PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Solutions Aerator at GIE show - it's even better now!

HISnHERS
10-29-2009, 09:36 PM
Since it tis' the season I just wanted to share an aerator find at the GIE Show. Lawn Solutions showed a new style handle bar assembly on their walk behind unit and they were looking for feedback. So I gave them some... now one of the most operator friendly walk behind aerators is set to become even easier to use. I didn't get a picture, but basically it went from a set up with two straight bar ends and a thumb lever direction control thingy to an single push/pull, A shaped bar. It's much more ergonomic and easier to manipulate.

I have no idea when or even if LS is going to officially introduce this set up. All I know is that I sent a PM to David at LS basically grovelling for an upgrade to mine. Not because it needs it, but because I want it!

Gotta give it up to a company that has a hit on it's hands, but doesn't sit on it's laurels and continues to work to make their product even better.

Good job LS. :drinkup:

grassman177
10-29-2009, 10:39 PM
i hear from my man there that the ride on is really showing the competition up. rabbitman is famous now for showing it off!!!!!

HISnHERS
10-29-2009, 11:20 PM
Yeah, they have it there and it's crazy cool. Not sure who it was but somebody in the demo area definitely had some experience and skills with the thing.

Barefoot James
10-29-2009, 11:56 PM
The ride on has 1000 pounds of down pressure + is weights 1200 pounds thats over a ton. Soooo if you put the tines all the way down you can ride a wheely with the front wheels waaay up off the ground and get this the back tires go up off the gnd too so you are basically riding on the tines. Now I don't know that you would ever need to do it this way but the bottom line is you can and it looks pretty cool. I also found out you can do 4000 sq ft around landscaping in 3.5 mins. LS is a HUGE hit at the show!!!

EastCoast
10-30-2009, 06:26 AM
They are in their own backyard, they should be stealing the show!

Can somebody post some photo?
Posted via Mobile Device

HISnHERS
10-30-2009, 07:07 PM
They are in their own backyard, they should be stealing the show!

Can somebody post some photo?
Posted via Mobile Device

Here you go.... the re-designed handle assembly and the LS outdoor demo area with a crowd.

LawnSolutionsCP
10-30-2009, 07:59 PM
The new setup will start in Nov...we are switching over to the new design especially after the feedback from the show.

The changes do make them turn even easier but the ergonomic and intuitave design make it simple to use for anyone.....I mean anyone can use it now, not just landscapers.

We will have some new videos and picture of them shortly....didn't really have time at the show...just too buisy. It was absolutly CRAZY at our booth the last 2-days. Even I was suprised by the amount of traffic and people just standing arond watching, and watching, and watching.

I also was nice that we sold most of the equipment that we brought to the show...not like we have a long drive back to our factory (2.5 miles), but sure beats loading it up and taking it home. About 1/2 of it left today and the rest of it should be gone at the end of the show tomorrow.

David

a plus bob
10-30-2009, 08:34 PM
I ran the walk behind model today :) This thing is so simple why did it take so long for somebody to think of it ? I did not run the ride on but looked it over.The first thing I noticed is the chain drive( I hate working on chains )while watching it a chain broke,or popped off probably the only draw back I see to this machine.Bottom line when I sell my Turfco walk behinds I will buy a LS walk behind .Oh yeah the hitch rack makes hauling it easy.

LawnSolutionsCP
10-30-2009, 09:06 PM
The chain coming off this morning was embarrassing...we left the chain lube at the office...when the unit is new it is especially important to lube the chains each morning when they are in the brake-in period. It takes about 20-30 hours for them to initially stretch and break-in. We put it back on and sprayed them down when one of my guys got back from the office like we should have before taking it out...live and learn.

We did put 11.9 hours on the machine letting hundreds of people try it in 2 days...no too bad. It pretty much ran non-stop. Just glad it didn't rain today like expected.

a plus bob
10-30-2009, 09:17 PM
The chain coming off this morning was embarrassing...we left the chain lube at the office...when the unit is new it is especially important to lube the chains each morning when they are in the brake-in period. It takes about 20-30 hours for them to initially stretch and break-in. We put it back on and sprayed them down when one of my guys got back from the office like we should have before taking it out...live and learn.

We did put 11.9 hours on the machine letting hundreds of people try it in 2 days...no too bad. It pretty much ran non-stop. Just glad it didn't rain today like expected.

No you put 11.9 HARD hrs on it :) If it will hold up to that it should be rugged.

LawnSolutionsCP
10-30-2009, 09:31 PM
Very true...

Considering most of the time none of the tires were touching the ground.

EastCoast
10-30-2009, 09:31 PM
David,

Will the re-designed handle assembly be applied to the "Turf Revitilizer" as well?

LawnSolutionsCP
10-30-2009, 10:06 PM
No plans for it yet...

RABBITMAN11
10-31-2009, 12:06 AM
The ride on is a beast I don't care what is said about! Like I said 150 aerations in 6 weeks , machine held up great.
Posted via Mobile Device

br549oicu8
10-31-2009, 06:30 AM
I thought the machine was very impressive. Would really like to hear what's involved in changing a chain. Looked like it could be a lot of work, but I'm no mechanic. Could you give us some tips?
Thanks!

lawn king
10-31-2009, 06:40 AM
David, are the hydro controls in the same place, i cant see them in the posted picture? Thankx scott.

LawnSolutionsCP
10-31-2009, 08:08 AM
I thought the machine was very impressive. Would really like to hear what's involved in changing a chain. Looked like it could be a lot of work, but I'm no mechanic. Could you give us some tips?
Thanks!

9/16" box wrench to adjust tensioners, pliers to remove and then reinstall the master link, and about 10 minutes. Everything can be done in the field on the spot...as we did.

LawnSolutionsCP
10-31-2009, 08:09 AM
David, are the hydro controls in the same place, i cant see them in the posted picture? Thankx scott.

Only the handles are different...same hydro with a little different controls.

LawnSolutionsCP
10-31-2009, 08:32 AM
No you put 11.9 HARD hrs on it :) If it will hold up to that it should be rugged.

That would have been the hardest ~12 hours anyone has or will ever put on one of these machines. Full speed in a 100x200 ft area, almost non-stop, at full speed, full throttle, full tine depth, and running wide open with nothing but turn, turn, turn at 7mph....we even rotated drivers like an endurance race because it was tiring to run it that hard in such a small area. You body is constantly going side to side changing directions like riding a roller coaster.

When riding on just the tines, the machine was kicking out 6" plugs, in 1 complete piece, that people just couldn't believe and they watched it happen. They looked like cigars. Once you go over 4" that machine slows and uses a ton of fuel...it is designed for 3-4" plugs at full speed.

There will be several news / TV shows featuring it this spring...We will post who and when it is going to air first of the year once I have a date...but it should be awesome.

TennisBum
10-31-2009, 10:50 AM
Will the new handle design be available as an upgrade to the early machines?

a plus bob
10-31-2009, 11:13 AM
Best I could do for a tine shot also you can kinda see the tranny.Split reel with grease zerks in 2 places.The chisel shaped things in the tines are to help kick the plugs out.Hey LS guys how about putting a machine on its side and get a shot of it :)

NattyLawn
10-31-2009, 12:05 PM
Off topic, but was a topdresser unveiled at GIE?

LawnSolutionsCP
10-31-2009, 01:44 PM
No top dresser shown yet. Didn't get some of the new hydro parts in time. We added some new features and won't show it until its in the final config.
Posted via Mobile Device

HISnHERS
10-31-2009, 01:58 PM
Will the new handle design be available as an upgrade to the early machines?

I had the same question after I tried it. It looks like a pretty direct swap and I understand that a little bit of chassis modification is required due to the different cables. It seems that LS is pretty customer orientated so I'm sure they'll work with anyone wanting to make the swap. I know I'm going to follow up with them in a couple weeks.

LawnSolutionsCP
10-31-2009, 05:01 PM
I had the same question after I tried it. It looks like a pretty direct swap and I understand that a little bit of chassis modification is required due to the different cables. It seems that LS is pretty customer orientated so I'm sure they'll work with anyone wanting to make the swap. I know I'm going to follow up with them in a couple weeks.

The new handle design will require some minor fab work on the frame, but easily done in 1-2 hours.

David

Pistol
11-01-2009, 02:32 PM
David,
I demoed your WB aerator and the renovator - couldn't get the smile off my face. I aerated and slit seeded this fall with the standard "rental" (beat me up) equipment. With the aerator, out of habit, I kept pushing down on the handle to engage the tines deeper into the soil, bringing the front wheels off the ground. Does this get the tines deeper into the soil if you do this -just curious.

LawnSolutionsCP
11-01-2009, 02:40 PM
David,
I demoed your WB aerator and the renovator - couldn't get the smile off my face. I aerated and slit seeded this fall with the standard "rental" (beat me up) equipment. With the aerator, out of habit, I kept pushing down on the handle to engage the tines deeper into the soil, bringing the front wheels off the ground. Does this get the tines deeper into the soil if you do this -just curious.

No, the unit is balanced so most of the weigth is already over the tines...making it easier. There is no need to push down to get good plugs.

a plus bob
11-01-2009, 05:32 PM
I liked the Honda option. Not sure I wouldnt prefer the pistol grip compared to the new model but many have asked about changing so maybe its better?

LawnSolutionsCP
11-01-2009, 05:37 PM
I liked the Honda option. Not sure I wouldnt prefer the pistol grip compared to the new model but many have asked about changing so maybe its better?

The pistol grip design is quicker and preferred by landscapers who are used to using them. If you take the time to learn how to use pistol grips correctly, they are more productive. For novice users, the new design is much better...but the new design is easier to turn...

The pistol grips will always be an option but only upon request.

grass4gas
11-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Two questions come to mind...

1. How does it aerate in reverse? Does letting go of the handle engage the reverse motion?

2. Or does letting go of the handle act as an engine kill?

LawnSolutionsCP
11-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Depends on which control setup you are asking about.

The new one is push to go forward and pull to go backward.

The pistol grips drive just like a comemrcial mower. Let go to move foward, neutral in the midddle, and full squeeze for reverse.

David

grass4gas
11-02-2009, 05:58 AM
I have the pistol grip one. If you let go of the handle what happens? Does it just stop like the ryans with the same handle configurations do? Does it not have an engine shut off because it goes to a "neutral" position?

LawnSolutionsCP
11-02-2009, 07:02 AM
I have the pistol grip one. If you let go of the handle what happens? Does it just stop like the ryans with the same handle configurations do? Does it not have an engine shut off because it goes to a "neutral" position?

Yes, on the new design, when you let go it goes back to neutral.

The engine does not shut off when you let go of the machine because it does go back to neutral.

rcreech
11-02-2009, 11:16 AM
I have read parts of this thread but not all of it...but just wanted to say that LS by far is leading the market in aerators!

Great job David!

You have set the bar very high IMO!

grassman177
11-07-2009, 02:27 PM
i am glad to see you have a very active role in this site DAVID. thanks for taking the time to answer all our ?s

rcreech
11-07-2009, 06:08 PM
i am glad to see you have a very active role in this site DAVID. thanks for taking the time to answer all our ?s

Same here!

The thing I like about David is he is Get-R-Done guy! If you see him at the shows he is the one out sweating his butt or and "showing off" his masterpiece!

I really like that...because he is out in the trench's with us!

Same with Tom and Andy at LT Rich!

I like to see the OWNERS out working with us!

Totally awesome machines!

a plus bob
11-07-2009, 07:38 PM
I cant wait to see what new toys you will have for us to try at GIE 2010 Thumbs Up as soon as I get my Turfco aerators sold I plan to order a walk behind.Still think I will go with the pistol grip Version.

LawnSolutionsCP
11-08-2009, 08:30 AM
I cant wait to see what new toys you will have for us to try at GIE 2010 Thumbs Up as soon as I get my Turfco aerators sold I plan to order a walk behind.Still think I will go with the pistol grip Version.

We will have some very over the top new products that we will show at the EXPO is 2010. We are working on the drive system and platform right now. Primary market isn't just turf, but a lot of turf guys would use them.

If you get a new aerator, you can get either control setup. I'm a pistol grip fan and so is Josh, but it is growing on both of us. VERY easy to use.

LawnSolutionsCP
11-08-2009, 08:34 AM

Thanks for the comments....LawnSite keeps us on our toes, but it is also very important and great way to educate. There is a lot of good information on this site, but there is a lot of mis-information as well. We try and help educate improving YOUR bottom line which in turn helps mine.

Education and experience is what seperates the true LCO professional from the rest.

yardmanlee
11-08-2009, 09:27 AM
sorry to just getting around this. I think the ride on was pretty awsome. was unsure till I tired it and it didnt take long to get the hang of it. the walk behind I didn't care for maybe cause the mud and lack of traction, and probably cause im getting lazy in my old age and would rather ride than walk. but was very impressed w/ the ride on, I could see getting that stuck anywhere? the foot control was genius!! is there a dealer near me?

LawnSolutionsCP
11-08-2009, 09:34 AM
I could see getting that stuck anywhere? the foot control was genius!! is there a dealer near me?

I think you mean "I couldn't see getting stuck"....

With all the mud, we were pulling other trucks (F350 4x4s) who were towing trailers out of the mud after the demos at the EXPO. Just drop the tines and there is more traction that you would ever need. Just wish I had some pictures.

Yes, you will have a dealer in your area this spring.

rcreech
11-08-2009, 09:37 AM
sorry to just getting around this. I think the ride on was pretty awsome. was unsure till I tired it and it didnt take long to get the hang of it. the walk behind I didn't care for maybe cause the mud and lack of traction, and probably cause im getting lazy in my old age and would rather ride than walk. but was very impressed w/ the ride on, I could see getting that stuck anywhere? the foot control was genius!! is there a dealer near me?

yard,

The walk behind unit is pretty sweet. I got one before this fall and I lover it! I used to TUG and lift the "old school" style and I am only 33 but it about KILLED me after a couple.

The LS walk behind is like a self propelled push mower. The ride on is a great unit as a great friend of mine has it and he swares by it!

Wish he lived closer...then I wouldn't have to buy one! :laugh: JK Rabbitman!

yardmanlee
11-08-2009, 09:37 AM
yea what he said!! LOL, thats what I meant. are you David? I think I spoke to ya and ask if you were the one posting on here. so who will the dealer be?

LawnSolutionsCP
11-08-2009, 09:42 AM
yea what he said!! LOL, thats what I meant. are you David? I think I spoke to ya and ask if you were the one posting on here. so who will the dealer be?

Not sure just yet...working on several in your area. Just check our dealer locator in the spring.

Yes I talked with you at the GIE-EXPO, I remember talking with you at the show outside in the demo area.

David

RABBITMAN11
11-09-2009, 07:50 PM
All you have to do creech is drive over here and pick it up and try in out on a few of your properties.

a plus bob
11-09-2009, 07:55 PM
All you have to do creech is drive over here and pick it up and try in out on a few of your properties.

Is a 100 a few ? :laugh:

rcreech
11-09-2009, 09:33 PM

I was just mess'n wit ya!

I wouldn't mind trying it on a couple hundred though! :)

How ya get'n along?

grassman177
11-09-2009, 10:07 PM
that is one very real true comment. i find that is what has made us on top of our game over many others in our area. knowledge is the ammunition you need to win the war on lawn ******s>hahfahha