PDA

View Full Version : 12' plus wreaths

addictedtolandscaping
10-30-2009, 10:25 AM
Hi Guys:

Things have finally started here, Thank God Himself.

I met with a potential client yesterday that is looking for a really bigt wreath, minimum of 12' with LED and a bow. I am currently searching the internet and trying to locate some. I found one in but it is an Olympia Pine Series, meets all the requirements except the bow, but I know I can get the bows, not to worried about that. Any of you guys got any suggestions where I could find a wreath this big??

Thanks

Dennis

hotrod1965
10-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Try GKI, they have 12' wreaths.

turf hokie
10-30-2009, 04:37 PM
I believe the Olympia Pine is a GKI item, you will be happy with it. You will want a 6 ft structure bow to put on it. They are not cheap.

David Gretzmier
10-30-2009, 11:23 PM
I have experience with the gki/bethlehem lighting olympia foliage. It is a good item. I have an 8 footer I did for several years. I also have many of thier 6 footers from 4 plus years ago. I hope it is lit with c-7, as dealing with all the mini's gets kinda old after 6-7 foot. be aware this is either a 2 man pulling up with ropes or lift situation. very heavy. bear in mind mounting this needs to be in the overkill category, as in, if this falls on someone, it can kill them. The bow just needs to be priced with the wreath total, and let them know the bow has a 3-4 year life on fading to pink.

addictedtolandscaping
11-01-2009, 05:35 AM
Thanks guys!!

I will be going with GKI if the customer signs, I talked to HBL yesterday, i could have saved about $500 over GKI had I been able to get an HBL piece, but nothing I can do about that now. I have to go down today and remeasure about 20 trees they want to canopy light with mini's. All the trees range between 20 and 30 in height, so I am going to take my little old measuring wheel, walk around in a circle at the canopy and then figure on going around each tree about 10 times. They don't want to branch light or anything, so I assume this is the best way to estimate the amount of lights, fortunately I have 2 cases of clear mini's in stock, 100 lights at 46.5' long. I think I will still have to get another case. I got my fingers crossed, this and the other estimate I did would be awesome. I would recoup some of my investment, have a great storage and rehang contract, outstanding media coverage on the huge wreath as it is a historical building, and really get my name out there.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement so far guys, I really do appreciate it!!!!!!

David Gretzmier
11-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Wow, I did not know HBL could produce a 12 foot wreath for you that quick. That is news to me. I know they do custom luminaries and 3-d stell frame stuff in about 2-3 weeks lead time if they are not booked up, but I had no idea they could make a huge wreath.

as far as guesstimating how many mini's to put on trees, your method is as good as any. I always seem to underestimate how many mini's can fit on a tree, whether free form or tight wrap.

I hope you get the job. selling jobs keeps me in the Christmas spirit !

addictedtolandscaping
11-01-2009, 09:23 AM
Mike said they could custom make it, however, it is to late this year. I got a price from GKI who is willing to get it produced for me from DPDesigns, believe it or not, I can get it from them, profit on the piece, cover installation and still sell it to the customer less than some of the other people I talked to on Friday will even sell it to me for. Absolutely amazing. I understand people have to make money to be in business, but WOW!!

This would be great to land, it i sin a historical district, actually the building can be found on Wikipedia. It would be absolutely fantastic for media coverage. I went back down this am and viewed the site again, there are 4 minimum half inch eye hooks in place and two of the old chain hoist systems at the location for the wreath for it to be secured to. The made my thoughts a bit easier, I am thinking braided cable for the anchoring points of the wreath. Got my fingers crossed on this.

turf hokie
11-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Dennis

Check you in box, sent you an email

Bryan

addictedtolandscaping
11-03-2009, 05:31 AM
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions!!

I me with the owner yesterday, we will be getting the job, lost the wreath portion of it, but did get the installation, removal and maintenance on it none the less; one of the so called wholesalers I was talking with cut my throat, so needless to say, I will not be using them in the future regardless. I am leaning towards using 1/4" braided steel cable to display the wreath. Any one have any suggestions on how to get the media involved? The entire project is centered around the Victorian Stroll sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce. The building we are installing the wreath on is actually on the National Historic Site Listings. If you search McCarthy Building Troy NY it comes up.

Thanks guys.

Good Luck to all.

turf hokie
11-03-2009, 06:39 AM
Please PM me or let me know what happened with the wholesaler...I know you probably dont want to name names here but any wholelsaler that cost you a job does not want to be around long or thinks they are above it all and I dont want to end up with the same problem

Thanks

David Gretzmier
11-03-2009, 07:28 AM
oh, on the contrary, we need to name names here and specify the problems. I do. and we all are better for it. the only way folks that sell stuff will change thier behavior is if there is a punishment for said behavior.

turf hokie
11-03-2009, 12:41 PM
oh, on the contrary, we need to name names here and specify the problems. I do. and we all are better for it. the only way folks that sell stuff will change thier behavior is if there is a punishment for said behavior.

Good point. I cringe every time I have to buy something from a distributor that also installs. Do they do much larger jobs that I may never get?Yes....but do I not get them because the distributer installs instead of referring the work, probably.

hotrod1965
11-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Good point. I cringe every time I have to buy something from a distributor that also installs. Do they do much larger jobs that I may never get?Yes....but do I not get them because the distributer installs instead of referring the work, probably.

That's an interesting point. I never really thought about that being an issue. But I don't buy from any other installers either.
The local distributors that also install only sell garbage LED lights anyway. I'd rather not spend my Christmas Eve fixing displays because of low end products!

addictedtolandscaping
11-04-2009, 05:13 AM
Soon as I can figure this thing out, still don;t know how to initiate a PM. They are here in NY, West of me about 3 hours, right off of 81.

turf hokie
11-04-2009, 06:47 AM
I have not been able to receive or send a PM in over a year. Nobody can tell me why not. I can only read, move and delete the old ones I have saved.