PDA

View Full Version : New start(sorry for being long)

JD71
11-03-2009, 11:26 AM
Well, I have been visiting this site for a few weeks and have asked a few questions, but I felt like telling my story. 24 years ago (when I was 14) I had a lawn business built mainly of widowed older ladies in my town that knew me because my mom was their beautician. I mowed 24 yards a week for about 5 years and did it mainly pushing my lawnmower form house to house with a wagon tied to it and my trimmer,broom(yes broom..no blowers back then), and gas can in it. When I decided ot go to college I sold my cistomers to another business for 5k (pretty good for 1990!). Well, went to school , started a career, got married and started a family. Back in March I was laid off after 15 years in the logistics/transportation industry. A friend of mine who owns a property management company approached me in May about mowing some rental homes for him and I jumped at it becasue he would pay me caash and I could still draw my government check each week, well one thing led to another and by July I had 15 weekly accounts and numerous spot work (mulching, one time mows, etc), by this time I am using my personal JDLA115 riding mower, troy bilt 21" push mower, troy bilt 4cyl trimmer, and blower all on a 5 x 10 trailer.
Starting in August the job market started picking up and went on several interviews with large companies (FedEx, UPs, etc), but I kept hearing the same thing, that I was too over qualified for the position. Frustrated, teh only enjoyment I had each day was working out in the hot Mississippi heat mowing, mulching,etc knowing that what I was doing was going to make the property look better and I was getting paid for it. Well, one of my clients (who lives out of town but owns 5 properties here) has approached me about investing in my company if I wanted to go into it full time and I have chosen that path. So now I am in the processing of legally starting my business and starting to market next years service. I am excited and a little scared, but I have faith in my work and my dedication and I am looking forward to a very successful, but new career!!!:waving:

Jhill19
11-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Wish you the best of luck man! My dad was recently laid off from his pharmaceutical sales job back in june and worked with me side by side this past summer. He is at an interview right now with another company as we speak. It was great being able to work with my dad all summer long but unfortunate with the economy the way it is that he lost his solid job and is searching for another, but all will be good soon.

JD71
11-03-2009, 01:10 PM
thanks Jhill19! Hope your dad is "knocking them dead" today at his interview. Its been tough for allot of folks, but you know, I always use a line in one of my favorite movies "Shawshank Redemption" in which Morgan Freeman's character says, "get busy living or get busy dying". Well, I am not ready to die yet sooooo, here I am!

Jhill19
11-03-2009, 01:16 PM
I'm sure he is, it's his 3rd interview with the VP's. I hear ya on the quote man. Do work as we always went by when I ran cross country.

g21
11-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Congrats JD. Sounds like things are starting to fall into place for you. Not familliwar with your area...is there plent of room for growth?
If you need help with any aspect of your business, don't hesitate to ask. I'll do whatever I can to help!

Tommy

JD71
11-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks Tommy (I have enjoyed some of your videos), actually, Southaven is just outside of Memphis in one of the fastest growing communities in the state. There are allot of small guys just trying to make a buck then there are guys like me who are passionate about what they want to do and hope to provide a great service to customers. I am lucky right now to have the time to really investigate the industry and kinda help me establish my niche...thanks!

DLAWNS
11-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Welcome to Lawnsite! Good luck with your new venture. Any questions just ask!