PDA

View Full Version : HELP - I killed my lawn & winter's coming FAST

Lavernesr
11-04-2009, 11:43 AM
I had a portion of my lawn that I had it with - weeds, crabgrass, etc.

I had planned on:

killing
roto tilling
adding loam
replanting

this fall... but things came up and I'm out of time.

I'm located in central MA & it could snow any day!!

I sprayed it with Roundup about 6 wks ago & it's dead or at least looks it.

HELP!! WHAT NOW??

Is there something I can/should do to prepare to start over in the spring?

(Any advise on what to due in the spring would be appreciated as well)

I have a feeling I'm going to hear that I screwed up...

Oh yah, I have grubs too...and missed the window to kill them.

Help!!

JB1
11-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Sod>>>>>>>>>>>>>

EastCoast
11-04-2009, 12:04 PM
I suggest you hire a lawncare service in early spring.

david shumaker
11-04-2009, 10:55 PM
I've thrown down seed just before a late winter snow and it came in good in the spring. You might cut what you've killed real low with the mower and seed right before a good snow.

RigglePLC
11-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Sod. Or if not, your soil temp will not be enough for seed germination and early growth until about the date of your first mowing--I would estimate about the third week of April. I would say soil temp of at least 50 would be about right.

Smallaxe
11-06-2009, 07:39 AM
Dormant seeding for sure... As Riggle said, once your soil temps hit 50s in the spring your seed will germinate. It has all winter to 'plant' itself, especially if you do a topdressing of compost. Don't need much for seeding.

starry night
11-06-2009, 10:23 AM
I agree with others. DON'T TILL. Cut the dead residue short. Seed. Cover with compost if you have it; no compost? the seed will probably work its way into the soil during winter anyway. Don't worry; be :)

topsites
11-06-2009, 10:55 AM
This belongs here:
Homeowner's Assistance Forum (http://www.lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)

Thank you now.

Josh.S
11-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Dormant seeding for sure... As Riggle said, once your soil temps hit 50s in the spring your seed will germinate. It has all winter to 'plant' itself, especially if you do a topdressing of compost. Don't need much for seeding.

Do you have an article or can you explain how it "plants" itself while the seed has not germinated? I'm not sure if I understand how this works.

Lavernesr
11-07-2009, 12:03 AM
Hi - Thanks for everyones help.

Sorry if I wasn't specific. I've already killed the grass - it's brown dead. It's a small portion of my lawn 30x20 separate from the rest of the yard.

We had snow last night, and it's been cold. Still have a few more outdoor projects to finish so I'm throwing in the towel on this one for the winter.

In the spring I would like to add loam, level the area off and replant. It is also a semi-high traffic area.

So until spring....my only question is

Does anyone recommend anything I can/should add to the area now that would help prepare the soil for spring?

It looks like from shoveling snow will keep me busy until then.

Smallaxe
11-07-2009, 06:28 AM
Do you have an article or can you explain how it "plants" itself while the seed has not germinated? I'm not sure if I understand how this works.

This is an old trick used by farmers for generations. The freeze/thaw cycle is the activity that plants the seed. The swelling and contraction of the surface imbeds the seed like a sliver; same as if you're sitting on a rough plank.
It is also the swelling and contraction that loosens soils and builds structure.
Rain can also plant seed, but that causes, floating into groups problem.