PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Turf Tracer engine cutting out!

4curbappeal
10-29-2009, 10:40 PM
I have a 52" Exmark TT wit a 23 hp Kaw engine. The engine only has about 200 hrs on it, but the mower prob has close to 1000.

Today while cutting I noticed that the engine would cut off for a couple of seconds usually while turning or backing up at the end of each pass. I have only had the mower for a couple of weeks and have noticed once or twice before today. It would also do this occasionally when backing up by squeezing the ECS controls.
I am by no means a mechanic, nor do I claim to be, but it seemed fuel starved or maybe even a bad wire or safety switch. I really have no clue! I will replace the fuel filter tomorrow and see if this helps, but wondered if anyone could help diagnose the problem.

Thank you again to everyone in this forum for your help. Having a bunch of mechanical issues with 3 of my mowers this year and would probably go crazy and broke if it weren't for this site!

Thanks again,
Tim

sjessen
10-29-2009, 10:44 PM
It could be the safety switch associated with the operator presence control.

mowerknower
10-29-2009, 11:00 PM
Id be looking at opc switch or the brake switch. you can bypass the brake switch and it will not affect the safe operation of the mower (its just there to make sure you dont drive with the brake on) If bypassing that doesnt help then try replacing the opc switch.

Restrorob
10-29-2009, 11:07 PM
If it hasn't already been done, Un-plug the seat safety switch and put a jumper wire across the plug connector contacts then test run the unit.

If it no longer acts up replace the seat switch, Do NOT leave it jumped for your's and other's safety.

If it still acts up with the seat switch jumped, Look on the engine near the dipstick tube. See if there's a black oversized pill capsule looking device with two wires coming out of the top, This is a mercury switch that kills the spark if the unit is operated at too much of a angle. When going bad they can cause what you described on flat ground, Remove the one wire that is grounded to the engine then test run again.

If it no longer acts up replace it, Again for your's and other's safety.

sjessen
10-29-2009, 11:10 PM
If it hasn't already been done, Un-plug the seat safety switch and put a jumper wire across the plug connector contacts then test run the unit.

If it no longer acts up replace the seat switch, Do NOT leave it jumped for your's and other's safety.

If it still acts up with the seat switch jumped, Look on the engine near the dipstick tube. See if there's a black oversized pill capsule looking device with two wires coming out of the top, This is a mercury switch that kills the spark if the unit is operated at too much of a angle. When going bad they can cause what you described on flat ground, Remove the one wire that is grounded to the engine then test run again.

If it no longer acts up replace it, Again for your's and other's safety.

His mower is a turf tracer not a lazer.

mowerknower
10-29-2009, 11:10 PM
Retro,
You are a smart man. Probably one of the better Techs out there. But this time you are dead wrong. A turf tracer does not have a seat, it is a walk behind. Atleast you made me feel good about myself.

Restrorob
10-29-2009, 11:31 PM
A turf tracer does not have a seat, it is a walk behind. Atleast you made me feel good about myself.

It's been a long day and I've been in need of new glasses for a while now but haven't taken the time.

Least I did do something good in this thread..... Made you feel better about yourself..... http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

4curbappeal
10-31-2009, 11:32 AM
Does anyone have time to describe to me how to bypass the brake switch? Again, I greatly appreciate everyones help. Thanks!

Tim

unkownfl
10-31-2009, 01:52 PM
how many wires on the switch? two wire just jump it if it needs to normally closed.

Leaf Jockey
10-31-2009, 03:15 PM
I've had this problem before and it turned out to be a bad ground. Its certainly possible to have a bad ground on a piece of equipment thats been repowered.

Scott

4curbappeal
10-31-2009, 06:57 PM
Thank you. So I guess my question is if it needs jumped how do I jump it? If it is a bad ground wire then how do I ground it correctly?

Tim

unkownfl
10-31-2009, 07:38 PM
Thank you. So I guess my question is if it needs jumped how do I jump it? If it is a bad ground wire then how do I ground it correctly?

Tim

If it is two wire just splice the together so it loops.
Posted via Mobile Device

4curbappeal
10-31-2009, 07:56 PM
If it is two wire just splice the together so it loops.
Posted via Mobile Device

unknownfl,

IT is just 2 wires. Should I simply unplug it, then take the two ends strip them down a little, then connect them and put electrical tape around them? Is there a way to find out if the brakeswitch is the culprit?

Thank you very much for your help!

Tim

mowerknower
10-31-2009, 10:20 PM
Unplug it, use 2 male spades and 3" of wire, make a jumper and plug it in. You can use the same jumper for the day on the opc switch, just be careful. The mower will drive and cut with the opc switch bypassed

unkownfl
11-01-2009, 12:00 AM
or use a butt connector with heat shrink.you can use a multimeter and check via ohms to see if the circuit is complete or just trail and error.

4curbappeal
11-01-2009, 12:15 AM
Thank you fella's! I will post results soon.

unkownfl
11-01-2009, 05:33 PM
First see if just unplugging it works though as it may be normally closed and then switches to normally open or vise verse.

4curbappeal
11-05-2009, 03:12 PM
UPDATE!!!!

Today I tried to start the TT today with the wire unplugged and nothing, so I headed to the local automotive store to see what I could come up with.

I picked up a couple of butt connectors, wire and crimpper bor whatever its called. I connected the butt connectors with a couple inches of wire and then connected them to the wire i had unplugged from the break switch. The engine fired right up, but died when I would put it in gear. Have I done something wrong? Should I try something different? Is it possible that the brake switch may not be faulty?

I forgot to mention that I had surgery yesterday and am tired and feel like crap! I admit I am an idiot when it comes to electrical wiring etc., but this seemed like a pretty easy fix.
Any and all suggestions are welcomed . Maybe unknownfl will stumble on to this thread as I really need this mower rolling and cutting tomorrow!

Thanks again everyone.:hammerhead: Tim

sjessen
11-05-2009, 07:32 PM
My guess the problem lies with the safety switch on the opc or the parking brake.