PDA

View Full Version : License?

JCPM
10-31-2009, 11:32 AM
I see alot of you guys saying that you're licensed & insured. What on earth kind of license do you have for lawn mowing?

supercuts
10-31-2009, 12:01 PM
we dont need one in CT, some states may require it. you will need one for pestisides

ozd12005
10-31-2009, 12:24 PM
Around here every town requires a working permit for the year. In order to to get one of those permits you must be have a business license from the state and have business insurance. Also must have a license for pesticides

Also agreed this needs to be put in the start up section because knowing if you need this would be a good step in figuring out your overhead

tjlco
10-31-2009, 12:30 PM
its a drivers license..I mean you have to drive to the lawns right?...and whats this overhead you speak of....lol

unkownfl
10-31-2009, 12:34 PM
You need a tax license and tax recipe here in FL. I collect sales tax if you don't you don't need one.

ozd12005
10-31-2009, 12:40 PM
its a drivers license..I mean you have to drive to the lawns right?...and whats this overhead you speak of....lol

You really drive to the lawns? That's funny!!!! I use my 12 speed from lawn to lawn and that overhead thing I talk about is to look out for any low tree branches that will snap the push broom off my seat rack. I'm just thankful that I found a bungee on the road this season to hold my scissors so I can now trim and edge lawns

W.L.M.
10-31-2009, 12:42 PM
Need to register your enterprise and have your sales tax certificate. Other than that no license needed unless you plan to apply chemicals. It is absolutely neccessary to have liability insurance though.

rocklandls
10-31-2009, 12:47 PM
In Connecticut, you do need a Home Improvement Contractor License (HIC) if you are doing any Landscaping that permanently changes the property. IF you are just mowing, you don't need one; but anything other than mowing, then you do need one. I never had one til a couple of years ago when the Department of Consumer Protection had a mock house and arrested a couple of Landscapers who were going to install new plantings. From that point forward, I got a license. FYI I didnt get arrested-I saw it on the news

dgw
10-31-2009, 02:17 PM
rocklandls
LawnSite Member

In Connecticut, you do need a Home Improvement Contractor License (HIC) if you are doing any Landscaping that permanently changes the property. IF you are just mowing, you don't need one; but anything other than mowing, then you do need one. I never had one til a couple of years ago when the Department of Consumer Protection had a mock house and arrested a couple of Landscapers who were going to install new plantings. From that point forward, I got a license. FYI I didnt get arrested-I saw it on the news

good to see them keeping the streets safe

SangerLawn
10-31-2009, 10:19 PM
I see alot of you guys saying that you're licensed & insured. What on earth kind of license do you have for lawn mowing?

You question is what separates real companies from people who are just out trying to make a buck. Real companies have employee so workman comp is a must and insurance is required, large trailer so DOT numbers required. Then most people consider a DBA or LLC a type of license.

Long story short, we don’t just mow grass. We make lawns look spectacular because we made a business out of this…meanwhile some people just mow grass and expect to make a living out of it…most of the time we just laugh at them.

Hope this helps??

JCPM
10-31-2009, 11:25 PM
Around here every town requires a working permit for the year. In order to to get one of those permits you must be have a business license from the state and have business insurance. Also must have a license for pesticides

Also agreed this needs to be put in the start up section because knowing if you need this would be a good step in figuring out your overhead

No...I am a legit, full time company and have been in business for the last 8 years. I don't carry any licenses because I mostly only do lawn mowing and small jobs that don't require one. The only time we do bigger stuff is when we are subcontracted by a builder that carries their own contractor's license. Still I see companies smaller than me, (that don't do fertilizing) that advertise that they are licensed. It makes for interesting conversations with could-be customers who assume that we are supposed to have one.

JCPM
10-31-2009, 11:29 PM
So no this was not a start up question.

DJ'sLawnCareSvc
11-02-2009, 02:06 AM
i have a license by my parish (Louisiana), that is the only way that i can hold a bank account in my business name, and do business legally. Its basically an occupational license, or in other words a way for the parish to make money off every business

LawnCosmetics
03-02-2010, 11:15 AM
I just started my Lawn Care business this year and when I went to the PA Garden Expo last week, I noticed everyone has the following number: PA###### It's PA with a 6 digit # following it. Now, most of the companies there were BIG landscaping companies. So I looked on line and it looks to me like if I'm only doing "Lawn Care" then I don't need to register with the Contractor License Number. BUT - if I do anykind of decking, concrete, major over hauling, then I have to get this license. In Pa, it's $50 and you need proof of your existance and insurance, it's good for 2 years.

I probably don't technically need this right away, but I'm getting it anyway. It says to the customer that I'm serious and I'm professional. It's worth the money.

If anyone else in PA has had experience with this, I'd love to know what you think and what your experience was with it. Thanks!

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
03-02-2010, 03:45 PM

ahhh if you have an LLC YOU yourself are licensed as well

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
03-02-2010, 03:50 PM
I just started my Lawn Care business this year and when I went to the PA Garden Expo last week, I noticed everyone has the following number: PA###### It's PA with a 6 digit # following it. Now, most of the companies there were BIG landscaping companies. So I looked on line and it looks to me like if I'm only doing "Lawn Care" then I don't need to register with the Contractor License Number. BUT - if I do anykind of decking, concrete, major over hauling, then I have to get this license. In Pa, it's $50 and you need proof of your existance and insurance, it's good for 2 years.

I probably don't technically need this right away, but I'm getting it anyway. It says to the customer that I'm serious and I'm professional. It's worth the money.

If anyone else in PA has had experience with this, I'd love to know what you think and what your experience was with it. Thanks!

hey man, why dont you just go for LLC (limited liability company) its the cheapest easiest way to get licensed and have a professional business. mine only cost $518/anually in VA and that includes a registered agent to handle your taxes and liability if you get sued for any reason. They also cannot take your equipment if you get sued, so its a good thing to have. You can also get business insurance on top of that but its more money. i just started and i have an LLC and its perfect for what i need- just mowin lawns, cleanups and mulchin etc

LawnCosmetics
03-02-2010, 06:56 PM
hey man, why dont you just go for LLC (limited liability company) its the cheapest easiest way to get licensed and have a professional business. mine only cost $518/anually in VA and that includes a registered agent to handle your taxes and liability if you get sued for any reason. They also cannot take your equipment if you get sued, so its a good thing to have. You can also get business insurance on top of that but its more money. i just started and i have an LLC and its perfect for what i need- just mowing lawns, cleanups and mulchin etc

Thanks for the input.... I will check into that. I work for an Accounting office, but that's not my area of specialty there. I will speak with the owner and ask him what would be a good course of action.

In respect to the Contractors License Registration - no matter what type of INC, LLC, or DBA - you still have to register in PA. I called the Attorney General's office today and they confirmed exactly what I had mentioned earlier. Although, if I do any kind of "shrub removal, deck, concrete, retaining walls, or yard grading - I MUST be registered. If I am strictly cutting grass and mulching, then I don't.

Long story short, I'm registering. Thanks again about the LLC info! :waving:

OUTLANDER
03-02-2010, 08:16 PM

aaaahhhhhhh its mostly just a lame azz sales pitch..lol..i see that alot around here too.........other than a pesticide license good luck trying to explain this one away.........kinda like the whole call for a free estimate thing..LOL DUH!! whos gonna pay for an estimate?,,I personally stay away from this one here:laugh:

TSB group
05-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Its $50, they could care less about anything else but your insurance, and your $50. I got mine just to avoid issues. And why not, it look nice printed on all your adds, trucks etc. The downside is you need to have it on ANYTHING with your company name on it. Trucks, quotes, etc. That also goes for shirts and things, but no one really does it there.

Can't hurt anything, and at least it is proof of insurance for any of your clients.

Thanks for the input.... I will check into that. I work for an Accounting office, but that's not my area of specialty there. I will speak with the owner and ask him what would be a good course of action.

In respect to the Contractors License Registration - no matter what type of INC, LLC, or DBA - you still have to register in PA. I called the Attorney General's office today and they confirmed exactly what I had mentioned earlier. Although, if I do any kind of "shrub removal, deck, concrete, retaining walls, or yard grading - I MUST be registered. If I am strictly cutting grass and mulching, then I don't.

Long story short, I'm registering. Thanks again about the LLC info! :waving:

stew6371
05-09-2010, 12:25 AM
I would think that people that just want their yard mowed could care less if you are licensed & insured or not. But those that want a nice manicured lawn probably feel like a professional is doing the work if thay are licensed & insured. But I could be wrong. Its happened before. I have to get a license from the state for $20 to register my name so no one else can use it.

PMLawns
05-19-2010, 01:54 AM
I reside and do business in the state of PA. There is alot to be understood within the PAHIC registration. It seems to some in this area, that this "appears" professional, or is quite simply a formality of business. I have heard of several small business owners getting the "server shaft" due to compliance issues within the contract. I.E. There is a clause now, pertaining to a three day rescission period, that affects our contracts. The laws have changed in regards to how we much money we can collect, upon agreement. In years past, we could accept half of bill upfront.....balance due when project was completed. Now...we can only accept 1/3 of job's total or $1,000.....whichever is less. There are of course, stipulations that exempt "special order" items. The fine state of PA also tells us when we can expect payment from our customers. There is a little more to it than $52.00 every two years............

shooterm
05-19-2010, 10:39 AM
I watched three guys mow a small boulevard with two ZTRs and a trimmer while I ate my cheese stick. One guy was stuck between the Air Compressor and Gas Station Sign. I'm betting the owner of that company hates low ballzors.

cujrh10
05-19-2010, 03:50 PM
You question is what separates real companies from people who are just out trying to make a buck. Real companies have employee so workman comp is a must and insurance is required, large trailer so DOT numbers required. Then most people consider a DBA or LLC a type of license.

Long story short, we don’t just mow grass. We make lawns look spectacular because we made a business out of this…meanwhile some people just mow grass and expect to make a living out of it…most of the time we just laugh at them.

Hope this helps??

Sometimes the smug can be down right smothering in here!!! I mean honestly, I work a 40 hr/wk job and intend to supplement my income with additional funding from lawn care. You may want to come down off your soap box and join the rest of us because you owning a big outfit makes you no better than me owning a single walk behind and making a little extra cash so I can put food on the table for my 2 children every night. And guess what, I do a dam good job of it too!

cujrh10
05-19-2010, 03:53 PM
I watched three guys mow a small boulevard with two ZTRs and a trimmer while I ate my cheese stick. One guy was stuck between the Air Compressor and Gas Station Sign. I'm betting the owner of that company hates low ballzors.

my previous post applies to you as well. In no way are you contributing to the original posters question. I am just getting into lawn care myself and was hoping to get some informative feedback on this topic. Your cheese stick lunch hardly qualifies as informative in regards to this topic (or any topic on this forum for that).

mahall79
05-28-2010, 11:36 PM
does anyone know if you need a license in york county Pa to run a lawn care company?