PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions?

Patrick210
11-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Ok, I will be starting my own lawn care buisness next spring and naturally have a couple of questions. What are some sugguestions on mowers, trimmers, etc. to buy. I've been looking at the wright stander and toro grandstand both. Also one of my buddies owns a a rather large lawncare company. I have been doing some "practicing" on some of his mowers all three are wright standers and everytime I go to turn around I tear up a spot in the grass. How do I avoid that? Thanks

AzLawnMan
11-02-2009, 10:43 PM
everytime I go to turn around I tear up a spot in the grass. How do I avoid that? Thanks

3 point turn my friend. Dont zero turn or you will get the results your getting. When you get to your turning point, round it off, then back it up and turn it around. Remember, a non moving tire will leave a rut. If its moving then you wont get the marks. Takes some practice but very easy to master. Alot more noticable in wet grass. Hope what I said makes sense.

MJS
11-03-2009, 12:53 AM
Ok, I will be starting my own lawn care buisness next spring and naturally have a couple of questions. What are some sugguestions on mowers, trimmers, etc. to buy. I've been looking at the wright stander and toro grandstand both...

As far as equipment goes, I wouldn't put as much money as you're talking (Grandstand or Stander) into a mower when you are just starting out. Unless you've already got 50 customers, I would stick with a walk-behind - be it a belt drive (cheaper) or a hydro (more expensive but with some added benefits).

Wherever you decide to get your gear; if you are buying new - make sure that it's from a good dealer. If you want your stuff to last, don't get handhelds or pushmowers at a big box store. . .

Stick to commercial brands, maybe look at some good used equipment.

Somthinrandm
11-03-2009, 01:12 AM
Ok, I will be starting my own lawn care buisness next spring and naturally have a couple of questions. What are some sugguestions on mowers, trimmers, etc. to buy. I've been looking at the wright stander and toro grandstand both. Also one of my buddies owns a a rather large lawncare company. I have been doing some "practicing" on some of his mowers all three are wright standers and everytime I go to turn around I tear up a spot in the grass. How do I avoid that? Thanks

I asked myself the same question when i was about to buy my new equiptment. I would advise choosing a walkbehind to start out with, because you can get into some places where riders can't fit. besides You were already looking at toro and wright standers, get a sulky for the walkbehind, its cheaper and does the same thing. you can hang it to the handlebars when not needing it to. Also to save money I chose the biggest deck that could get between a backyard gate. Having the biggest mower will save alot of time on front yards but if your client has a fenced in backyard then you are SOL. Measure your clients gates before purchasing a mower. hope that helps.

Landscape Poet
11-04-2009, 11:29 PM

Dealer is everything - if you read this site enough you will see people beating each other up verbally every day or so on what mower is the best. Here is my opinion and I think most people will agree this is a honest statement. If buying new or used, you dealer is the most critical element to your equipment and yours future and happiness. Since you already have a friend in the industry in your area - he should be able to introduce you to his shop. When you find a used or new piece of equipment...call them and ask them their if they service that brand.....how reliable piece of equipment they feel they are...and most importantly how long it usually takes them to get parts from the supplier if they do not have in stock. I have said it many times - the reason I went with my current setup...they both have distro centers in Orlando...so as long as the part is ordered by 2pm it is at the shop by 11am the next morning. Issues like this are small ones that when you have a breakdown you will make you appreciate my advice. No matter what mower is the best in the world...one thing is for sure...it will eventually breakdown....down time = no money for you and potential lost customers if you are not up and running soon. Your dealer and his ability and networking skills should be you most important equipment decision.

I agree with MJS - before you go out and by a $9000 mower - look at used equipment....sure it is not new ...but if things get off to a slow start...your banker will not be knocking at your door. You can always upgrade later if you gain more business that your current equipment can handle. Again agreeing with MJS - it is worth the upgrade to commercial grade if your starting budget allows it. :)

hackitdown
11-05-2009, 06:30 AM
Practive the 3 point turn. Standers and riders will leave a mark if you do a zero turn.

A walkbehind is a less expensive option to be sure. However, a stander is way more productive, faster, easier than a walk behind with a sulky.

The Grandstand is very expensive, the Wright has the proven reputation. But you can also look at the Gravely/Great Dane/John Deere/Everride standers. They are all similar machines, and are cheaper. And right now is the ideal time to buy used, so keep your options open and check out the deals on Craigslist:

http://dayton.craigslist.org/grd/1445795852.html
http://dayton.craigslist.org/grd/1426789746.html
http://dayton.craigslist.org/grd/1431832101.html
http://dayton.craigslist.org/bfs/1416925825.html
http://dayton.craigslist.org/grd/1435190746.html