PDA

View Full Version : What would happen if you ran oil/gas mix in mower?

JDiepstra
11-03-2009, 07:49 PM
Long story short due to being in la la land today I ran my mower out of gas on my brothers lawn. I had enough regular gas in a can to get it back onto the trailer but not enough to finish the job. I thought about using the oil / gas mix can but didn't want to cause any issues. Can anyone tell me what would have happened if I used the mix in the mower in my sig? Thanks.

M & MD Lawn
11-03-2009, 07:55 PM
I've often wondered the same thing, i figure it might not combust right or something since its not pure gas, idk

starry night
11-03-2009, 08:04 PM
I'm not sure what anyone else will say but I have run mix in a mower when I ran out of regular gas. I don't think the oil is enough to cause any problem, at least in the short run.

greendave
11-03-2009, 08:24 PM
The rings will get WELL lubricated!

If you run Amsoil 100:1 like I do, you'd probably never know the difference.

Seriously, on a short term basis, you won't do any harm. If you ever do inadvertantly or out of dire need run mix in there, just make sure you fill the tank with your normal gas as full as possible, as soon as you can to dilute what mix you put in.

tamadrummer
11-03-2009, 08:31 PM
I run it every now and then. I will also run it in my truck every now and then. I run it in my small walk behind all the time. It is the only fuel that mower gets since I do not carry straight fuel in my mowers ever. Since I am running high quality fuel and oil and I don't believe that it will hurt the mowers at all.

I don't know if it helps but it certainly isn't hurting it at all.

dutch1
11-03-2009, 09:09 PM
From what I have experienced I would suggest that it not be done for an extended period of time.

When I was turning wrenches in a shop envoirnment, we once took in three Billy Goat wheel blowers with 11hp L head Briggs and a Billy Goat leaf loader with a 16 or 18 Briggs Vanguard OHV from a local lawn/landscape outfit. The complaint was that they would not start. A compression test on all of them revealed no compression. After teardown we found that all 4 units had exhaust valves stuck open and they were stuck open due to excessive carbon buildup on the stems.

When I called the foreman of the company it was revealed that they were sending out only 2 cycle mix on the job because the south of the border laborers couldn't(or refused to) remember what units used regular gas and what used mix.

I refuse to believe that it's a coincidence that all four units went down with the same symptom at about the same time.

Your mileage may vary.

Dutch

STIHL GUY
11-03-2009, 10:21 PM
i have run it in the truck before but not the mower

M & MD Lawn
11-03-2009, 10:23 PM
i have run it in the truck before but not the mower

why did u put in the truck?? was there a benefit?

unkownfl
11-03-2009, 10:31 PM
It won't hurt anything but the plugs. Yes more carbon would build up on the valves and ports but I steam(hot soak) my engines about every 100 hours anyways and about every 50k on vehicles when I change the oil and plugs

lonestar245
11-03-2009, 10:35 PM
IMO, if your doing this as a one time thing, there is really no harm to it, other than the extra load on the environment from burning oil. You know folks use "top end lube" in their cars- I used to run a gallon of diesel in my cars gas tank for the same reasons back in the 70's- a trick I learned from a Ford mechanic. Not sure I would go there with a modern fuel injection system though.

I have even used "Marvel Mystery Oil" in a Briggs flathead that kept dying when it got hot due to what I suspected was a sticking valve. After dosing the tank with MMO, it never died again.

I am also guessing with today's 50:1 synthetics (or better), that the carbon problem Dutch describes most likely would not happen in a 4 stroke, or if it did, it would take a lot longer to get to that point. But as Dutch points out- YMMV!

PROCUT1
11-04-2009, 02:46 PM
It will be fine.

Not something you want to do every day. But Ive done it many many times.

The oil in mix gas burns better than heavy motor oil so its less of a carbon issue.

It wont hurt the machine. But if you did it all the time you would have to replace your plugs a little more often and would have a little more carbon buildup than normal.

greendave
11-04-2009, 08:17 PM
It won't hurt anything but the plugs. Yes more carbon would build up on the valves and ports but I steam(hot soak) my engines about every 100 hours anyways and about every 50k on vehicles when I change the oil and plugs

Do it enough (run oil/gas mix) and it will poison the catalytic converter, rendering it useless.

JDiepstra
11-04-2009, 08:25 PM
Thanks everybody.

topsites
11-04-2009, 09:24 PM
I've ran 2-cycle mix for a short bit on my last lawn one time when I ran out of gas, it doesn't hurt it short term but it's not good for it either.

You definitely want to fill her up right after with some premium.

SunState Lawn Care inc
11-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Nothing will happen we have done it many times when we run out of regular and aren't near a station to finish up a job.

unkownfl
11-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Do it enough (run oil/gas mix) and it will poison the catalytic converter, rendering it useless.

LoL I don't know what lawnmower you have but it must be a very green state where you live.

greendave
11-05-2009, 07:15 PM
LoL I don't know what lawnmower you have but it must be a very green state where you live.

I knew I'd get some chit for that. I was referring to the posts like this:

"I will also run it in my truck every now and then."

If you have a truck, or car with a catalytic converter, it will happen. Eventually.

I live in the same state you do, btw................

topsites
11-07-2009, 02:40 AM

Maybe in a truck, but there's no converter on any yard machines I know of.

roadhawk
11-07-2009, 04:55 AM
Maybe in a truck, but there's no converter on any yard machines I know of.

Give it time...it's probably already on the drawing board.

greendave
11-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Give it time...it's probably already on the drawing board.

Keep an eye on California. They'll be the first to mandate it.

It's already hit the marine industry nationwide. We're next.

AI Inc
11-07-2009, 09:51 AM
You will blow a little smoke and maybe foul a plug. No big deal

SLR
11-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Hey man no longer caring about one of mine,i threw all sorts of things at it,
5w30,chain saw oil,etc..engines are actually pretty strong.