PDA

View Full Version : what about attaching the ridges

TPnTX
11-03-2009, 11:05 AM
When attaching lights to the ridge and use clips you have to attach to an edge and so you cant see them from both directions.

a solution suggested to me was to use a silocone attach to top center of the ridge.

any suggestions

TPnTX
11-03-2009, 11:36 AM
I know this is an age old question. I was hoping more people are on this forum now and there may be useful input since the last in depth thread back in 07

turf hokie
11-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Those clips should slide into the shingle(ridge) at top center so that the light is visible from both sides. Use a putty knife to break the seal if the heat/sun has the shingles stuck together.

PS Most guys are out installing. I happened to have just finished my house and sent the crew to lunch before the next stop.

brianpsmith
11-04-2009, 12:00 PM
A staple gun with 9/16 staples works great. One staple an inch from the socket keeps the bulbs upright. If they do sag it is not noticeable at night. Do not staple directly next to the socket or you will have a few sockets lose their back plating from the impact.

Brian P. Smith
www.we-illuminate-4u.com
Utah

turf hokie
11-04-2009, 02:52 PM
A staple gun with 9/16 staples works great. One staple an inch from the socket keeps the bulbs upright. If they do sag it is not noticeable at night. Do not staple directly next to the socket or you will have a few sockets lose their back plating from the impact.

Brian P. Smith
www.we-illuminate-4u.com
Utah

Staples? We don't even put them on the truck, way old school.
Posted via Mobile Device

David Gretzmier
11-04-2009, 11:33 PM
Guys, Christmas Decor was sued over this very item several years back, and lost in court. They are not the only Christmas light company who have been sued and lost in court over damages resulting from roof leaks. Lifting up the shingle and breaking the seal on ridges causes leaks. HBL, Brite Ideas, and Christmas Decor specifically state in training NOT to put c-9's on ridges or valleys, DO PERIMETER ONLY. They do so to protect themselves from liability. I protect myself from roof leak liability by not doing it. For legal reasons as well I am on record saying others should not do it, ever, period.

9/16 staples? again, a few hundred small holes is a wrong, bad idea, especially when you pull them up in January.

TPnTX
11-05-2009, 09:29 AM
so a couple of years ago you were only doing it with a signed release of liabilty now notta.

thanks for the heads up.

This is the 3rd year I've done the house. It is actually the first house I ever did and it's still the only one that I put the light on the ridge.

That 1st year I knew better than to try and pry the shingle loose with a putty knife. To me and at risk of insulting someone, one look and you should know better than to separate the shingle. Its a bad idea and most likey you'll tear it. There is enough flex at the botton edge of the shingle to easly slide in a tab. It's no different that doing it on and edge.

So I guess no one has tried the silicon idea? My first guess is that it limits your time of day as wells day where you can install. You cant expect the silicon to stick if the shingle is wet.

Thats pretty much what I came here to ask. Not how to pry the shingle loose, or LOL staple to a shingle. Brian, man... if youre doing that you really need to stop. I know its a tiny staple. Its not the staple you have to worry about. Its the hole it leaves.

this pic shows how I put them on this house.

turf hokie
11-05-2009, 09:47 AM
No offense taken. But you can name me as the guy that said to slide them in or use a putty knife. You asked a question, I apologize if the answer I gave you was not to your liking. It is how we have been doing it since day one. No problems.

You method works fine on a hi-ranch peak, but what of a more intricate roof that you need to see the lights from two sides?

We use shingle tabs, yours are pointing straight up which I would imagine may cause issues in rain and snow?

I will get a pic of ours shortly, I just have to go back to one of the houses we did yesterday.

Bryan

wurkn with amish
11-05-2009, 07:28 PM
One way you could put them on the ridge is use those clear square bases that c-7's slide into. Like you said though the silicone needs time to dry so it takes a little longer thefirst year. Then we just leave the bases up on the roof when we take the lights down.

David Gretzmier
11-05-2009, 08:33 PM
If the bases stay up there, then that is a method I can finally approve of. I really just don't want you guys put in situations that cost you money down the road. I did used to do a few of them with a waiver, and yes, I still have one left, full discosure here, with a waiver. when it is gone I am done, but I have to admit, if the bases can match the roof shingle color, I am fine with that one. This is the first time I have heard of it. good idea.

turf hokie
11-05-2009, 10:30 PM
If you mean parapet clips, they work to an extent.

I have them on part of my roof (part of my roof is flat) I put them up last year and out of 125 we had to reglue 25 this year. They peeled off, the glue held but it actually took the gravel(if that is what that stuff is called) part of the shingle right off, I was left with round black spots where brown gravel used to be. So it may not be the best idea to do on a customers house.

TPnTX
11-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Let me be a little more clear about the putty knife.
Where the shingle can flex of course you can carefully pry the two layers apart and it should be fine.
At the crown of the ridge however I can't imagine trying to pry there.
Look at the top of the letter "A" you be prying against the oposing side of a 45• angle.
And there virtually no flex at that point.
Way too risky especially for a worker to do

i would like to see the clips. If they are plastic the may not hold up to more than one Texas summer
Posted via Mobile Device

brianpsmith
11-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Good topic guys! And thanks for the heads up on the staples and holes issue. We have 3 that still request this and i will phase this out immediately.

Brian
www.we-illuminate-4u.com
utah

turf hokie
11-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Let me be a little more clear about the putty knife.
Where the shingle can flex of course you can carefully pry the two layers apart and it should be fine.
At the crown of the ridge however I can't imagine trying to pry there.
Look at the top of the letter "A" you be prying against the oposing side of a 45• angle.
And there virtually no flex at that point.
Way too risky especially for a worker to do

i would like to see the clips. If they are plastic the may not hold up to more than one Texas summer
Posted via Mobile Device

We dont go to the top center of the ridge or "A" as you call it (the "A" is a good way to visualize). We will "pop" the seal on the side of the ridge and slide the shingle tab up to the center so that it is visible from both sides.

I really need to get pics, I just did not have the energy to go on a roof today. I have a one story to go on tomorrow if I remember to snap a photo I will post.

I agree that most employees dont understand how to do this properly, I have spent A LOT of time (years) hand holding on roofs to get my roof guys to understand how to do these things properly.

turf hokie
11-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Just another thought as I re-read...

I don't like the word "pry" as that is not what we use the putty knife for. How we do it is more "slide" the putty knife is laid flat on the roof and "pushed" or "slid" between the shingles. "prying" will tear a shingle every time.

My only suggestion or precaution is to wear gloves while doing this or you will have bloody knuckles after you pop the seal and you knuckles drag along the shingles.

turf hokie
11-06-2009, 08:23 PM
just trying to get my post count up.:hammerhead:

here is a pic of a parapet clip if anyone is unsure. We have had them on a roof for 4 years with no brittleness or issues other than some having to be reglued. The have UV protection in them and should be good for 5-6 years.

wurkn with amish
11-07-2009, 01:00 PM
Looks like Turf beat me to it on pics. The other is the shingle tab and clip together.

turf hokie
11-07-2009, 07:11 PM
Wurkin' -- I cheated and just copied the pic of an internet site. Yours was better it's an actual photo.

Here are some pics of what I was trying to explain about the putty knife and shingles. It's not as steep of a roof, but it hopefully shows how we do it.

Pic 1 --This is where we break into the shingle
Pic 2 --SLIDE the knife into the shingle DO NOT pull up
Pic 3 --Then carefully work the knife up to the center
Pic 4 --Insert the shingle tab (only 1 side) some guys like to cut the other side off I think it is just an added step you cant see the exposed tab.
Pic 5 --Slide the shingle tab up to the center until you reach mid point, making sure all tabs previously done are in a straight line.

TPnTX
12-01-2009, 08:56 AM
good pics but you are right thats not a very steep roof at all. Most houses around here are very steep high pitch roofs. Which lends itself even more to David rule which is "Don't do it".

Look at the pic on the second post of mine. There is no way to "slide" the knife. I agree pry is a strong word. You have to slide and gently pry. The thing is the single in my pic ain't gonna give it up.

TPnTX
12-01-2009, 09:08 AM
check this out. This house is belongs to a lawn customer of mine. He has lights put up every year. I've mentioned it to him before about us doing it but he is very happy with whoever does his lights and he is very loyal to people he likes. Which is good for me because he likes us too.

I've never worried about it or paid much attention to how they do it. This year however I did look closer. The only part of this job where they use clips is on the gutters. The rest of it is stapled. The Lights are on every ridge. Every year. Year after year they staple the light to the roof along the edge of the soffets.

I have a problem with that.

Im on a committee for our town and they asked me to get prices for lights for the downtown area. I called around and spoke to several companies. Its a conflict of interest for me to do the job. While I was talking to the various companies I asked about residential roofs and staples. A lot of companies use staples. One guy told me thats what he carries insurance for. (leaks)

Tq23
12-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Litesource sells a ridge row clip, $41 for a box of 500. Check it out and see if this product helps.

David Gretzmier
12-02-2009, 02:07 AM
That is what I carry insurance for? so I can staple lights to roofs...That is amazing. My professional coverage does not cover stupid. It mentions reasonable and customary practices with my industry, but specifically excludes coverage related to intentional damage of the home.