PDA

View Full Version : SALT WATER and Cool Season Turf Germination

jlbf0786
11-02-2009, 01:40 AM
I am working on my semester project, and i've chosen to do it on the effects of salt water on cool-season turf germination.

I've chosen to use these 3 species for the trials: (Tall Fescue, Perennial Rye, Kentucky Blue)

Have any of you guys near the coast had any experience with cool season turf and the seed germination rates and outcomes..???

There are a few varieties on the net that i just found.
- Tarheel II (tall fescue) developed in NC
- Moonlight SLT (kentucky blue)
- Brightstar SLT (perennial rye)

All 3 had high germination rates, but has anyone out there had any "hands on experience" w/ any of these? - or another variety?

Any/all feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!

thanks

JB
Charlotte NC

AGLA
11-02-2009, 08:07 AM
I have never observed or heard any discussion amongst landscapers about any difference at all in germination on ocean front sites compared with more inland sites. Do you guys notice a difference down there?

GrazerZ
11-02-2009, 06:34 PM
I dont have anything too specific for you. what i can say is that the lawns we service that are right on the water, we include an application of gypsum to keep the salt index in check.

AGLA
11-03-2009, 08:17 AM
Is that from salt in the groundwater, coastal flooding, or from ocean spray?

GrazerZ
11-03-2009, 06:58 PM
For us its the spray mostly. The lawns I do are not subject to subsurface salt water leeching but I have heard guys tell they have had issues with it.