PDA

View Full Version : hoisting license question

landscapingson
05-13-2002, 08:24 AM
Im from mass. and Im wondering what is required to get a hoisting license so I can use my bobcat? Plus, where do I get it?

thanks

SCL
05-13-2002, 12:00 PM
A WHAT?

landscapingson
05-13-2002, 05:56 PM
I think you need a hoisting license to operate a bobcat am I right

Mykster
05-13-2002, 07:14 PM
Never heard of anything about a liscense to operate a Bobcat, at least not in my area.

PAPS
05-13-2002, 09:20 PM
i never heard of any operators license to operate a Bobcat here in NJ... sounds un heard of any wheres considering you can go to any rental store and just walk out with a Bobcat in minutes...

Brian Logee
05-14-2002, 06:44 PM
I'm from MA, too. I have heard of this new licensing requirment, but I have not had anybody check on it. I know ALCAM was setting up a study course and sponsoring an exam.

T. Matthews
05-14-2002, 09:13 PM
Yes I have my Mass Hoisting license. I took a class when I went to the Aggy now known as NSCC. I 'm rated for 2 b which covers bobcats, backhoes and front end loaders. I believe the guy who gave us our test was from Tewksbury State hospital. The two things you need to do is one contact Dept. of Public safety they issue them. The second thing you need i beleve is someone who has one already that will sponser you. I don't think they really check, but it better safe then sorry. I had a friend running a front end loader moving snow and he got cot by an inspector. Then inspector made him leave the loader right where it was till he got his license.

Mykster
05-14-2002, 09:44 PM
Do you know what the reason for this new license requirement is? Have their been alot of accidents in Mass. operating this equipment? Just seems weird to have to be licensed for bobcats, and front end loaders.

T. Matthews
05-14-2002, 10:00 PM
It is for hydraulic equipment that can raise an implement over 4 ft i think. That's why snow plows don't need them. this requirment has been around for sometime.

lawnstudent
05-14-2002, 10:21 PM
Do you know what the reason for this new license requirement is?

GENERATE REVENUE.

jim

LawnLad
05-15-2002, 07:59 AM
Second to California... Massachusetts is a hot bed of liberal democrats that just love to interfere with your life. Just one more way they can pass another restrictive feel good law so they can tell their constituents they are protecting the public. A bunch of hooey if you ask me.

Now, after stepping off my soap box, I must admit that I just read in ALCA's monthly magazine, the SBSC (Small Business Survival Committee in Wash DC) ranked Best and Worst states for small business according to government imposed costs for doing business, access to qualified labor, state support of business, red tape, computer related resources, utility costs, labor costs, taxes, etc.

Massachusetts ranked 21. Unfortunetly Ohio was (my state) was 40.

Nevada, South Dakota, Washington State, Wyoming and Florida were the top five.

Washington DC (not a state), Rhode Island, Hawaii, Maine and Kansas were the bottom five.

Maybe Massachusetts isn't so bad afterall - I just hate when regulations/laws get passed that appear to have no purpose.

site
05-16-2002, 09:54 PM
I hoisted them by the case back in college, but I never did have a license.

Cheese burger
05-21-2002, 11:43 AM
Here in Ga anyone can operate a skid steer. But if you put pallet forks on it you are supposed to have fork lift operators license (issued by company owning operating equipment). Rarely if ever enforced.

Dave