PDA

View Full Version : RedMax hedge trimmer attchmnt LRT-A...

DawgGrad00
11-03-2009, 10:59 PM
I have a pair of these that I took apart and replaced the grease after the blades hung-up on the crank shaft. The gasket that goes between the housing and cover ripped and so I cut a new gasket myself. The only problem was that the gasket material seems a little thicker and now the blades will hang up on the crank shaft whenever I start trimming. Everything looks good inside. I'm stumped on this. Bad blades maybe?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Breezmister
11-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Everything looks good inside. I'm stumped on this. Bad blades maybe?? .

I was just on the Redmax web site to look at the break down on your attachment

http://www.redmax.com/node3928.aspx

I don't think your problem is the blades, unless you have the nuts and bolts to them too tight. You should be able to turn the washers with your fingers. If you can not move the washers, then you need to adjust the bolts. Hold the nut with a wrench and back off the bolt untill you can turn the washers. Now spray some oil on the blades, PB Blaster, WD 40 or regular motor oil.

The manual should tell you to oil the blades regularly, this is to help prevent sap from building up on the blades. This is one of the main problems I see, blades run dry, sap building up causing the blades to stop/freeze up.

If this doesn't solve your problem, then its into the gear case.....

BTW, if you don't have the manual, you can down load it in a PDF

DawgGrad00
11-05-2009, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the reply. I know what your saying about the blades and I have the manual as well. That was where I found that info about the nuts and bolts on the blades. I figured that I would be something in the gear case but am unsure of what to look for since everything in inside looks good and feels tight. What would happen if you leave the nuts and bolts on the blades too loose? Thanks again for your help.

Breezmister
11-05-2009, 11:11 PM
What would happen if you leave the nuts and bolts on the blades too loose? .

Well, I've never seen any blades come in that where too loose. Just loose enough to cause a bad cut, but they would still move. If your blades are hanging from the guide bar, then you might have a problem.

The problem with these attachments are the gears, they have a very very close tolerances. They have to be put back together just right so the the gears can not float or move back and forth. If the gears float, they will wear the tops of the gear down to a point that only when they are close to each other, they will work.

But before you get to there, you have to rule out the blades binding up and the connecting rods hitting the inside of the gear case and jamming up. If the connecting rods have elongated holes or have lost their bearing if they have them. That would cause the blades to stop too.

Hope this helps you isolate your problem :)

ericg
11-06-2009, 09:30 AM
We have found that the upper bearing has too much play and causes binding of the eccentric on a few of our units that were breaking blades. The first clue once we took the cover off was a shiny spot on the cover where the eccentric was rubbing causing excessive drag especially after the unit got hot from use. In addition, if you use blades that are not RedMax, they are not held to the same tolerance as genuine RedMax blades and often cause friction issues. We learned that after attempting to diagnosis blade breakage on one unit. Once we changed back to RedMax blades the problem went away.

Eric