PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki Problem

laman
11-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Has any had an oil leak on the filter side of a kawasaki 23 horse power? The last 2 times I have changed oil I have noticed this. It get a little oil build up above the filter on the fins of the motor and on the the filter. dust and fine grass stick to this area. I cleaned this area after last oil and filter change and after 50 hrs. the slight leak is there. More annoying than anything. The engine has 400 hours and I would like to fix problem.

NC Greenscaper
11-01-2009, 05:37 PM
most likely seepage around filter seal.

80sturgisrider
11-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Has any had an oil leak on the filter side of a kawasaki 23 horse power? The last 2 times I have changed oil I have noticed this. It get a little oil build up above the filter on the fins of the motor and on the the filter. dust and fine grass stick to this area. I cleaned this area after last oil and filter change and after 50 hrs. the slight leak is there. More annoying than anything. The engine has 400 hours and I would like to fix problem.

There is an o ring behind the oil cooler (thing with the fins). next time you have the filter off, try to tighten the threaded stud that holds the cooler on. if that dont do it, remove the stud, replace the o ring, then re-tighten the stud. this stud is also what holds the filter on. let me know what happens.

laman
11-01-2009, 06:15 PM
There is an o ring behind the oil cooler (thing with the fins). next time you have the filter off, try to tighten the threaded stud that holds the cooler on. if that dont do it, remove the stud, replace the o ring, then re-tighten the stud. this stud is also what holds the filter on. let me know what happens.

I thought I had read something like you quoted but couldn't remember exactly how they said to fix it. Thanks...

unkownfl
11-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Try putting oil on the seal and thread before screwing it on as well as the oring will wrinkle up or rip while installing it if it is dry.

jvanvliet
11-02-2009, 06:29 AM
overtightening will compress the O ring & cause a leak... a little oil on the seal & thread like unknownfl says is also really important

yardatwork
11-02-2009, 06:52 AM
I had to have the head rebuilt on one of my 23 hp Kawasaki engines...at...400 hundred hours.

I also just checked my oil levels and the one 23 hp engine was down about a quart. It's leaking somewhere or burning it up during operation. I have a HUGE list of issues with these motors. Just about every 200 hours something goes wrong...and...I have two of them right now and if something goes on one...within 10-20 hours it'll go wrong on the other engine.