillers?

No. Not anymore. We have all 75 foot quints and some 125 ft. hook and ladders.

Stuttering Stan
11-05-2009, 10:26 PM
I've been in landscape industry for 11 years and career FF for 7 years. I do irrigation/ lawn maintenance 3 days week. In all honesty, I'm a FF for the benefits and the business is my moneymaker. My schedule is a 21 day cycle. For those that don't know what that means- Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Monday, Friday, Sunday, Wednesday then starts all over again at Tuesday.

Th3BullDoz3r
11-05-2009, 11:25 PM
No. Not anymore. We have all 75 foot quints and some 125 ft. hook and ladders.125'??!!! That's a huge aerial!

Classic Lighting
11-05-2009, 11:44 PM
125'??!!! That's a huge aerial!
Good point, never seen one that long. Did manufacturer goof?

jazznov5
11-11-2009, 12:59 AM
I'll keep it really short. 35 year old full time firefighter. Just started out last year. Passed out a few fliers around my house and picked up 15 accounts. I want to atleast double my accounts next year and plan on expanding with some bigger equipment and a trailer. Really looking forward to it. Any suggestions for success are greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone for all the tips I've picked up on this site.

I'd really love to hear from other FIREFIGHTERS about how they run and manage their business.

4th year in the business, enjoy doing something different on my days off and making good money. yard work is something i always enjoyed doing so this kind of came naturally.

g21
11-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Congrats on your first year! You have a great opportunity to be very selective with your growth. Instead of getting too heavy in residential, you may want to consider marketing your services toward small commercial properties.
Good luck and let me know if I can help with anything.
Tommy

ffduffy24
11-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Interesting. Why do you say small commercial rather than residential?

g21
11-16-2009, 12:11 AM
Two reasons that will apply to you in your situation. First, it's typical that a homeowner gets more attached to you or the owner and gets a little queezy as you turn their property over to employees as you grow. Commercial customers typically don't have that kind of attachment so there is less conflict as your operation grows.

Second, because of your work schedule, have a tone of residentials that all want their lawn cut toward the end of the week gets a little crazy. Again, commercial customers usually don't have those kind of issues.

I probably should cast a big blanket over everyone. All residential customers don't act like that, it's just been my experience during my early years.

If for only one reason, I always believe you should have a balance. When times get tough, a homeowner can always start cutting their own grass. The commercial customer may cut back on services and extras, but they still have to get the grass cut. A diversified portfilio will always give you balance while some market segment is suffering.

ffduffy24
11-16-2009, 12:13 PM
Wow. Great insight. I never even thought about some of the things you mentioned. Thank you so much for your time.