PDA

View Full Version : Ransomes 36 walk behind pulley

Paul_NJ
10-31-2009, 12:00 AM
I have an old Ransomes 36" walk behind I use to maintain a few properties. Recently one of the blade drive pulleys came loose, and I discovered the pulley was pretty wobbly. I replaced the pulley with a new one, it was a better fit on the spindle, and tightened the two Allen set screws pretty hard. Within an hour the pulley was loose again. Next I had the spindle replaced, still a better fit, but the pulley came loose again after 30 minutes. Anybody have this experience? I hate to use Loktite on the set screws, but is that the proper fix?

Thanks

ricky86
10-31-2009, 01:46 AM
New pulley, new spindle and red loctite. That's the way it is.

Breezmister
10-31-2009, 02:22 AM
Anybody have this experience? I hate to use Loktite on the set screws, but is that the proper fix?

Are these new set screws ?

What I have done is back up one set screw with another set screw if I can not use new.

A new set screw will have a better nose to it,( I'm sure there is a fancy engineering term for it.) A cup, that will cut into the shaft or key. This will help prevent back out.

If you have to use Loktite, use the Blue. It's not as strong as the Red, but it will hold the set screw in there.

Good Luck

Paul_NJ
10-31-2009, 09:45 AM
Thanks guys!