PDA

View Full Version : Photo Design Software prices

DaveK
05-12-2002, 12:06 PM
There have been many posts on design software, but little dicussion on the prices.

We all know that Sierra is low end and runs under $50 (can probably be found discounted for much less)

How much does DesignWare by Design Imaging Group (DIG) cost?
And how do you get a trial/demo version?

How does it compare to Sierra Photo Garden Designer and/or LSI Landscape Illustrator?

I downloaded the demo of Landscape Illustrator and was very sorry I wasted my time (23MB). Just placing and changing the perspective of an object takes far too many mouse clicks. Even with practice and experience, I don't see how you could be efficient with that many clicks per object. The user interface is even complicated. Sure it probably has many advanced features (that nobody ever uses) but if I wanted a CAD-like program....

I have used Sierra's Photo Designer and like it. Well, almost like it. It has a few bad points: some of the plants look cartoonish, it doesn't like to fill large areas with texture on large high res photos, and even when adding your own plant photos as objects there is no way to organize them - they are all mixed together in no specific order, not alphabetic, not by oder of addition, just random. That is my biggest complaint with it.

LSI looks like it could be a great product, but I can design a landscape in Sierra in a fraction of the time, and time is money.

creative concepts
05-14-2002, 09:09 PM
It all varies on what you want to do with the program but I believe DIG sells for around $600.00. I purchased LandCadd from eaglepoint software along with a few modules and spent over $1,500.00 but the program is worth its weight in gold as far as the results are concerned. If you want a design that looks like a hand drawn blueprint it will cost much more than what the Sierra program will run you. I tried LSI and was not happy with the results as it looked a little crappy to me.