PDA

View Full Version : John deere 777 not as powerfull when new

Drivefaster35
11-04-2009, 09:59 AM
I have a John deere 777 with the 27hp liq cooled kawasaki engine. When I get into thicker stuff and mainly when I'm bagging I notice a lot that it doesn't quit have as much torque to get through the heavy stuff as it did when it was brand new. it has just at 1700 hours on it now and was wondering what to do. I've never heald on to a mower this long and everything else works great and is in good order was wondering if these engines are rebuild-able and reliable their after. Or if I should just get a new engine for it the mower itself has at least another 1000+ hours left on it. Any suggestions or ideas on what to do or where to look for a reasonably prices engine would be great thanks.

LawnCareNoobie
11-04-2009, 05:29 PM
I have a John deere 777 with the 27hp liq cooled kawasaki engine. When I get into thicker stuff and mainly when I'm bagging I notice a lot that it doesn't quit have as much torque to get through the heavy stuff as it did when it was brand new. it has just at 1700 hours on it now and was wondering what to do. I've never heald on to a mower this long and everything else works great and is in good order was wondering if these engines are rebuild-able and reliable their after. Or if I should just get a new engine for it the mower itself has at least another 1000+ hours left on it. Any suggestions or ideas on what to do or where to look for a reasonably prices engine would be great thanks.

Have you had it serviced lately? They can check rpm speed, compression etc...

Drivefaster35
11-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Have you had it serviced lately? They can check rpm speed, compression etc...

Had valves readjusted about 300 hundred hours ago and carb cleaned out and had to put a new head gasket on one side about 100 hrs ago or so.

Restrorob
11-04-2009, 08:25 PM
Kawi states to check/adjust valves every 300 hrs so it wouldn't hurt to have it done again, Also add a fresh set of plugs and check/adjust the governor;

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Kawasaki/FD/KawiFD671DUpGovAdjustment.jpg

Also as mentioned, Have the high speed rpm's checked. Springs weaken and cables stretch with age, If all mentioned doesn't solve the problem see if you can locate a shop that can perform a cylinder leak-down test. This test will show the true condition of the rings and valves.