PDA

View Full Version : Aeration Timing

rwsawal04
10-31-2009, 06:12 PM
I'm just starting my business, when is the best time of the year to aerate? I'm thinking the first part of year around march or april.

a plus bob
10-31-2009, 06:23 PM
I'm just starting my business, when is the best time of the year to aerate? I'm thinking the first part of year around march or april.

Fall is best March /April your just asking for crabgrass :nono:
I usually start labor day weather permitting and go until mid Nov.

rwsawal04
10-31-2009, 06:35 PM
Thanks bob for your help.

david shumaker
10-31-2009, 07:16 PM
I've never had anyone want it in the Spring.. I start at the end of August until middle of Oct.

lukemelo216
10-31-2009, 10:33 PM
ya the roots are growing the most during fall so thats generally the best time to do it. I prefer to dethatch during the spring.

rwsawal04
10-31-2009, 11:33 PM
Thanks lukemelo216

Hanau
10-31-2009, 11:35 PM
Fall is best March /April your just asking for crabgrass :nono:

If you sell crabgrass treatment as well as aeration. $$$$$$ :cool2:

:laugh:

AI Inc
11-01-2009, 06:00 AM
In my opinion , right before the start of the fall growing season wich is late aug around here.

lawn king
11-01-2009, 07:17 AM
Fall is superior, we have clients that insist that spring aeration is what they want so we now do a spring aeration run as well.

bx24
11-01-2009, 11:47 AM
I do them in the spring. Why since I can deal with crabgrass way easier then deal with POA issues around me.

turfcobob
11-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Both spring and fall are good from the plants point of view. Cool nights, water and good growing conditions. Late fall is really good and you can fert behind it to give the plant a jump start in the spring. BUT and there is always a but....If you have a new customer you may have a difficult time convincing them fall is best...Poke holes just when the grass is going to sleep???

I usually start new customers in the spring. Mow extra short, Aerate, put down some fert, water and bingo in a few days lots of nice new growth. The customer will really be happy with all the new grass and you will be a hero. Then you can move them to the fall program once they understand the benefits of aeration.

The old theory that aeration promotes annual weeds ( especially after pre-emerge is down ) has been put to rest by studies at major universitites. Proven is the fact that plant roots will not grow down through a barrier and plants will not grow sideways to find a hole. The only infestation will be seeds right at the hole edge that can grow up into the hole.

Spring is easier on your equipment as the ground is soft but you will have a small window before spring services start. So keep spring aerations to a minimum. The fall aerations will be harder on your equipment as the ground is usually hard and dry. Wait till you get rain if possible. Overseeding time is best to aerate just before you slice seed. Also fall aeration is a great way to extend billiings into the later months and there is no pressing window to get them done. You can successfully aerate till the ground freezes.

wrager
11-12-2009, 04:00 PM

Depends on the turf type. If it is Bermuda, you do it when it is growing vigorously. I usually do it around the 4th of July.

Smallaxe
11-13-2009, 08:15 AM
... The old theory that aeration promotes annual weeds ( especially after pre-emerge is down ) has been put to rest by studies at major universitites. Proven is the fact that plant roots will not grow down through a barrier and plants will not grow sideways to find a hole. The only infestation will be seeds right at the hole edge that can grow up into the hole. ...

This fact that proves the plant roots will not grow through the barrier... How deep does this barrier go? and does it affect the established plants at all?

Coumbe
11-16-2009, 02:55 PM
Anytime you have a customer willing to pay you for it!:laugh:

ArTurf
11-24-2009, 12:27 PM
I am located in south Arkansas which I would think is in the same temperature zone as you. I assume you are dealing with warm season grasses so you want to aerate when these are actively growing. I usually do my aerations in late April. This is when the grass is starting to come on and the ground is soft enough for good penetration. I will aerate more often on lawns I feel need it. Later in the summer you may have to time it after a rainfall to make sure the ground is soft enough.

rwsawal04
11-24-2009, 09:45 PM
Thank you ArTurf

froglawn
02-11-2010, 02:16 PM
DONT do it in summer...you will really dry things out!

betmr
02-19-2010, 01:57 PM
When ever soil is compacted, and conditions are right for the machine.