PDA

View Full Version : Rototiller - Hydrolic or Gear Driven?

JimLewis
10-30-2009, 06:24 PM
I am looking at buying a new rototiller. We always rent the Barreto 13 hp tillers when we need them. But at this point we're paying enough each year in rentals that it makes more sense to buy one now.

We love the Barreto tillers - always have. But they're rather spendy. I can get a gear driving 13 hp BCS Rototiller for quite a bit less. And the distributor raves about them. But I have no experience. I am afraid we'd break stuff on the machine when we were tilling rough ground or ground with roots inside. Currently, we never havve that problem with the Barreto tillers.

Anyone have experience with both varieties that they can share with me? Just trying to decide which to buy.

http://www.bcs-america.com/tiller_details.cqs?catid=d0ceb4ea9bdbfe2a07d5d9be01a12287

ARGOS
10-31-2009, 10:28 AM
I own two BCS tillers and have rented the Barreto. The BCS's have had a lot of cosmetic issues, but in general run well and have done a good job for us. I would buy another BCS if I had to. I do like the Barreto. I don't think you could go wrong with either tiller.

Summit L & D
10-31-2009, 10:57 AM
I love the Barreto tillers. Don't ya'll have a walk behind skid (dingo, MT, or something like that)? If you do, why not get an attachment tiller? I say this because you'd gain quite a bit of stability, the walk behind tillers always buck if you hit hard soil.

ARGOS
10-31-2009, 11:09 AM
How does that tiller attachment work on the dingo? I always wondered about the large footprint of the walk behind with tiller attachment. I would like a walk behind skid, but it is behind a new truck. I do have a skid steer, but a tiller attachment would make it a very long piece of equipment in residential applications.

JimLewis
10-31-2009, 02:11 PM
Yah, we lease a Bobcat MT55 for half the year (spring and summer months). So most of the time we have that. But we don't own a tiller impliment for it. We can rent it by the day but don't own one. And we often Do rent the tiller impliment when needed.

But there are two reasons we'd want a walk behind tiller. First, the Bobcat is super heavy and bulky and takes up most of our trailer. So if it's not already on the jobsite for some reason, it's just a lot of time to load it up and get it over to a jobsite as compared to a fairly small tiller.

Second, the bobcat is often already on another jobsite with another crew. We have 3 install crews. So often 2 of them need a tiller on the same day. One can use the Bobcat one, the other still needs just a walk behind.

Third, the Bobcat is just a little too big to get into some of the smaller yards we work on. Or there is a set of steps going down or up to the back yard that won't accommodate a bobcat, but would accommodate a tiller. A lot of the properties here in this part of OR are hilly and tight access. Often even too tight for a Bobcat or Dingo.

So there are lots of reasons we'd prefer a tiller over the implement on the Bobcat.

pugs
10-31-2009, 03:12 PM
I would go Barreto for the simple reason they are located in the same state as you. I would think support would be excellent.