PDA

View Full Version : Which Z do I buy?

ccorts
05-13-2002, 10:38 AM
I have been researching the Lazer Z, the Ferris, Chopper and Torro and am very confused. All machines seem to have their place as commercial mowers, but can anyone tell me about what is the best value for the buck! I'm only cutting 5-7 acres a week, but want dependability and low maintanence in a machine that will last as long as I do. (50 yrs old) Can you give me your opinion on a 48-52" deck--18-23 hp range machine. Thanks for any input, advice or suggestion on any machine.

HOWARD JONES
05-13-2002, 11:30 AM
Here's a little advice, based on your emphasis towards low maintenance: I would look at the spindle design first. I own a 60" Toro and am pleased with the machine but it has greasable spindles - it takes about one pump per hour of use - I usually grease, clean, and sharpen blades every ten hours (I also am mowing 5 acres and am 50 yrs old). The Exmark is almost identical to Toro chassis (Toro now owns Exmark) but has a different deck with sealed bearings - never grease. I was skeptical of this, but the posts on this site indicate they hold up very well. I believe Dixie uses greasable spindles, don't know about Ferris.

awm
05-20-2002, 07:44 PM
the lazer w 52 deck an 20 kohler,is a real good value.

farmguy
06-02-2002, 04:40 PM
I bought an Exmark 52" with 20hp Kohler this year. I mow about 10 acres of yards and equipment lot. I've got about 35 hours on it currently and it seems odd how little maintenance I have to do. I'm getting used to it though.:cool:

The real question comes down to dealer service.

lahanko
06-04-2002, 12:03 PM
We bought the Toro Z-Master 150 about three weeks ago, love it.
52 inch deck 20hp Kohler.
We use it on about 3 acres and the horse pastures.

Shultz
06-04-2002, 06:42 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by HOWARD JONES
[B]Here's a little advice, based on your emphasis towards low maintenance: I would look at the spindle design first. I own a 60" Toro and am pleased with the machine but it has greasable spindles - it takes about one pump per hour of use - I usually grease, clean, and sharpen blades every ten hours

AS with any commercial equipment, grease and PM's are necessary but......do you ever think this is excessive? The maintence schedule can't possibly call for this. Scag reccomends spindles to be greased every 40 hours or weekly. I bet your just pushing the grease out. I guess with that schedule the spindles will never wear out and the blades don't last too long.
:eek:

HOWARD JONES
06-05-2002, 09:27 AM
Well, Shultz, maybe greasing every ten hours is excessive - but Toro says to do it every 5 hours until grease comes out. I remember searching on the subject and Eric Elm greased every 15 hrs with about 15 pumps. (He said he had 4000 hours on some spindles) It requires the amount of grease I described to see any coming out. Some say that you don't need to grease until it comes out, though. Most commercial cutters sharpen every day - I'm not out of line there, either. The blades need the sharpening - I mow over sticks, etc and are dull after 10 hours. From my experience, the blades always wear out on the trailing edge first; "extra" sharpening does not shorten the blade life because that is not the edge that wears out first.

awm
06-05-2002, 06:09 PM
thats one thing i noted about the toro .
the dealer thinks its the best spindle out there ,but says u got to grease it dailey. they got one opened up on the counter and its heavy duty spindle.

scottb
06-06-2002, 07:30 PM
With either the lazer Z or the Toro Z you cant go wrong.

HOWARD JONES
06-07-2002, 10:09 AM
Don't forget the dealer network - I bought one of the most common brands (Toro) partly because there are lots of dealers - it paid off immediately because the dealers were not all at the same price - one was $1500 too high!