PDA

View Full Version : transplanting tree seedlings

garbage man
05-14-2000, 09:34 AM
When is the best time to dig up and transplant Walnut Tree seedlings?? I have young trees that are about three to five years old and want to transplant them from under the mother tree. I live in Southwest Virginia.

EarthWorks
05-14-2000, 02:56 PM
Best time is late late fall through very early spring in the South. I don't know about success rates of walnut trees transplanting. Basically do it when trees are dormant.

garbage man
05-16-2000, 06:25 AM
Thanks EarthWorks, I was not sure about it. There are some people that would like to have them. I guess that it is a little late but I will have to take a chance on it anyway. They have to be moved and giving them the chance to grow somewhere else is the least that I can do.

steveair
05-16-2000, 07:18 AM
To improve chances try digging around them first (like you were going to ball them) then fill in with wood chips. Wait a few weeks, and the roots will grow into the chips and become fibrous. Then transplant. It seems to have worked for me a few times, then again, I've transplanted trees in the middle of tree by just ripping them out with a backhoe and have had them look great the next spring. Just give it a shot and explain to client how they may not take due to the time of year. They will usually understand then if they die.<p>steveair