PDA

View Full Version : Should we do this?

iskoos
11-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Hi there,

My roommate and I were fixing the chinch bug damage on our St. Augustine/floratam yard recently. We did a good job and our neighbors(who have the same problem) saw us and asked us to fix their yards as well.
We have done a pretty good job so far and made some lunch money.
The other day one neighbor came to ask us to fix her yard. The problem is that her yard is entirely gone. About 2000 s.f. area needs to be resodded.
We did a research and we realized that we can do this within our budget and make some money. The problem is that it is now November in Florida and we are getting out of the rainy season. We will not have any freeze for the next several months and it will still reach mid to high 80s some of the days but we won't have rain every day(The yard has an irrigation system though). If we sod the whole 2000 s.f. and sod doesn't establish, then we would be liable. This is not a few s.f. we are talking about here. It is 2000!!! s.f.

So that's why I wanted to get your opinion. Is November still okay to resod in Florida?

Thanks in advance...:)

rob7233
11-05-2009, 02:21 PM
If you're not sure of what you are doing then it would be best not to accept the job.

Are you assuming that it's just chinch bug damage and have you ruled out other additional issues that may have contributed to the loss of the lawn? What are you going to do about those issues before you start? What proof can you give us that you have properly indentified and corrected all the site issues/problems before taking up and laying new sod?

Are you willing to take on the liability and accountability of this neighbor's lawn once you've received payment? Planning on being good neighbors a long time? Just know what you're getting into before you start. Good Luck.

iskoos
11-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Hey Rob,

Thank you for the reply.
If I was for the money only, I would just go ahead and do it and never bother doing study, asking professionals.
I have been maintaining my and some neighbor's yard for several years. I am not professional yes but I know about lawns more than an average person. And chinch bugs are very familiar to me. I can dignose chich bug problems by just looking at the yard. But of course I did more for this yard. I checked the lawn and spotted adult chich bugs all over the place. This is not a new issue with this neighbor; happened early this year (in May). I dignosed it at the time when the damage was insignificant and let them know that they needed to take an action immediately and I offered to spray their lawn but they did not believe me. They thought once the rain starts, the grass would grow back. It did not of course and now there is pretty much nothing left in their yard.
So far between my yard and neighbor's yard I have fixed a good several hundred s.f. of damaged lawn and all were successful.
I pretty much know how to clear and treat the top soil, grade the surface and lay the new sod. The only thing I am worried is that I have never done this in November. All the work I have done was in Spring, summer and late summer.
That's why I am asking if there is a risk involved due to the season. If there is, I would certainly not do it no matter how much they are paying me. I would just let them know that it is not the right time. But if it is possible, then I am not going to give them a half-assed crappy job. I am a neat and disciplined person and I produce a quality work. Please do not see my post done by some adventerous teenager looking for a quick cash...

Thank you...

Patriot Services
11-06-2009, 03:25 PM
I do sod jobs year round. It just take less water and a longer time to establish a strong root structure. My sod dealer get a thicker soil layer in the winter which helps protect the product through the winter. I would make sure you cure the chinch bug problem first though and keep on top of it. Floratam has a better resistance to chinch's than St. Augustine. Incidentally what are you charging. I have been getting 1.00 a sq foot with little problem. That is rip, rake, and replace.:usflag::usflag::usflag:

iskoos
11-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Thanks again for the reply.

I will do my best to cure the chich bug problem before I lay the sod(that's if I get the job.) but so far per my experiences, there is really no 100% solution to this chich bug problem. They seem to hit the lawn from different spots every year in the hot season. The best I found is to keep constant monitoring. That's what I do for my lawn. No matter how much preventative care I apply, they find their way in somehow and I have to fight them at least once every season.
I did not finalize my offer yet but it will be roughly around $2400 for 2000 s.f.
Of course this may be more than the street price and I will let my neighbor know about this. It is up to her which route she will take.
Since I am not a professional, I cannot compete with the guys who is doing this for a living. But if I get the job, I will come up with a good work.
Last year, a neighbor across my street did hire a professional to do her yard. She paid $1500 and I felt really sorry for the money she spent. The guy did such a terrible job that there was a sod on top of another sod. He used so low quality sod that the yard never fully came back. Then she had to hire another guy this year to do the whole yard once again. She paid $1800 but the guy did it well... I do not know how many s.f. area she had but my guess is around 2000 s.f.
Anyways, we will see how it will work for us...:)

P.S. So far I have used Permetrol(liquid) and some granular material to cure the chich bug problem. I find permetrol to be efficient if used a bit higher than recommended dose.
Do you guys have other reccomendations?

zturncutter
11-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Yes, I do have one recommendation. If you do not have the required state license/certification for applying caution label pesticides in the state of Florida you may want to reconsider applying chemical yourself. The fine of up to $5000.00 could be detrimental to your profitability.:cry:

iskoos
11-06-2009, 08:17 PM
In the United States, if something requires a licence then you won't be able to get it out of the shelves when you go to store. I went to a nursery and the guy recommended this stuff to me. It is not that I obtained it illegally.

Jeez man!.. What is this resistance? Is it because I am going to do what you guys are doing and then get paid? Do not worry! I do not have any intention to get into lawn business. And I never went out to get paid jobs; did not advertise myself; did not knock on doors. It is just neighbors saw it and then they came up to me. They were all small jobs. Because this specific one is a big job, I came here to ask opinions from professionals but in return I get slammed left and right.
Nobody is forcing nobody here. They came up to me and I will give them my offer. If they want it, then I may consider. If not, then nothing will happen.

Jeez...

zturncutter
11-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Jeez, YOU were the one that asked for a recommendation. It"s no skin off my butt. I am simply telling you that if another licensed LCO or PCO finds out and turns you in YOU could be fined. By all means do as you wish. Peace:confused:.

iskoos
11-06-2009, 08:42 PM
Yes, I asked for a recommendation but you sounded all negative about it. Some others were already negative so I did not understand why.

When I was asking for a recommendation, I was asking what you guys were using to treat chinch bugs and what type of method you guys were following than hearing the state fines in this category.:dizzy:

Anyways no big deal. Peace on my side as well:)

Lawn Shark prop mgmt LLC
11-06-2009, 08:50 PM
I don't do sod or fert....but i am curious, do you need a license to apply over the counter fertilizer ?

Patriot Services
11-06-2009, 08:55 PM
If this state didn't make it such a PITA to get an ornamental application license, everybody would. This why I laugh when people say I am so lucky to live in a state where we dont have state income tax. They nickel and dime us to death with fees and licenses. I have yet in all my years to see a code enforcer guy checking an LCO for his credentials. They are overwhelmed by abandoned propertys and rouge signs everywhere. The last person they will bother is a guy trying to clean up a problem. I still carry copies with me though for customers.Thats a really good price you are getting. The big sod layer here charges .44 sq ft and does crap work.:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Patriot Services
11-06-2009, 09:00 PM
I don't do sod or fert....but i am curious, do you need a license to apply over the counter fertilizer ?
It depends. The law says you can apply straight fert no problem. If it has herbicide or pesticide in it (think scott's bonus s) then you have to have an "Ornamental Application License". But, the loophole is it's only illegal if you charge for it. So, if the customer purchases it and you apply it you are in compliance. Confused yet?

zturncutter
11-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Some more info if anyone is interested, www.bobkesslerceu.com and no I am not Bob Kessler.:)

Landscape Poet
11-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Thanks again for the reply.

I will do my best to cure the chich bug problem before I lay the sod(that's if I get the job.) but so far per my experiences, there is really no 100% solution to this chich bug problem. They seem to hit the lawn from different spots every year in the hot season. The best I found is to keep constant monitoring. That's what I do for my lawn. No matter how much preventative care I apply, they find their way in somehow and I have to fight them at least once every season.
I did not finalize my offer yet but it will be roughly around $2400 for 2000 s.f.
Of course this may be more than the street price and I will let my neighbor know about this. It is up to her which route she will take.
Since I am not a professional, I cannot compete with the guys who is doing this for a living. But if I get the job, I will come up with a good work.
Last year, a neighbor across my street did hire a professional to do her yard. She paid $1500 and I felt really sorry for the money she spent. The guy did such a terrible job that there was a sod on top of another sod. He used so low quality sod that the yard never fully came back. Then she had to hire another guy this year to do the whole yard once again. She paid $1800 but the guy did it well... I do not know how many s.f. area she had but my guess is around 2000 s.f.
Anyways, we will see how it will work for us...:)

P.S. So far I have used Permetrol(liquid) and some granular material to cure the chich bug problem. I find permetrol to be efficient if used a bit higher than recommended dose.
Do you guys have other reccomendations?

Here is a suggestion for you - try Do-It-Yourself Professional pest control stores here- I suggest the one in Oviedo as they are not a franchise and they specialize in lawns too - they also sell quality local fertilizers made by Howard Fertilizer in Orlando.

These type of places sell professional strength pesticides to homeowners! I picked up a 27% solution of Bifen the other day for my home. 32 oz bottle cost me $48. Now if you do not know this is the most common ingredient in lawn pesticides in Box stores. Difference is if you look at there bags active ingredient it states .01% Bifen. Now you pay $30 for that and get 1 use? At 27% you mix .30 of a ounce to 1 gallon of water to cover 1000 sq ft. Better protection and cheaper too. The choice is not hard.

Now if you experience issues with that - you are just not timing your applications at the right time or not doing frequently enough. You must do more than once a season you know?

Now if you want to get hardcore and ensure you do not have a chinch bug issue ever again. Come to Oviedo and go to that place and tell them you have a larger property and you need a bag of Durasban. This will cost you $100.00 however it is a 50lb bag and you only use 3/4 of a lb per 1000 sq ft.
Before anyone thinks they are smart and tells me that Dursban is no longer legal - check you facts. FL does allow this - but is only allowed by law to be sold to those that have commercial need such as sod farms and those who have large properties. So yes it is dursban, aka Chlorpyrifos.

Now I think I helped you right?

Now to your original question. Yes you can lay sod now - actually many consider this the best time to lay so in Central Fl. Why - less heat stress, but still warm enough for roots to settle. Also less chance of fungus being present in lawns which will also destroy simililar to chinch.

Use some of the product I listed above and I can assure if you are applying them in the correct time periods and correct rates - you will not have chinch issues ever again.

Thanks
MJG

rob7233
11-06-2009, 11:26 PM
Okay I'll try to address some issues in this post. I agree November is a fine time to lay sod in central Florida, less pest and pathogen pressure.

Yes, it is illegal to apply pesticides that includes weed and feed products, insecticides and fungicides. If you want all the gritty on it then call Celeste White at the Orange county extension office. In the upcoming years you will see a required fertilizer license in Orange County. To say anything that it's a pain to get and it's all about collecting taxes is well, misinformed.

There are a number of St. Augustine varieties and Floratam is just one of them. Floratam is no longer chinch bug resistant but was said to be when it was first released. Very likely there are a number of chinch bug generations in this lawn so it will need multiple treatments to achieve control given the history of the site. Chinch bugs will generally be attracted first to the areas of the sod that heats up the fastest(look for areas that are next to concrete). What I am also seeing alot of is fungus along with chinch bug damage. This is likely from the HO seeing the grass die and increasing the watering amount. Additionally, you will likely see additional damage to the lawn up to 3 weeks after insecticide treatment and control. So, you might want to factor that when estimating. Just do the job right and don't do any kind of "layover". Good luck.

zturncutter
11-06-2009, 11:44 PM
Okay I'll try to address some issues in this post. I agree November is a fine time to lay sod in central Florida, less pest and pathogen pressure.

Yes, it is illegal to apply pesticides that includes weed and feed products, insecticides and fungicides. If you want all the gritty on it then call Celeste White at the Orange county extension office. In the upcoming years you will see a required fertilizer license in Orange County. To say anything that it's a pain to get and it's all about collecting taxes is well, misinformed.

There are a number of St. Augustine varieties and Floratam is just one of them. Floratam is no longer chinch bug resistant but was said to be when it was first released. Very likely there are a number of chinch bug generations in this lawn so it will need multiple treatments to achieve control given the history of the site. Chinch bugs will generally be attracted first to the areas of the sod that heats up the fastest(look for areas that are next to concrete). What I am also seeing alot of is fungus along with chinch bug damage. This is likely from the HO seeing the grass die and increasing the watering amount. Additionally, you will likely see additional damage to the lawn up to 3 weeks after insecticide treatment and control. So, you might want to factor that when estimating. Just do the job right and don't do any kind of "layover". Good luck.

Thank :clapping:you for your input. I believe a fertilizer license for the entire state is already in the works.

Landscape Poet
11-07-2009, 01:12 AM
Thank :clapping:you for your input. I believe a fertilizer license for the entire state is already in the works.
This is correct - 2014 if I recall from the article in Turf a few months back. I am hoping that it will not be the same as pesticides. I hate the fact that my MO applicators license did not transfer to FL. I think that it is BS that I am expected to work for someone else (under their supervision) to do so - pisses me off because I have more than likely inhaled more pesticides than they have applied..LOL. In all reality I think this is some Large spray companies having their lobbying crews go to work for them. If I was able to apply for THE STATE of MO then why must follow someone in FL unless it is to keep comp down?

iskoos
11-07-2009, 01:13 AM
Now finally after wating for 2 days, I got pretty much all the anwers I have been looking for.:)
Some of you guys gave me really good recommendations. Thank you very much for taking your time. I will use every bit of the info stated here.

Would I ask one more question here? It may be an odd question but remember I am not a professional so I am still learning...

Chinch bug is not working from the roots to damage the lawn; it is working from top(inside the blades). This being said, it that alright to use the recommended pesticide after clearing the top layer(before laying the new sod)?
In other words, if I clear the yard entirely; removed the dead grass, graded it and it is ready to lay the new sod. At this point, is it a smart move to use pesticide direcly on a dirt before laying the new sod?
I generally do it(because I am picky and want to make sure there is nothing left of the bugs) but sometimes I feel that I am wasting the expensive stuff I have when I spray the plain dirt.

I guess I explained myself...:rolleyes:

Thanks...

Landscape Poet
11-07-2009, 01:14 AM
One other thing - It is currently not illegal for you to apply these products to I mentioned to your own property - but they are illegal to do so to your neighbors.

Landscape Poet
11-07-2009, 01:19 AM
To do a quick knockdown of them use the bifen I suggested above. It is very effective at that ratio. However it only last a couple of weeks. This will more than likely be long enough to establish the turf, thus you showing the lawn was installed successfully. The dursban - it is stemthetic and will grow into the actual leaf of the plant as well as stay in the thatch were they like to spend quality time.
Another consideration - you will be introducing new turf to the existing turfs environment - if you do not what fungus looks like - google it and study it to ensure that you do not place new turf with fungus in this yard.

Landscape Poet
11-07-2009, 01:37 AM
It depends. The law says you can apply straight fert no problem. If it has herbicide or pesticide in it (think scott's bonus s) then you have to have an "Ornamental Application License". But, the loophole is it's only illegal if you charge for it. So, if the customer purchases it and you apply it you are in compliance. Confused yet?
Is this accurate? I was told that it was illegal to do this. I have stories of people getting busted for putting down stuff that the owners supposedly purchase and still being fined.

Ric
11-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Guys

There is so much MISINFORMATION in this thread I don't know where to start to correct it. Nor do I have the time or desire to correct all of it.

1st. Just because you can buy building supplies does mean you are licensed to construct a Sky Scraper. And just because you can buy Pesticide does mean you can apply them to any place other than your own property.

2nd. Florida has many different Pesticide license Under Chapters 482 and 487 of state law. A LIMITED Ornamental license is LIMITED to Ornamental beds. A Commercial Lawn & Ornamental license is for Legal treatment of horticulture pests in residential yards both Turf and Ornamentals. There are already local County License for applying Fertilizer in some counties and a state license in the works.

3rd Out of State CPO can get credit towards a Fla CPO certification, However they must work for a Fla CPO company for one year to sit for the Lawn & Ornamental Pesticide Test which is considered the hardest test of its kind in the nation. The same is true for structual pesticide and Termite licenses etc.

4th. Sod laying in November can be successful by a professional. However Fungus is a strong possibility and should be treated as a preventive. Brown Patch Fungus is also called Winter Patch Fungus here because cooler temperature are its best environment. Because of cooler temperature and short hours of sunlight in the winter months, Sod will take longer to establish if laid in the winter months.

Landscape Poet
11-07-2009, 03:24 PM
Guys

There is so much MISINFORMATION in this thread I don't know where to start to correct it. Nor do I have the time or desire to correct all of it.

1st. Just because you can buy building supplies does mean you are licensed to construct a Sky Scraper. And just because you can buy Pesticide does mean you can apply them to any place other than your own property.

2nd. Florida has many different Pesticide license Under Chapters 482 and 487 of state law. A LIMITED Ornamental license is LIMITED to Ornamental beds. A Commercial Lawn & Ornamental license is for Legal treatment of horticulture pests in residential yards both Turf and Ornamentals. There are already local County License for applying Fertilizer in some counties and a state license in the works.

3rd Out of State CPO can get credit towards a Fla CPO certification, However they must work for a Fla CPO company for one year to sit for the Lawn & Ornamental Pesticide Test which is considered the hardest test of its kind in the nation. The same is true for structual pesticide and Termite licenses etc.

4th. Sod laying in November can be successful by a professional. However Fungus is a strong possibility and should be treated as a preventive. Brown Patch Fungus is also called Winter Patch Fungus here because cooler temperature are its best environment. Because of cooler temperature and short hours of sunlight in the winter months, Sod will take longer to establish if laid in the winter months.

Not looking to say you are wrong - or start a fight - but tell me what I have posted that is wrong!

To your point number 1 "Just because you can buy building supplies does mean you are licensed to construct a Sky Scraper. And just because you can buy Pesticide does mean you can apply them to any place other than your own property."
Did I not mention to him that he can buy these for his personal property but not others?

To your 3rd Point: "Out of State CPO can get credit towards a Fla CPO certification, However they must work for a Fla CPO company for one year to sit for the Lawn & Ornamental Pesticide Test which is considered the hardest test of its kind in the nation. The same is true for structual pesticide and Termite licenses etc."
Is this not what I said? I said my license did not transfer - I did not say anything about credits - However I did mention that I though it sucked that I would have to work for another applicator in order to earn the right do so down here.

To your 4th point: 4th. Sod laying in November can be successful by a professional. However Fungus is a strong possibility and should be treated as a preventive. Brown Patch Fungus is also called Winter Patch Fungus here because cooler temperature are its best environment. Because of cooler temperature and short hours of sunlight in the winter months, Sod will take longer to establish if laid in the winter months.
Is this considered the best time to lay sod down her - are October and November not considered the prime time to lay sod even though most contractors and homeowners lay during the summer? Is the chance of fungus more now than during the spring and summer with the abundunt rain and evening temps in the 80's?

Like I said - not trying to fight - just looking to correct myself if I was wrong and continue my education with this FL enviorment.

Ric
11-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Not looking to say you are wrong - or start a fight - but tell me what I have posted that is wrong!

To your point number 1 "Just because you can buy building supplies does mean you are licensed to construct a Sky Scraper. And just because you can buy Pesticide does mean you can apply them to any place other than your own property."
Did I not mention to him that he can buy these for his personal property but not others?

To your 3rd Point: "Out of State CPO can get credit towards a Fla CPO certification, However they must work for a Fla CPO company for one year to sit for the Lawn & Ornamental Pesticide Test which is considered the hardest test of its kind in the nation. The same is true for structual pesticide and Termite licenses etc."
Is this not what I said? I said my license did not transfer - I did not say anything about credits - However I did mention that I though it sucked that I would have to work for another applicator in order to earn the right do so down here.

To your 4th point: 4th. Sod laying in November can be successful by a professional. However Fungus is a strong possibility and should be treated as a preventive. Brown Patch Fungus is also called Winter Patch Fungus here because cooler temperature are its best environment. Because of cooler temperature and short hours of sunlight in the winter months, Sod will take longer to establish if laid in the winter months.
Is this considered the best time to lay sod down her - are October and November not considered the prime time to lay sod even though most contractors and homeowners lay during the summer? Is the chance of fungus more now than during the spring and summer with the abundunt rain and evening temps in the 80's?

Like I said - not trying to fight - just looking to correct myself if I was wrong and continue my education with this FL enviorment.

Micheal

Don't get paranoid I did not direct all my comments at you. Only the one about out of state Licenses. I wasn't sure if you knew you only needed ONE year of Florida Experience. It is not too late to get that experience as long as you can prove you HAD a License in an other state by that state's Records. There are way to get that time without giving up your current business.

If you read what I said about Fungus then that should answer your question. But Summer Heat suppresses Brown Patch Fungus here in Florida. It is still there just not active. Because Turf is Cut and kept on a pallet with out air or sunlight, Most Sod will have some fungus issues. Once laid in summer the Heat issue will suppress Brown Patch fungus which is the most common fungus of St Augustine.

IMHO Because of water restrictions, Just at the start of Rainy Season is the best time of year to lay sod. It is also the start of our Tropical Growing season.

Landscape Poet
11-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Micheal

Don't get paranoid I did not direct all my comments at you. Only the one about out of state Licenses. I wasn't sure if you knew you only needed ONE year of Florida Experience. It is not too late to get that experience as long as you can prove you HAD a License in an other state by that state's Records. There are way to get that time without giving up your current business.

If you read what I said about Fungus then that should answer your question. But Summer Heat suppresses Brown Patch Fungus here in Florida. It is still there just not active. Because Turf is Cut and kept on a pallet with out air or sunlight, Most Sod will have some fungus issues. Once laid in summer the Heat issue will suppress Brown Patch fungus which is the most common fungus of St Augustine.

IMHO Because of water restrictions, Just at the start of Rainy Season is the best time of year to lay sod. It is also the start of our Tropical Growing season.

Thanks Ric,

I understand about the working one year issue - my thing is that I am out on my own doing mostly just mowing and shrubs etc. My main issue is that I am not sure that I really want to go to work for another person and give up what I have built here so far. Not sure it is worth it, except it appears that most of the spray companies up here really do not even care to address most micro issues, just green and top growth. Most have a poor control over weeds also.

I am sure I would be able to prove my license if I do decide to go down that route. One of my licenses was through the State of Missouri as I worked for the Park system there. If not that one then I know my Grandfather will have one hanging around for me as I helped with his farm for several years while still working with the parks system.

I appreciate you input - I review your post often - as I find them informative and beneficial to me - especially since I am still learning about the eco system down here. Everything down here is just a little bit different:confused:!

It is good to hear that insight on turf laying during the summer - Duda Sod farm up here is one of the ones that suggested Oct Nov time frame to me. Since they grow it here - I figured they must have the insight right. Seems like this summer fungus was all over the place most of the time - we had a break about September - then all hell broke loose again.
Just got not spraying my own property with Armada. Just got Fungus again after fall application of fert. First time this season on my own property - had not had any issues since I did Soil Any. and addressed lacking micros. Frustrated to say the least that it broke out again - however I guess when I drag my equipment through others yards I am bound to bring some home too. Going to post a thread on this more than likely today. Look forward to you input on solutions you may have.

Thanks
MJG

Landscape Poet
11-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Ric
Got my lab results - pic of my lawn and info on what I have done to fix fungus in the lawn on Landscape Maintenance section - Mind taking a look at the information given and trying to guide me in the right direction?

unkownfl
11-10-2009, 01:33 AM
I have a limited commercial license in Florida. I can basically apply anything with a caution label and nothing with a warning label. Come spread over on the west side of Orlando and you will get a fine I promise. Especially in Apopka Ocoee Winter Garden and Windermere and instantly in Mt Verde or Ferndale. This is about the worst time of the year to lay sod, but it can still be done with no issues. It will hit low 50's by the end of the week and who knows in the next few weeks. 2400 to replace 2000 sqft is a rip off Im surprised people don't call the cops and say your price gouging thats like a 1900 profit. J/k about the price gouging but damn glad someone is making money.

Ric
11-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Ric
Got my lab results - pic of my lawn and info on what I have done to fix fungus in the lawn on Landscape Maintenance section - Mind taking a look at the information given and trying to guide me in the right direction?

Micheal

Scan your Lab test results and post it in the Pesticide section. You will get a lot of help.

Call the BEPC 1-850-921-4177 In Tallahassee. Tell them what Mo. certification you have on record with that state and can prove by those records. Ask them if those certifications count towards your 3 years experience. The law reads you need 3 years, the last year being here in Florida. If you only need a year I know of CPOs in your area willing to work with you Part time to get that last Florida year. The 3 year law does not require full time employment. You don't have to give up your business.

Ric
11-10-2009, 11:25 AM
I have a limited commercial license in Florida. I can basically apply anything with a caution label and nothing with a warning label. Come spread over on the west side of Orlando and you will get a fine I promise. Especially in Apopka Ocoee Winter Garden and Windermere and instantly in Mt Verde or Ferndale. This is about the worst time of the year to lay sod, but it can still be done with no issues. It will hit low 50's by the end of the week and who knows in the next few weeks. 2400 to replace 2000 sqft is a rip off Im surprised people don't call the cops and say your price gouging thats like a 1900 profit. J/k about the price gouging but damn glad someone is making money.

Unknown

There are pockets of very strong enforcement and no enforcement through out the state. Has to do with both the inspector working that area and his work load. One area I know of DOT also stops pesticide and Fertilizer trucks. DOT can be even harder on you than the BEPC. MSDS, Emergency equipment, Unsecured equipment, and Clean up supplies Etc Etc is what they look for. Once topped they might get you for a slightly wore tire or Burned out light Etc Etc.

I am surprised that the state is not enforcing more give they are broke and Fines provide income. I am reading on the quarterly reports from the BEPC, is maximum fines for those getting caught including CPO using off label etc etc.

BTW Watch because every so often the state will pull all Ag inspectors to a certain area and work a sting for about a week or so. Sometimes they have been know to rework the same area a couple of weeks later. It is past time for them to do it again. Fines can be $ 5,000 per in faction

unkownfl
11-10-2009, 07:15 PM
I have seen city code enforcement writing fines with guys and there back pack sprayer.

PestPro
11-22-2009, 03:56 PM
I am sure I would be able to prove my license if I do decide to go down that route. One of my licenses was through the State of Missouri as I worked for the Park system there. If not that one then I know my Grandfather will have one hanging around for me as I helped with his farm for several years while still working with the parks system.

If you worked for the Parks Dept. big deal, probably all you have is a Right of Way license, which means all you can do is spray weeds for the Parks Dept. The Parks depts holds the license not you. At best you probably have a license number that begins with a "T". Which means you can not apply any chemicl yourself.

As far as your Grandfather having a license hanging around, If he didnt keep up the insurance on it, or didnt renew it, and you went to the RE-cerf. class at least every 3 years. You are out of luck on that one to.

Best thing for you to do if you are talking about Missouri, Is call the Dept of Agr. and find out what you need to do.

I would like to add, if you are doing all this on the sly, Us Pros hate people like you, and you are doing nothing but helping give the Pros a bad name in the customers eyes. If you are doing things right...then I will say I am sorry, for what I just said.

Rick Beaver
11-23-2009, 05:09 PM
zturncutter is not busting on you, he is protecting you. Unfortunately homeowners can go into a Home Depot or Lowes and buy the same products the we apply and use them on their lawns without recourse. However you as a lawn care provider are required in Florida to have a Limited Pest Operators license to apply Roundup, Image, fertilizers etc. The fines are stiff.

He was trying to help.

swflagreenlawn
11-23-2009, 09:16 PM
In the United States, if something requires a licence then you won't be able to get it out of the shelves when you go to store. I went to a nursery and the guy recommended this stuff to me. It is not that I obtained it illegally.

Jeez man!.. What is this resistance? Is it because I am going to do what you guys are doing and then get paid? Do not worry! I do not have any intention to get into lawn business. And I never went out to get paid jobs; did not advertise myself; did not knock on doors. It is just neighbors saw it and then they came up to me. They were all small jobs. Because this specific one is a big job, I came here to ask opinions from professionals but in return I get slammed left and right.
Nobody is forcing nobody here. They came up to me and I will give them my offer. If they want it, then I may consider. If not, then nothing will happen.

Jeez...

As an L/O license holder, it is the "Dead Bug Doug's" like yourself that give the "Industry" a bad rap. Anyone in here who has taken the L&O test can attest to this. The whole problem, is that you didn't tell your neighborhood nursery professional that you were applying this product for profit. If you want to take the L&O, good luck, you will need 3 years in the industry to start.
On a lighter note, you may want to insure that there is proper irrigation coverage before you complete the install. The chinch activity will begin in the drought stressed areas first and then move in for the total kill to the rest of the lawn. Help yourself keep your sanity, and recommend a LICENSED professional for the fert and pest control. Good Luck!!:hammerhead:

Landscape Poet
11-25-2009, 01:36 AM
I would like to add, if you are doing all this on the sly, Us Pros hate people like you, and you are doing nothing but helping give the Pros a bad name in the customers eyes. If you are doing things right...then I will say I am sorry, for what I just said.
*trucewhiteflag*

I am not applying anything down here big boy...LOL... like I said I would like to get the license down here so I can do it....my business down here is all cutting and trimming...would like to add fert and pest to that..but was not aware my year down here did not have to be full time till Ric posted that!!!!

Landscape Poet
11-25-2009, 01:38 AM
Micheal

Scan your Lab test results and post it in the Pesticide section. You will get a lot of help.

Ric, posted this actually under landscape maint. section under a title of Soil Any./Fungus issue. Take a look at it if you would and PM with your thoughts - been fighting fungus on my property since we moved in off and on. Besides making corrections for the Micro's...still getting outbreaks off and on. You input would be appreciated

swflagreenlawn
11-25-2009, 11:49 PM
Michael - No hard feelings, just trying to help. The best advice would be to leave the agronomics to the licensed professionals and we will leave the aesthetics to the mowers. The most profitable thing you can do is hook up with a licensed pest control company and work together (you scratch their back and they'll scratch yours). Trust me it works. Especially with the state fert ordinances in the next 3-4 yrs, you will love us and not the labor and responsibility of the fert apps. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

CkLandscapingOrlando
11-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Well first of all you now need to be BMP cert to even apply straight fert

They will sale you any chimical as long as it's not restricted use. You just cant apply it even for free

Chinch is a symptom not the problem. Find the problem. Usually water

Even Tom Mccubbin cant be positive of chinch from just driving by and I doubt you can.

Most would say this is the best time to do landscaping because less heat and no freeze threat.

If you need so advice or help hit me up 321-231-8890

PestPro
12-19-2009, 08:52 AM
If you want to be known as a Professional in your field, just get licensed and make sure you read, read, read, read. The Label, or you can go to jail, and pay lots of money.

There is lots of good advice on this board. And you know what the right thing is to do, just do it.